Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anybody Else With An '04 Confused? (Read 6 times)
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Anybody Else With An '04 Confused?
10/23/07 at 15:15:31

Apparently my '04 was built late enough in the year to have a lot of s40 parts so Clymers mauals and mechanics will reference a wrench size or part location slightly off what I actually find. Not enough to cause a problem, just enough to make me wonder if I'm turning the right bolt etc. It kind of makes the bike more unique, because I've got the flash to pass, seat, and bullet tail lights of the s40 but not much else... except things like the clymer will tell you the oil plug is a 17mm instead of the 14 on it, and a couple of the wiring harnesses under the seat aren't quite 'right". I had a dealership parts guy convinced I didn't know what year my bike was until I offered to let him check the d@mned serial #. (I might be country, but I'm not stupid!)  Roll Eyes  It's all back together again and all is fine, I was just curious if anyone else has come across this? Just another quirk in this interesting bike I guess!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Anybody Else With An '04 Confused?
Reply #1 - 10/25/07 at 05:01:20

My '04 had some things that didn't match up with the manual, but I had a manual that wasn't for the '04 so I just figured that was the reason. Never gave any thought to the idea that other peoples '04's might be different.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 10/26/07 at 10:36:33

The earlier Savages had a 17 MM drain plug.  Mine from 2000 is a 14 MM.  My guess is that Clymer just never changed that wrench size since it covers all years...and that is your hint too.  Since the Clymer covers all years so you're gonna get stuff mixed around a bit...

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #3 - 10/26/07 at 17:41:31

Good point about the Clymers, I hadn't thought of that. It still doesn't explain why the two youngest of the local stealership's parts team are consistantly microphishing for the wrong darned parts. (They're also the ones who said I couldn't order a new key for the one my grand daughter lost, that I'd have to have each lock re-keyed at $50 a shot! I went to their competitor in the next town and had it made and shipped in a week!) I've gotten to the point where I go in and ask for one of the two old vets in the back and leave the "boys" to their sportsbikes.

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 10/27/07 at 05:42:11

Southpaw wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
... I've gotten to the point where I go in and ask for one of the two old vets in the back and leave the "boys" to their sportsbikes.

Smartest thin that you can do.  There was a time when sales people at the parts counter had actually gotten all their knowledge at the end of a wrench.  

The young punks at the counters these days, get their knowledge at the end of a mouse.

8)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:17:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anybody Else With An '04 Confused?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.