Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Missed A Step (Read 7 times)
KCSavage
Ex Member

Missed A Step
10/24/07 at 06:29:13

I am working on replacing the head pleg/cap.  I have the head cover off and realized I forgot to turn the engine to TDC.  Oops!  Embarrassed  Can I still turn it to TDC with the head cover off?  Some simple instruction on how to would be appreciated too.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Missed A Step
Reply #1 - 10/24/07 at 06:36:04

As far as I know.  You don't need to be at TDC to replace the head plug/cap.
The only time that is important is if you are adjusting valves, decomp cable, or doing things that could effect timing (cam chain).
As for how to do it (setting to TDC).. read here:
Adjusting your valves

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 10/24/07 at 06:57:26

certainly better if it's at tdcc - some of the head cover bolts seem to have had an early demise when it's not because of the valve spring pressure - but it sure makes the head cover pop right off - yes you should set it to tdcc before you reinstall it so the little bolts do not need to compress the springs - just go slow as you do it as nothing much is hold the cam in place - you can likely just put it in gear and gently roll it foward until the bottom side of the cam lobes are up.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 10/24/07 at 07:06:29

Good point.   I stand (sit) corrected.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 10/24/07 at 07:22:56

first time I pulled the head cover I did the exact same thing - our instructions were not quite as refined - what may have saved my bolts was the order removed - seems the last I took out were the ones under the valve adjust caps and as I did the head cover just raised up - if you had just a corner left to take out I can see where some damage could happen if the springs were fully compressed

IP Logged
KCSavage
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/24/07 at 07:36:40

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
seems the last I took out were the ones under the valve adjust caps and as I did the head cover just raised up

I did the same.  That's when the light went off that I missed something.  Seems to me that the bolts would be easier to reinstall and torqe down if there is no pressure on the head cap.  I just got in a hurry.  Mostly I just wanted to know if it is safe to turn it to TDC with the cap off.  I think I will slow down a bit and make sure I do the rest correctly.

Thank you to youzguyz and Reelthing for the advice.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 10/24/07 at 07:46:38

if there's any last bit of hard knock advice it would be to get the q-tips and dryout the bolt holes - and use the smallest wrenches you have to tighten these cover bolts - they need so very little torque 5ft/lbs is good enough much over 10ft/lb and they'll likely snap - very light on the sealant around the surface.

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #7 - 10/24/07 at 09:15:47

I did the same. So far no problems  but I think I was a bit heavy with the sealant
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
KCSavage
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/24/07 at 10:17:47

Thanks for all of the advice!

Next Question:
I have access to some RTV Silocone for free here at my job.  It is Loctite Superflex Blue RTV Silicone.  The back of the package says it's high temperature, 500 degree F (400-450 degree F continuous use).  Is that good or should I look for something else rated higher?

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #9 - 10/24/07 at 11:50:44

From what I have seen, most people use the Red.
From what I am reading,  Loctite Red is 600 degree.  Permatex Red is 650 degree.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 10/24/07 at 12:11:20

I used the Permatex Ultra Grey.

Quote:
OEM specified. Designed specially for high-torque and high vibration applications, like those common in import engines, this premium RTV gasket maker exceeds manufacturers' performance requirements. Noncorrosive and low-odor. Maximum vibration resistance, with outstanding resistance to oils, cooling and shop fluids. Guaranteed not to leak. Temperature range -65ºF to 500ºF (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent.

When I was doing the head seal/plug on mine, I read up on the OEM recommendations in the listings at the Autozone and found the ultra grey listed by Suzuki and used it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:33:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Missed A Step

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.