Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bike shuts off when clutch is engaged? (Read 11 times)
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

bike shuts off when clutch is engaged?
10/22/07 at 20:29:10

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site, but not internet forums.  I just bought my first bike, '98 Suzuki Savage LS650 and I love the first impressions of it.  It's dark dark midnight blue and has 6,xxx miles on it.  It is in real good shape and I have a couple of noob questions and the previous owner can't find the owners manual.  Thanks in advance.

1.  I realize that the choke needs to be pulled out to start the bike when its cold, but which setting on the petcock  is best for optimal operation?  There is pri, on and res?  
2.  The bike sometimes randomly shuts off like it stalls out when I engage the clutch and I'm in either 2nd or 3rd gear?  What would cause this, wrong carb setting?

Thanks again and I'm sure these are minor issues, ones that an experience rider (not me) can explain.

-Matt

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Re: bike shuts off when clutch is engaged?
Reply #1 - 10/22/07 at 21:12:26

mine will start with the petthingy in the on position,unless it has been sitting for awhile, then i use the prime, might be the kick stand switch causing it to stall.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 10/22/07 at 21:15:42

hmm, why would the kickstand switch cause it to stall?  The only time it stalls is when I am slowing down in 2nd or 3rd and I pull the clutch?  I am not even touching the kickstand?

-Matt

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 10/22/07 at 21:47:04

I know this is your first bike, but how long have you been riding?

IP Logged
Gulfstream

Johnny Come Lately

Pooler, Georgia
Reply #4 - 10/22/07 at 22:19:19

If the idle speed is set too low it can exhibit these symptoms.

96-Harley Dyna Muffler, Spacer Mod, 155 Main Jet, New Mopar Yellow Paint.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #5 - 10/23/07 at 05:31:48

Hey Matt- welcome..and if we yank your chain a little, it's only cause we were there once..The Pri means prime.the fuel is gravity fed (only used when the bike has been sitting a while; on is normal position day after day, fuel is vacumn fed from the tank, past the petthingy into the carb..when the bike sputters and looses power about 100-120 miles after a fill up, switch to res (reserve) and head for the nearest gas station.

You shuldn't be stalling when you engage the clutch ..are you slowing down and holding the clutch in for an extended period of time??  Try increasing the idle a touch (screw on left hand side of the engine near the choke..or try giving it a bit more throtttle as you engage the clutch, that will help keep the rpm's up.  

Savage-greg's question is to the point ..which is  if you are on your first miles ever, think about some classes ASAP..be careful, and have fun.. (I think that's where Savage-greg was heading.. Grin

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #6 - 10/23/07 at 09:46:59

i was gonna say that it might be the idle, but that wouldn't make sense to me if it didn't stall when stopped, only when riding.unless he just thinks it does because he cant hear it? the reason i thought it might have been the kickstand switch, was that when i had mine apart and put it back together wrong, it would do that.unless its the vacuum from the petcOck leaking causing it. or the petcOck is clogged. or maybe i've been thinking too much.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #7 - 10/23/07 at 11:05:32

Run your bike in PRI position and see if engine still stall. If not then you can narrow down to your vacumn hose to the petc@ck. Otherwise, kickstand switch is likely the intermitent problem.

Good luck in wrenching.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 10/23/07 at 11:30:30

When shifting, the rpm's will drop lower than the idle setting.  When cold the rpm's will drop a little making the problem worse.

Check out the tech section for lancer straight and simple carb tune and you might bump up the idle speed a little.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 10/23/07 at 13:54:26

There's on '02 owners manual to download in the tech / ref section.  Some minor changes in the bike but gives general idea of things.

I also posted a '01 parts manual there too.  Also some minor changes from '98, but also handy for looking at how things fit.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:18:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bike shuts off when clutch is engaged?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.