Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Got the muffler off! (renamed) (Read 16 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Re: Got the muffler off! (renamed)
Reply #15 - 10/25/07 at 19:59:50

How does one get the 2 muffler pieces apart?
I sprayed it thoroughly with liquid wrench, but they are pretty stuck. And yes, I did remove the clamp.  the pieces don't even swivel! so I guess they are rusted together pretty good!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #16 - 10/25/07 at 20:15:52

It can be very difficult and even a two man or woman job. If you can get it in a vice the gently try separating them by moving the non gripped end backward and forwardand side to side. The way I did mine without a vice was to put wood underneath it to try to prevent damage stand it on it's end and force a small chisel or old screwdriver between the parts where they meet. You will probably have to hammer it in and wiggle it about.
There is usually a part where the header goes into the muffler and I forced a small chisel down there moving it round a bit at a time. The idea is to open up the flange to release the pipe inside.  Dont peel the outside part back too much.  I hope that helps a little
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 10/25/07 at 20:21:07

Unless you going to replace the muffler, I'd leave them together.  But they are just pressed together.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #18 - 10/25/07 at 20:22:37

Thanks, got it off!
By the way.... Does anyone know if the clamp that snugs the gasket to the engine is supposed to be concave? I thought it was normally flat. I put it against the engine by itself, and it wobbles. Doesn't flush against it at all.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #19 - 10/25/07 at 20:24:46

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Unless you going to replace the muffler, I'd leave them together.  But they are just pressed together.

I was going to try and get the rust off, and maybe coat it with enamel or heat resistant paint. If I don't do something about the rust, I will have to replace the muffler within a year. I'd rather not o this again!

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #20 - 10/26/07 at 18:38:29

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Thanks, got it off!
By the way.... Does anyone know if the clamp that snugs the gasket to the engine is supposed to be concave? I thought it was normally flat. I put it against the engine by itself, and it wobbles. Doesn't flush against it at all.

Uh hum! I hope you have new header gasket. Which way is it concave (outside or inside)? According to what I see on my bike (05 S40), the clamp is flat on the outside and I don't remember what shape it was on the inside! Anywho, when retighten them you have do it evenly on both side and bring them up to the TORQUE value. If not you will either strip the threat or break-off the studs Shocked

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #21 - 10/26/07 at 21:58:26

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Uh hum! I hope you have new header gasket. Which way is it concave (outside or inside)?

I'm ordering a bunch of stuff from BikeBandit, including gasket. Most of the screw/bolts were pretty rusty and are not re usable. Also the the previous owner used 2 different screws to tighten the muffler clamp to the engine.

The gasket itself is flat but the clamp that clamps on the pipe to the engine block is concave on the inside, it looked warped! When it was attached it looked crooked and off, and it looks like the soot is directional, so maybe the clamp  did not seal all the way.
Also need a new gasket/sealer thing that's in between the  muffler and the pipe. I'm having some trouble figuring out the number system on BikeBandits diagram for the parts.`

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 10/26/07 at 22:16:22

bb p/n 484442-001

it's #8 in the gasket page

WWW   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #23 - 10/27/07 at 03:25:05

Hmmm,
I punched in the number, but BikeBandit did not recognize it.
I could not find a gasket page.
I think it is part number 5 on this page. 484930-001

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/parts/Suzuki/LS650PX+SAVAGE/1999/707762

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 10/27/07 at 04:30:50

oooooooooooooooH .........  RRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSTTTTT

NASTY NASTY NASTY

Have you thought about building your own header?  Looks like it is time to consider it.   Tongue

It is fun thing to do. Grin   You can get a small welder for about a $100 or so ... well, maybe a bit more since you are way out there in the deep water and isolated on that rock with trees, flowers, fresh breezes and young healthy females running around the beaches with those tiny little pieces of material they call bathing suits ......... Roll Eyes   OK, back to reality, but it was a fun fantasy for a second there.

Anyway, TRY IT- YOU'LL LIKE IT !   Wink

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #25 - 10/27/07 at 09:41:38

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Hmmm,
I punched in the number, but BikeBandit did not recognize it.
I could not find a gasket page.
I think it is part number 5 on this page. 484930-001
http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/assets/schematics/Suzuki...
http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/parts/Suzuki/LS650PX+SAVAGE/1999/707762

IW,
Lancer is right. But if you're on tight budget, you could sand the whole thing down then get some paint that is design to paint barbeque grill (flat or gloss black). From what you describe the condition of the clamp, you might as well order a new one (#3) and a new gasket (#2)  + (#5)+ 2 (#4). I just order a bunch of stuff ($80) from RonAyers.com and free shipping. I ordered stuffs that I dont need need yet but will in the future. Shipping fee is a killer  Shocked

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #26 - 10/27/07 at 13:11:13

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I just order a bunch of stuff ($80) from RonAyers.com and free shipping. I ordered stuffs that I dont need need yet but will in the future. Shipping fee is a killer  Shocked

Well if there is one thing I've learned, is that FREE SHIPPING does not apply to Hawaii (or Alaska for that matter).
I've learned to read the shipping policies before ordering stuff.
The only company that honors the free shipping even to Hawaii is Amazon.com.
Shocked  Just thought of something, maybe they would like to start a different branch of products!!! Shocked

I'm also gonna need #6 and #7 (totally rusted out).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:28:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Got the muffler off! (renamed)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.