Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Got the muffler off! (renamed) (Read 16 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Got the muffler off! (renamed)
10/25/07 at 13:20:16

Hmmmmphhhh!!!
Remember my little muffler shield problem?

I got the nut off believe it or not, tapped slowly at the bracket with hammer and stubby flathead screwdriver, and lots of W-40.
After some amazingly LOUD squeaking while turning the nut it came out. The clamp on the other side is loose.

It's not coming away though. And the muffler shield itself is still solidly mounted. I looked at Clymers, but couldn't find any reference on how to remove the big shield, only the little one in front.
Isn't this thing supposed to come off once you've got the nut off?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: ??? Isn't this supposed to come off now???
Reply #1 - 10/25/07 at 13:39:03

Take a look from underneath.

I think there's 2 more screws hidden somewhere.

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 10/25/07 at 13:42:46

I think they are on the backside of that "fin" that sticks up.  May not be able to see it from underneath, but should be able to feel them from the top.
Might have to take exhaust completely off to get to them though??  Durned if I know, mine isn't stock.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #3 - 10/25/07 at 13:57:17

I did find the reference in Clymer's, and they did say to only take the bolt and clamp off and then remove shield.
Oh well, what the heck! Think I'm going to bench the bike for a while. Need to replace the gasket anyways, might as well take the whole darn thing off.
Say! The engine is not gonna drop tot the ground when I remove the front heat shield and foot peg?
The other bolt will hold it up right? Or do I need to support the engine with a jack or something while doing this?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 10/25/07 at 14:06:52

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Say! The engine is not gonna drop tot the ground when I remove the front heat shield and foot peg?
The other bolt will hold it up right? Or do I need to support the engine with a jack or something while doing this?

Noooo.. the engine will stay where it is.  Shouldn't even move.  Lots more bolts holding it in!  Grin  And you don't pull the bolts out anyway.  The heat shield and footpeg slide off the bolts.
Just remember that those 2 bolts (engine mount/foot peg/small heat shield) have to get REAL tight when putting them back on.  About 55 ft/lb

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #5 - 10/25/07 at 14:08:02

No the engine won't fall,leave your top mount bolted up.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #6 - 10/25/07 at 14:23:11

There are 2 philips head screw on the inside. Little hard to see or get to Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #7 - 10/25/07 at 15:09:42

Thanks guys!
Just finished cleaning carport, and putting new paper on table. (you know me... got to write and tape it all down).
55 ft/lbs Hmmmm...
Who was that again that posted that little torque per inch/foot stuff?
I saw a wrench that had torque measurements on it, really cool, really expensive..$104 OY!

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #8 - 10/25/07 at 15:26:53

vtail wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
There are 2 philips head screw on the inside. Little hard to see or get to Wink

You are RIGHT!!
Found them with a mirror and a flash light.
WHAT KIND OF MORON WOULD DESIGN THAT THING WITH THE SCREWS INSIDE!!
Cr_p! Of course they are utterly rusted!
I put some liquid wrench on it, gonna let it soak for a while!

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #9 - 10/25/07 at 16:22:53

ok, I'm kinda stuck!
Can not get those philips screws off, so I decided to take the muffler holder off. took the bolt on left right side of bike off, bolt on left side is hidden. I can see the end of the bolt coming out but don't really see the head on left side of bike.
So I decided different tactic; get front of muffler off, remove small heat shield and foot peg. Top nut came off (after a lot of turning. bottom nut.... I'm turning and turning and turning and........ I think I've turned it at least 50 times. It is not getting loose enough to turn by hand, but turns easily with wrench. but nut is not coming off.
What do you think is going on???
Got to get that off to get the muffler pipe off.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #10 - 10/25/07 at 16:40:14

IW, you need to have another wrench to keep the bolt from moving while you loosen the nut. Otherwise the darn thing will keep on spinning around and around forever. The head of the bolt is wayyyyy on the other side Smiley

Happy wrenching.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #11 - 10/25/07 at 16:44:38

BTW you also need to loosen up the  2 nuts on the header/exhaust port to easily remove the muffler w/t shield on. Believe me I've been there  Roll Eyes Stupid Suzuki engineer  Angry

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #12 - 10/25/07 at 16:49:10

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
IW, you need to have another wrench to keep the bolt from moving while you loosen the nut. Otherwise the darn thing will keep on spinning around and around forever. The head of the bolt is wayyyyy on the other side Smiley

Happy wrenching.

Embarrassed Embarrassed  I feel like such an idiot!!
The top one came off without having to hold another bolt, so I didn't think the bottom would be any different!

Do I need to take the brake cable off? It's kinda tight and there's not enough room to slide the footpeg off the bolts.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #13 - 10/25/07 at 18:56:09

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
BTW you also need to loosen up the  2 nuts on the header/exhaust port to easily remove the muffler w/t shield on. Believe me I've been there  Roll Eyes Stupid Suzuki engineer  Angry

That was so easy to do it that way!!
I got to write that Clymer's fellow about this! The 2 idiotic screws actually came of without too much trouble.
I'm soaking the 2 muffler pieces, they are kinda rusted together.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Re: Got the muffler off! (renamed)
Reply #14 - 10/25/07 at 19:00:41

Is there supposed to be soot where the muffler meets the engine?

There is also some in the beginning of the pipe.

I'm gonna have my hands full getting the rust off this one.

The shield bracket is just a little crooked!

Got lucky though! no hole in the muffler, but 2 nice size dents!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:29:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Got the muffler off! (renamed)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.