great big F off Airhorn (Read 22 times)
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
great big F off Airhorn
10/17/07 at 13:59:39

I have  just bought a 139 db airhorn to remind the freeway people (can't call some of them drivers as I think they must have passed their test at Disneyland) that I am there. I tried to wire it in sunday following the instructions very carefully but alas it wouldn't work. Does anyone of our most learned people of eletrical persuasion know how to wire it up to a separate button using the relay? Or any relay that is easily available really.  I need it on a separate button if possible.
Any advice to offer ?
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: great big F off Airhorn
Reply #1 - 10/17/07 at 14:23:11

I haven't looked at it, but I would think that you'd replace the existing horn with the relay as step 1.  You should be able to hit the switch and either see that it's working or feel it click.

Next, lay in a new wire (18 ga at least) from the battery to the relay and then on to the horn.  If neccessary, horn to ground.  Somewhere, add a fuse.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 10/17/07 at 14:43:22

at an auto parts store a horn relay and an aux.light relay are the same thing.

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 10/17/07 at 15:17:39

Now that you are using less current to rn the relays the horn button contacts may need some claning up. The higher current flow of the horn would make it through any corrosion or build up on the contacts while the lower current flow of the relay might not. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/17/07 at 21:08:23

Max, I try to read everything you post, cuz you seem to know a lot of stuff. This thing about a relay handling higher currents but not lower currents without a cleaning has me baffled. Can you splain that? I have 9 months intensive training by the Air Force in electronics( not to be confused with my personal competence, just exposure to training) & I have fixxed a few things, copiers & cash registers, but this point you are making is way outside anything I can "see" in my mind.  So, I am not trying to be a jerk, just wish I understood how this works.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 10/17/07 at 22:08:54

SteveRocket1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I have  just bought a 139 db airhorn to remind the freeway people (can't call some of them drivers as I think they must have passed their test at Disneyland) that I am there. I tried to wire it in sunday following the instructions very carefully but alas it wouldn't work. Does anyone of our most learned people of eletrical persuasion know how to wire it up to a separate button using the relay? Or any relay that is easily available really.  I need it on a separate button if possible.
Any advice to offer ?
Steve

Does the horn work if you quickly touch it to the battery or another 12V source?

You have a separate button and relay?  Does that horn need a relay?

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #6 - 10/17/07 at 22:19:51

yes the airhorn works straight onto the battery and the standard horn works fine. I think the issue maybe that I think the wire to the horn is always live and therefore the switch must be the negative side or after the horn itself. I think when I wired up the relay it should have been wired the other way as perhaps the people who wrote the instructions didn't expect that the positive side was live all the time.  Not really sure or even if the relay was any good.
Thanks for the help
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 10/18/07 at 12:08:33

Justin said, " just wish I understood how this works".
Sorry I confused you, a relay lets you use a small amount of current flow to control a much larger amount; example, 2 amps to control 10. If you understand transisters it is much like one. Most relays can be controlled either by applied B+ and grounding either internally or at the mounting point, or control being ground with B+ always there (usually with the key on). Seems like the ones (air horns) I used to use worked fine, same with the loud snail horn I have now with the supplied relay. I haven't yet installed the one with the compressor built into the horn package. But it is loud on a bench test. The horn button on the Savage is made to control the small current our OE horn uses, when running higher load of a larger horn (or compressor) the relay saves the contact points in the horn switch from arcing and wearing away. The coil that pulls the high current points together in the relay effectively limit control side current flow and save the switch contacts from early failure. Hope this helps, if not let me know. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 10/18/07 at 18:54:51

Steve,
 The original horn has power running thru it.  Then to the switch, which completes the circuit by taking the power to ground.

Does that help??

T.M.

Edited:  I think it's called a switched ground.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #9 - 10/22/07 at 01:25:32

Steve:  What you need to do is make the original horn button switch the ground on the "low side" of the relay, just as though it were the original horn. The the "high side" of the relay can be used to switch either the power or ground of the new horn. As mentioned, add an adequate inline fuse in the circuit somewhere.

Max & Justin: I think you guys are having a communication breakdown: Justin: I think what Max means is that the contacts in the original horn button might pass the higher current draw (load) of a big horn; then due to corrosion or damage, fail to pass a smaller current as required by the low side of a relay. (Though I would usually think of voltage as being the force which makes a contact arc and complete a circuit.)

If you have worked on a lot of electronics stuff with relays, then you might have had the occasion to "burnish" the contacts of a relay. Like the old-time practice of "filing" the points in an old style ignition to get a few hundred more miles out of a set of points. I've "burnished" the contactors (gigantic relay contacts) of some really big relays used to switch massive amounts of juice on electromotive vehicles like locomotive power.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #10 - 10/22/07 at 02:59:29

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
 The original horn has power running thru it.  Then to the switch, which completes the circuit by taking the power to ground.

Edited:  I think it's called a switched ground.  

A relay usualy has 4 connections: 2 for the coil and 2 to switch the large current.
Connect the 2 OEM wires to the coil connectors, this lets you operate the relay.
Next run a thick wire from the battery + with an in-line fuse to the relay. Connect the other side of the relay to the comp. or horn + side. Connect the - side of the horn to ground . Finished.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #11 - 10/22/07 at 08:42:30

Thank you one and all  I will attempt to get the horn running again soon, after next weekends rear wheel change.  Did the front brake pads this Saturday, many thanks also to those who contributed to the Tech Section

Steve

IP Logged
TheFid

WE Come Unclean.

U.K.  Morecambe
Reply #12 - 11/01/07 at 06:11:28

[url][/url]
Not a air horn, but a truck horn. Makes them jump.

Take it easy.but TAKE IT.
Man does not cease to ride because he gets old,Man gets old because he ceases to RIDE.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:18:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › great big F off Airhorn

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.