Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help decoding carb jets (Read 16 times)
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Need help decoding carb jets
10/24/07 at 12:16:40

Last night I went ahead and tore apart the carb.  I've been having some performance issues (stalling, running rich) and wanted to clean out the carb and figure out what jets are in there.  I read the numbers/letters on the pieces and have no idea what they mean.  If someone could tell me I would appreciate it.

Small jet that came out from the bottom (float bowl area): 47.5

Top jet (under the diaphragm): 67.5 or 87.5 (part is missing)

Big tube that the needle sits in: 534 X-6

Needle: 5C17

Those were the only marking on the parts I could find.  I have no idea what they mean and how they work together.

Thanks.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Re: Need help decoding carb jets
Reply #1 - 10/24/07 at 12:52:09

When I did my carb I put in a 50 main jet, and 55 pilot jet, both are located in float bowl area. As far as the ones underneath the diaphragm, they looked good and I didn't replace them. If you have a Clymer's manual you'll see that they don't even have that big jet, they just have a hole there. Maybe a different carb, not a Mikuni, I don't know. Still wondering about that.
I posted some pictures on the how to.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985
You are probably more knowledgeable then I am though.
I also ended up doing the spacer mod (replaced the plastic washer on the needle with a smaller one). That definitely helped.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 10/24/07 at 13:10:28

I was just looking over the carb diagram and noticed that there is a diaphragm assembly that is still on the carb as it's soaking in carb cleaner.  I am assuming it's toast.  

What exactly does that part do?  That was on the last time I dunked the carb.  Angry

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 10/24/07 at 13:13:43

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #4 - 10/24/07 at 13:23:13

toddlamp8 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I was just looking over the carb diagram and noticed that there is a diaphragm assembly that is still on the carb as it's soaking in carb cleaner.  I am assuming it's toast.  

What exactly does that part do?  That was on the last time I dunked the carb.  Angry

You didn't remove the transient enrichment valve cover first?
So you dunked the diaphragm that's in it? OY!
Hmmmm... Maybe no carburetor cleanup got in there! (I'm probably wishful thinking for you).
I found this info for you:

TRANSIENT ENRICHMENT SYSTEM
This transient enrichment system is a device which keeps fuel/air mixture ratio constant in order not to generate unstable combustion when the throttle grip is returned suddenly during high speed driving. For normal operation, joining of the air from upper part of carburetor inlet side to pilot air passage obtains proper fuel/air mixture ratio. But if the throttle valve is suddenly closed, a large negative pressure generated on cylinder side is applied to a diaphragm. The valve @ which interlocks with the diaphragm closes an
air passage, thus, the pressure flows out to the pilot air passage.
This is system to keep the combustion condition constant by varying the fuel/air mixture ratio by controlling air flow in the pilot circuit.

url:
http://www.vx800.net/man_eng/06_Fuel%20and%20lubrication%20system.pdf

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 10/24/07 at 13:26:12

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
When I did my carb I put in a 50 main jet, and 55 pilot jet, both are located in float bowl area

I hope it was a 150 and not a 50 main Wink

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 10/24/07 at 13:29:17

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:

Perfect thank you.

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 10/24/07 at 13:30:33

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
You didn't remove the transient enrichment valve cover first?
So you dunked the diaphragm that's in it? OY!
Hmmmm... Maybe no carburetor cleanup got in there! (I'm probably wishful thinking for you).

Yeah, that's what I was thinking but i'm already looking on RonAyers.com for a new one.  It appears that there are three to choose from.  Does anyone know the correct part number for an 86'?  What does the transient enrichment valve (diaphragm assembly) do?

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #8 - 10/24/07 at 13:35:32

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I hope it was a 150 and not a 50 main Wink

Oops!!!!  Kiss

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #9 - 10/24/07 at 13:36:03

toddlamp8 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking but i'm already looking on RonAyers.com for a new one.  It appears that there are three to choose from.  Does anyone know the correct part number for an 86'?  What does the transient enrichment valve (diaphragm assembly) do?

Just added info to previous post as to what it does
Here you go again:
TRANSIENT ENRICHMENT SYSTEM
This transient enrichment system is a device which keeps fuel/air mixture ratio constant in order not to generate unstable combustion when the throttle grip is returned suddenly during high speed driving. For normal operation, joining of the air from upper part of carburetor inlet side to pilot air passage obtains proper fuel/air mixture ratio. But if the throttle valve is suddenly closed, a large negative pressure generated on cylinder side is applied to a diaphragm. The valve @ which interlocks with the diaphragm closes an
air passage, thus, the pressure flows out to the pilot air passage.
This is system to keep the combustion condition constant by varying the fuel/air mixture ratio by controlling air flow in the pilot circuit.

url:  
http://www.vx800.net/man_eng/06_Fuel%20and%20lubrication%20system.pdf

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 10/24/07 at 13:41:57

Helps to keep it from going BANG when you snap the throttle shut - but these later model engines do it anyway as they are already too lean from the factory

yours is an '86 so your main jet should already be a 155

by the way do you have one grove on the needle or 3 ?

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 10/24/07 at 13:43:38

I might have destroyed the assembly the last time I dunked the carb and that could explain the problems I was having just before I dunked it again.

My needle has one groove on it with a disc attached.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 10/24/07 at 13:56:16

but you only have one where the c-clip goes and not 3? - some of the older carbs had an adjustable height on the needle so you didn't need to mess with the thinkness of the white spacer if you wanted it richer

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 10/24/07 at 14:36:10

When I took my needle out there was the top (with two small phillips screws,  a spring, the white spacers, one c-clip on the only groove on the needle, and another small washer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:19:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need help decoding carb jets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.