Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New camchain snapped
Reply #15 - 10/23/07 at 07:05:14

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
So, what was the mode of failure?

Links pulled thru pins? (cutting pins into many pieces)
Pins pulled thru links? (cutting slots into links)
Links snap? (links break into 2)

verslagen, I believe it was choice number two. Links destroyed

So there my friends is the source of our troubles... soft links!  Most likely someone got a deal on material.  Or they have to use softer material on the worn out dies.

Boooooo!  Hisssss!   Angry

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #16 - 10/23/07 at 09:16:29

The Stealership just called, no dice on letting me have a new chain at no cost especially since I can't find my receipt for when I bought it. So the FireLizard is down for a good long while. Can't afford a new chain and gasket kit. Spent all I had to rebuild her in the first place.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #17 - 10/23/07 at 10:00:35

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
The Stealership just called, no dice on letting me have a new chain at no cost especially since I can't find my receipt for when I bought it. So the FireLizard is down for a good long while. Can't afford a new chain and gasket kit. Spent all I had to rebuild her in the first place.  

If you bought this chain at this stealership, then they should have a record of this. Most of them are now computerized for processing parts and they have your name and address in there. I would not let this die. I would tell that parts manager in no uncertain terms that if this is how they stand behind the products they sell, then I would never do any kind of business with them in the future, and make it my life's ambition to convey that sentiment to any and all fellow bikers I may run across. Like everything in life, if no one is held accountable, then there is no account of BS that will be perpetrated upon you. Good luck and give em hell!

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 10/23/07 at 11:32:45

You mean they can't remember you from a month ago?

And they wonder why you don't go back?

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #19 - 10/23/07 at 13:41:49

Like Rogue_Cheddar says, give the dealer He11.

Hint: Do it when they're busy.  Get real loud that you bought an expensive part and it was defective.  Now they want to forget who you are. ....   You will see them get real cooperative quickly to quiet you down.   They don't want you to affect sales.....

How did you pay. Cash, check or credit card.  The check or credit card would have a paper trail.  Makes for a vaild reason for using those "Check cards" for payments.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 10/23/07 at 14:17:25

If your bikes not stock I dont think the dealership will pay for it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #21 - 10/23/07 at 14:21:40

Can you remember the date you bought it?
If not think back, was there anything else going on that day that might trigger your memory? If it does, was it morning or afternoon? If you do remember, tell them to pull out the register copy for that day (if they are not computerized) and have them look for the amount of cam chain. The register receipt has the time on it. Chances that someone else bought a chain on that day and in that time frame are so slim that they'll have to take your word for it. If yours was the only purchase recently for a chain, than they can also verify through inventory.
I worked retail many years and know what goes on behind the scenes. Good luck and raise a stink!!!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #22 - 10/23/07 at 16:09:10

Copy the url of this thread on a slip of paper and give it to the manager:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Let him come to his own conclusions about what repercussions his actions (or lack of same) will have on him and his business.

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #23 - 10/23/07 at 19:44:48

If he doesn't want to give you satisfaction, then the cam chain in question still belongs to you.

Recover it from the dealership.  Go get it.  If they don't want to give it back to you then something is seriously wrong.

I think something IS wrong with current crop of cam chains running around the motorcycle world (apart from the fact they are not the premium cam chain that IS available, they are the standard heat treated steel construction w/out nitridization of the pins).  

I think somebody shaved some pennies buying chain and has made a reliability pooper scooper event for Suzuki.  Or else somebody in the replacement parts world is peddling some rip-off chains (yes, Morse is aware that people in China and Indonesia are selling rip-off chains that are stamp marked "M" for Morse) that are exhibiting early failure characteristics.

Post the name and phone number of the dealership.  Post the name of the person you deal with if they won't give you back your chain.  Post the name of the person that you talk to at Suzuki of America when you call them about this issue.

How many letters/emails to Suzuki of America will it take to get this fixed?  How many emails directly to Suzuki of Japan?  How many "letters to the editor" sent to major motorcycle magazines?   Having cam chains quit this early isn't a joking matter any more.  There are too many of them now.

No motorcycle brand name wants their "fan base" pissed off at them.  We are tracking the early failures of these "current crop" cam chains.  We have people charting the failures in failure tables.  

Suzuki America/Japan should be wanting the chain back for analysis.  If they are not astute enough to volunteer to analyze the failure mode (and offer a replacement chain in exchange) then perhaps we will have to do it.

=============

Now, is there anything you haven't told us?  Did you have ANY issues when installing the chain?   Were there any signs of stressed or dented areas on the new chain?  Are any of the links motions "stiff" as has been described recently?  Was the chain packaged in Suzuki OEM packaging?

Oldfeller

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #24 - 10/23/07 at 20:40:07

Did you post up on the site here the day you got it running?. That might give you the idea to when you bought it.  Not sure on the law over here but at some places the receipt is not required esp if you paid by card. and if you paid by by credit card they may have some say in the matter.
I would that helps a little
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #25 - 10/24/07 at 01:54:13

My two cents worth ( and not worth much more).

1. Get that busted chain back ASAP before they "lose" it.  Probably shouldn't have given it to them until you had the replacement, but hindsight is 20-20.

2. You only have one reason for them to replace it (it broke).  They have a thousand and one "excuses" why they shouldn't.  Work was not done by them, you did something wrong putting it in (we know you didn't, but can you prove it to them?), you didn't torque the fritzjammer to 3.141579 ft/lb, you tightened the bolts in the wrong pattern, etc, etc.

3. Do what pushing you can as others have stated, at least to get your money back for at least the chain itself.

Good luck!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #26 - 10/24/07 at 04:06:50

There is another good reason to get the cam chain back from the dealership -- you need to "put it back together" on a clean white piece of paper with any loose pieces you took out of the motor simply to figure out if you got ALL the little bitty broken pieces out of the motor.

When the cam chain is assembled at the factory it uses a "staking link" (identical to all the rest of the staking pins except it is put together at a separate staking station"  The staking link is made up of four discrete parts and you need to find ALL of them or you have steel available inside your motor to do more damage.  

If a working link broke you may have a total of 8 little pieces available to chase down.

Have you rolled all your gear forms examining them under a strong light looking for DAMAGE?  When a chain snaps, there are things available to get jammed in the gear forms and give them lasting damage.

Examine the nearby gears for damage.  If you ran some of these bits through your main gears you may have damaged them also.

If this happened, check your cases for cracking while you have it down & open.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #27 - 12/21/07 at 17:54:16

Update on camchain issue:

I finally found the receipt and took it to them. All they were willing to do was credit my card with the price of the chain. (at least they did that much). They had all ready threw out the chain I brought them.

I am still gonna completely tear down my engine so I can make dang sure there are no little pieces of camchain lying in wait to ambush my motor.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #28 - 12/21/07 at 21:04:09

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/21/07 at 17:54:16:
Update on camchain issue:

I finally found the receipt and took it to them. All they were willing to do was credit my card with the price of the chain. (at least they did that much). They had all ready threw out the chain I brought them.

I am still gonna completely tear down my engine so I can make dang sure there are no little pieces of camchain lying in wait to ambush my motor.

I take it you know the cardboard routine when taking the thing apart.

Draw a picture of what the bolts are coming from, then as you take them off, poke them in the appropriate spot on the drawing.  Makes reassembly a breeze.

.....aaahhh the smell of Brake cleaner and Gunk degreaser....what memories....Good luck

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 12/22/07 at 06:52:44

Did you ever get photos of the busted chain?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:15:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New camchain snapped

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.