Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Trashed case? (Read 5 times)
Psycobilly
YaBB Newbies

South Carolina
Trashed case?
10/19/07 at 19:43:28

Hello, I just joined yesterday. I bought a Savage from a kid, who just left this bike out in the yard for about a year. Well, he must have had the idea that taking everything apart would fix it, because that's just what he did. Well, the original story, was it wouldn't start.

Well, I pulled the case cover on the left (drive) side, and found the problem. I am new but will try to describe it the best I can. As the starter gear comes through, there were two gears between the starter, and flywheel? These two gears are busted out of the case, and took a great chunk of aluminum, with them. I figure there are also 10-12 teeth missing on the flywheel.

I will try to post a few pics, so we can evaluate, but for now, that's all I have. A good newbie explination. Undecided

If you don't measure it, it won't get done. If you don't measure right, it won't get done right.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Trashed case?
Reply #1 - 10/20/07 at 06:47:47

Sounds like a real foobar.  How did the kid do that?  Was it a "floating washer" problem?

IP Logged
Psycobilly
YaBB Newbies

South Carolina
Reply #2 - 10/20/07 at 07:05:00

I dunno, what a floating washer is. I guess ignorance is bliss. The first thing is, I wish I knew how it happened, as not to repeat that mistake, as I have no experience with an electric start.

The bike sat up for about five years. Maybe no lube. I could see that happening. I guess when it let loose, it tore out those gears, and then the starter just ginned. Maybe thats why he couldn't get it to fire.

Of course the main point is I'm gonna need a case. The damage is beyond my capability to repair. I will dig out the digital camera today and post the damage.

If you don't measure it, it won't get done. If you don't measure right, it won't get done right.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 10/20/07 at 08:12:08

Psycobilly wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I dunno, what a floating washer is. I guess ignorance is bliss. The first thing is, I wish I knew how it happened, as not to repeat that mistake, as I have no experience with an electric start.

The bike sat up for about five years. Maybe no lube. I could see that happening. I guess when it let loose, it tore out those gears, and then the starter just ginned. Maybe thats why he couldn't get it to fire.

Of course the main point is I'm gonna need a case. The damage is beyond my capability to repair. I will dig out the digital camera today and post the damage.

Is it the outside case or the crankcase that is broken?  Is the case broken around the 2 (same size) starter gears?

IP Logged
Psycobilly
YaBB Newbies

South Carolina
Reply #4 - 10/20/07 at 08:58:39

Yes, the crankcase is where the two gears came loose, but there is no visible damage to the crankcase cover. I'm getting pictures now, so I'll get them posted shortly.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 10/20/07 at 09:06:55

Yes, the crankcase is where the two gears came loose, but there is no visible damage to the crankcase cover. I'm getting pictures now, so I'll get them posted shortly.

So far, this ain't sounding good Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Psycobilly
YaBB Newbies

South Carolina
Reply #6 - 10/20/07 at 09:20:38

Yeah, It ain't looking good either. Still waiting on the camera phone to email me, but I have a good picture of the mess

How available are cases, while I'm waiting?

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #7 - 10/22/07 at 03:19:48

How available are cases, while I'm waiting?

Practicaly none.
Was one for sale in the UK last week on E-bay, went for 78 BrP. New price 560 USD and there's NO bearings nor bolts in it.

You can replace the starter gear ( the one with the missing teeth) and glue the broken-off pieces with JB-weld, has been done before. Search the forum.

After repair make sure the decompression solenoid is working correctly, as this is probably the cause of the failure.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 10/22/07 at 05:19:41

Until I see the photo, I'm not sure what part you are talking about.  Here's a stator and cover for 49.95 on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-Suzuki-LS6-LS650-650-Savage-Magneto-Stato...

And here is a complete bottom end for $199

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-Suzuki-LS6-LS650-650-Engine-Cases-Cranksh...

IP Logged
Psycobilly
YaBB Newbies

South Carolina
Reply #9 - 10/22/07 at 18:20:00

IP Logged
Psycobilly
YaBB Newbies

South Carolina
Reply #10 - 10/22/07 at 18:42:52

Thanks for the links Savage Greg. I need to learn the search lingo for ebay. I tried to post a photo, but couldn't get it to put the pic in the post. Bummer.

I think I need to search the sight a little bit, but don't have the extra time, right now. I have seen a lot of usefull tech.

As for JB Weld, my grandad sweared by the stuff! Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 10/22/07 at 21:49:29

There I messaged that one for you.

Now, what is damaged?

IP Logged
Psycobilly
YaBB Newbies

South Carolina
Reply #12 - 10/23/07 at 03:13:31

I will get digital pics today. I tried to draw a line to the busted holes, using the ebay link you sent. I suck at photo posting, but I can't even get a digital camera to work. Grin Maybe I'll wait until next week to tear into it. With my luck this week, I need to.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #13 - 10/23/07 at 07:34:24

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Until I see the photo, I'm not sure what part you are talking about.

There you go:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA...

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #14 - 10/23/07 at 07:51:22

Like a rule, brocken crankcase means a new engine /there are some exeptions when You can weld and machine the area/, so Your best bet is to put some money together and start looking for one.
You said that the bike was sitting in the yard for a long time. What is the condition of the rest of the bike /inside the tank, electrical, are all the body parts there ?
What year is the bike? How many miles?
There is a fact that the electrical of the engine  /rotor + stator/ must match with the wiring harness and the rest of the el. components . other words- 86-88 model is different from later models.
  After looking at this factors, You will have to decide do you want to fix and keep this bike , or  you will preffer to buy a new one and use this one for parts, or sell the parts off this abd buy a running one.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:24:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trashed case?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.