Send Topic Print
Glowing (Read 17 times)
longmi01
YaBB Newbies

Des Moines, IA
Glowing
10/24/07 at 18:41:58

Alright guys,
I've been riding my savage a lot for a little over two months now, and I love every minute of it!  I've been doing some performance upgrades - half spacer, 152.5 main, and finally a dyna muff.  I just picked up the muffler today and bolted it right on.  

Now here's the issue - I just got done with an hour long drive on the freeway (cruising ~70mph) and during it, I happened to look at my muffler, and there was the slightest 4" blue/white flame coming consistently out the back.  

Okay, here's what I'm wondering - is this incomplete combustion because of an incorrect fuel/air mix, or is this just something that happens to everybody.  I got to thinking, and it almost seems like it's unavoidable because of the engine speed.  When traveling so fast, the F/A mix doesn't have enough time to fully combust before ejected.  Is this correct thinking, or am I theorizing too much?  

Also, it seems to me that this could be part of a timing issue where my timing might be slightly retarded and would not be igniting soon enough.  

Oh well, too much thinking for now.  I'm just excited my bike finally sounds like a real motorcycle!  It feels like it runs much better too.  
Later,
Mitch

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Glowing
Reply #1 - 10/24/07 at 18:59:45

I had a similar "problem" after installing my HD muffler.  It seems that I am running very rich (~40mpg).  All I did was change the muffler and now my bike is a blowtorch.  I'm still looking for a solution.  Please let me know if you come up with anything.

IP Logged
longmi01
YaBB Newbies

Des Moines, IA
Reply #2 - 10/24/07 at 19:04:13

It doesn't seem to me that installing a more free flowing muffler would richen the mixture; it should do just the opposite.  However, I haven't been able to ride it enough with this muffler to see what actual effects I have gotten.  As for fuel mileage, I don't think I'm suffering because I filled up with half of the previous tank on the new muffler, and my mileage was about the same, if not better.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #3 - 10/24/07 at 19:20:12

What color is your header now?( blueish or golden) If it's blue then you are still lean; and if it's kind of golden, then you are slightly rich (but OK no worry there). Glowing red inside muff is normal for mine. Maybe others can comment more on this issue.

Cheers;

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
longmi01
YaBB Newbies

Des Moines, IA
Reply #4 - 10/25/07 at 05:22:18

When I got the bike, the header was really blue right at the engine.  Once I upped my main jet and did the spacer mod, I noticed it change from blue to a golden all the way down to the beginning of the stock muffler.  Now that I have the upgraded muffler, I'm not sure if I'm running rich or lean; I figure it should be about right?

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #5 - 10/25/07 at 05:49:13

longmi01 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:

there was the slightest 4" blue/white flame coming consistently out the back.  
Mitch

our pipe and jetting are like yours, and ours runs the same way, i like watching the pretty blue flames Grin. in race engines, that would be unburnt fuel, i presume it is in our savages also

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
longmi01
YaBB Newbies

Des Moines, IA
Reply #6 - 10/25/07 at 08:30:06

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
our pipe and jetting are like yours, and ours runs the same way, i like watching the pretty blue flames Grin. in race engines, that would be unburnt fuel, i presume it is in our savages also

OK.  I was just wondering if I was doing any damage to my bike by having it run this way.  Since it hasn't gone up in flames yet, I figure I don't have to worry about it!

IP Logged
jimbonerz28
YaBB Newbies

Wooo Hoooo!!!

Texas
Reply #7 - 10/25/07 at 19:05:35

mine doesnt blow flame at constant speed but if you twist on the throttle it will blow a 10-12" blue flame out the muffler. it looks like a large propane torch or a small jet engine on afterburner.
I think it looks cool. I wanted to rig a flamethrower set up like on the old school custom cars but now Im having second thoughts, it might melt something or catch my plate on fire.

2k6 S40 Bobber
86 Savage Chopper
97 Ducati Monster M900
73 CB125S (future cafe racer)
2k3 Predator Quad
  IP Logged
platinummonkey
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/27/07 at 22:06:06

omg that is awesome! I kill for a 10-12" flame out the pipe!

Never have to worry about tail-gaiters anymore  Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 10/28/07 at 06:36:09

Don't you mean a 10-12 foot flame?  That would be really cool.  Might melt their plastic bumper and serve them right Tongue

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #10 - 10/28/07 at 20:54:02

I bet, You forgot to mention, that the muffler is debaffled /straight pipe/.
I had the same issue and i loved it and I left it alone. At night at speeds about 75mph and above, I had more than a foot of flame coming from the exhaust. The only thing that I did not like was the gas mileage.
 I have SE II with baffle on my other Savage and there is a lot less flame - more like a glow.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 10/29/07 at 07:10:07

Is there any chance that you guys have been riding around in Southern California in the last couple weeks Tongue

IP Logged
longmi01
YaBB Newbies

Des Moines, IA
Reply #12 - 10/29/07 at 08:19:52

Nope - North Iowa for me.  But a good wildfire might be nice to warm things up here!  Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 10/29/07 at 08:41:27

longmi01 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Nope - North Iowa for me.  But a good wildfire might be nice to warm things up here!  Wink

Tongue

Stinger could probably use a flame thrower setup like yours when he looses something on the side of the road or needs to dry out his helmet Grin

IP Logged
constrapolator
YaBB Newbies

Clymer LS650 Manual,
Page 49, Step #11
 ::cry::

Santa Cruz, CA
Reply #14 - 10/29/07 at 13:21:35

Hmmm...

A LOUD Harley, or a Savage with a flaming tailpipe (Batman style!)...

Who is more bad-ass?

I vote the Savage  Grin

Speaking of which, Batman's gotta have a lousy MPG.

S40 2005, LS650 1996
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:30:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Glowing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.