Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cam Chain Presoak (Read 5 times)
mark_k

Greenfield, IN
Cam Chain Presoak
10/19/07 at 08:12:43

Given the concerns with the premature wear on the cam chain, I have ordered one of the nitrided chains - Thanks to Lancer and Oldfeller. Some of our members - (Can't remember right now which ones) suggested presoaking the cam chain in oil to avoid dry running on startup.

I have used a product in my cars for several years now called Prolong. It is one of the super lubricants, but it bonds molecularly to the friction surfaces. The company does recommend it for engine assembly lube. Just wondering if it might help further reduce the cam chain wear. I realize I can't add it to the oil because of the wet clutch, but should stay bonded to the chain.

Any thoughts??

PS: I have a 1994 Town and Country we bought new. Started using prolong approx 75K miles and it now has over 245K miles. Still uses less than 1 qt in 5k miles between oil changes. Really helped the cold winter starting.

Livin' Life Abundantly
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Cam Chain Presoak
Reply #1 - 10/19/07 at 08:31:47

Hmmm Roll Eyes

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/19/07 at 08:44:45

If it actually bonds to the material, couldn't hurt to soak it in it.

But I'd flush it with regular oil, perhaps oil that's going in the van to make sure none of that good stuff got on the clutch.

WWW   IP Logged
mark_k

Greenfield, IN
Reply #3 - 10/19/07 at 09:32:23

By the way, here's the link to the product web page with info.

http://www.prolong.com/automotive.aspx

Sorry - Senior moment aka Brain Fart

Livin' Life Abundantly
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #4 - 10/23/07 at 09:52:59

gotta be careful with some of those additives as they dont work well with the clutches.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Gulfstream

Johnny Come Lately

Pooler, Georgia
Reply #5 - 10/25/07 at 15:38:10

Prolong is nothing but snake oil. It is a chlorinated product that can/will cause corrosion long term. Chlorine is an excellent high pressure lubricant but at the cost of corrosion. All oils before 1930 had these chlorinated products in them untill the zinc based products came online. If it was such a wonder lubricant ALL the major oil companies would be using it as a base stock additive, but they don't because of its reactive nature. A good dino or synthetic oil is all you need. If you google prolong you'll find a long list of lawsuits levied against the company for false claims.

96-Harley Dyna Muffler, Spacer Mod, 155 Main Jet, New Mopar Yellow Paint.
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #6 - 10/28/07 at 06:09:29

I tend to agree, but I have friends that use it.
He borrowed one of those slug grinders and said the AFMT (Anti Friction Metal Treatment) worked, uses it for years now in his bike, car & ATV. Said they sell it to industrial customers.
He had a case and gave me a bottle , so I added the 2oz to my Sonoma's tranny fluid change.
What can I say, it's still in there.
If he thinks a presoak in Prolong AFMT might help his cam chain then I am sure some others would agree.

Prolong also has/had a line of gun and industrial lubes, chemicals. Appears they were sold about 2 years ago.
I have seen the stuff at the gun shop and they said it sells OK.

I looked & googled; "Prolong",  "Prolong Super Lubricants", "Prolong Super Lubricants vs."
No long list of lawsuits, nothing.
The FTC didn't like their engine treatment ads from what I can tell.
They went after Prolong, Duralube, Slick 50, but also Castrol. Shell, & Valvoline about their claims.
Prolong settled the 1999 FTC complaint.

Gulfstream wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
If you google prolong you'll find a long list of lawsuits levied against the company for false claims.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
mark_k

Greenfield, IN
Reply #7 - 10/29/07 at 07:21:35

My understanding about the lawsuits, is that the FTC went after all of the super lubricants because they did not like the fact that they were making performance claims regarding the friction reductions. They require them to support any claims they make with valid evidence.

Prolong has resolved those suits by submitting the evidence that substantiated their claims and the FTC allowed them to continue making the advertising claim. If they had not been able to substantiate the claims, they would have had to remove them from all of their advertising. (I think Slick 50 also submitted their evidence also and was deemed valid.)

I personally have had very good results with the Prolong. It is fairly expensive retail, but much more reasonable if purchased direct in larger quantities.

I have a hard time thinking that a 3.8 L Chrysler V-6 with 246,000 miles on the original engine, that uses less than 1 quart in 5000 miles, hasn't benefited from the use. I don't see many others out there with similar status.

I am not about to push it on someone else, but I have had good results with it and use it in my 2 cars and 1 truck.

I do think the cam chain would need to be "washed" with regular oil to remove any of the free lubricant after the soak due to the potential for wet clutch problems.

Livin' Life Abundantly
  IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #8 - 10/29/07 at 21:36:40

Just in case anyone would like to see what Prolong has the say about the FTC
http://www.carcaresuperstore.com/faq/index.php?article=17

Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #9 - 10/30/07 at 08:34:38

Correction:
I was wrong it is not "prolong" the stuff is called Protec
Sorry, This is the stuff to soak the cam chain in.
I asked him if it works in wet clutch apps:

"Do not run Prolong- run Protec. Do use it in fizzies. Use it in everything. No probs."
"One of the world’s worst web sites. I need to get them to let me fix it up for them." http://199.238.154.168/ (he has two FZ1's, 4-wheeler, Impala SS, others)
I was confused as they both claim "AFMT".

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:24:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain Presoak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.