Send Topic Print
Stuck on clutch install (Read 23 times)
fla-shadow
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Florida
Stuck on clutch install
10/16/07 at 20:44:17

Help!!  I am stuck on a clutch install.  I think that I may have tightened the bolts down to tight on the release plate.  

I replaced the clutch plates per the Clymer Manual and I had ZERO pressure on the clutch lever.  I removed the engine cover and removed the 4 bolts holding the release plat in place.  I looked at the clutch assembly on the bike and in the book.  I cannot find anything wrong at this time.  

My best guess is that I might not need to tighten the bolts on the release plate all the way down until the bottom out.  This may allow the springs assembly to perform some kind of useful function.  

Please let me know if there is any secret to tightening down the release plate over the clutch springs.  So I tighten them all the way down?  If not, then how much room should I leave for the springs to activate and how can I measure it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  The Savage is out of commission until I can get this solved.

Thanks,
fla-shadow

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Stuck on clutch install
Reply #1 - 10/16/07 at 21:04:22

I'm sure the Clymer states a torque value for the release plate bolts...therefore they are tightened all the way down.

Did you reinstall the pushrod?

IP Logged
fla-shadow
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Florida
Reply #2 - 10/16/07 at 21:33:04

I believe that I installed the pushrod.  I after re-reading the manual, it appears that I was correct in tightening the bolts over the springs down all of the way.  I must have missed something during the install.

I will tear down and re-install the clutch basket tonight.  This time I will double check the pictures, diagrams, and instructions in the manual to see make sue the I did not miss anything.  I will also check to make sure that I do not have any "extra" or "missing" parts after the install.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,

Fla-Shadow

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #3 - 10/17/07 at 06:02:20

You probably have installed the oil-pump drive gear, on the back of the clutch-basket,  the wrong way around.

If so, you're not the first one to do so.

Check the Clymers, there's a clear picture of the assembly.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 10/17/07 at 07:11:40

Oh yeah, good point...if you did install it wrong, you can be glad the clutch doesn't work.

IP Logged
fla-shadow
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Florida
Reply #5 - 10/17/07 at 17:21:45

I have the clutch working now.  My third attempt at re-assembly worked.

I think that the Clymer manual has an error in it.  It calls for disc # 1 to have the smallest thickness at 3.00 mm and disc 2 to be larger at 3.5mm.  My EBC kit had 5 discs at 3.0 mm and 1 disc at 3.5 mm.  When I installed the 3.0 mm disc in the #1 position, it was hitting on the wave washer and preventing the clutch assembly from fully closing.  This must have resulted in the pushrod from being further away from the actuator arm and not giving any pressure on the clutch lever.

I measured the old clutch discs that I had already removed and found out that the one unique disc was the thickest, (near 3.5mm), and the other 5 were smaller, (near 3.0mm).  Then I cross referenced the EBC part Number to verify that I had the right kit.

Next, I checked out the microfiche on 3 websites to eventually discover that the inside diameter of disc # 1 is supposed to be 120mm and the rest of the discs should be 116 mm.  The thickest disc in my kit measured 120 mm, so I tried installing it in position #1.  The 120 mm diameter fit past the wave washer and the clutch assembled properly.  I only push tested the bike so far.  I will finish putting on the exhaust tonight and take it for a test drive tomorrow.

Thanks for reminding me to read the directions.  When I took my time on the final assembly, I spent more time on the pictures than on the wording.  It took some time to find the error in the book, but the clutch appears to be working properly now.

Thanks,

Fla-shadow

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 10/17/07 at 18:20:24

fla-shadow wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:

I think that the Clymer manual has an error in it.  It calls for disc # 1 to have the smallest thickness at 3.00 mm and disc 2 to be larger at 3.5mm.  My EBC kit had 5 discs at 3.0 mm and 1 disc at 3.5 mm.  When I installed the 3.0 mm disc in the #1 position, it was hitting on the wave washer and preventing the clutch assembly from fully closing.  This must have resulted in the pushrod from being further away from the actuator arm and not giving any pressure on the clutch lever.

I measured the old clutch discs that I had already removed and found out that the one unique disc was the thickest, (near 3.5mm), and the other 5 were smaller, (near 3.0mm).  Then I cross referenced the EBC part Number to verify that I had the right kit.

Next, I checked out the microfiche on 3 websites to eventually discover that the inside diameter of disc # 1 is supposed to be 120mm and the rest of the discs should be 116 mm.  The thickest disc in my kit measured 120 mm, so I tried installing it in position #1.  The 120 mm diameter fit past the wave washer and the clutch assembled properly.  I only push tested the bike so far.  I will finish putting on the exhaust tonight and take it for a test drive tomorrow.

Thanks for reminding me to read the directions.  When I took my time on the final assembly, I spent more time on the pictures than on the wording.  It took some time to find the error in the book, but the clutch appears to be working properly now.

Thanks,

Fla-shadow

If you determine there is an error in the Clymer manual, please add it to the thread on Clymer errors in the Tech Ref forum.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #7 - 10/17/07 at 19:09:44

I was just about to suggest that! Beat me to it.  Wink

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 10/17/07 at 22:25:22

fla-shadow wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:

Thanks,

Fla-shadow

I don't even know why the Clymer goes into the thickness of Disk 1 or 2....  

Disk 1 is the only one that has a larger ID then all the rest.  That is so that it fits over the wave washer.

But since you had them switched around, it makes perfect sense now.  Have to remember this for the next time it comes up.  No wonder you were asking about whether to tighten the springs all the way down.  The stack was too big the other way.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:24:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stuck on clutch install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.