Think I found the hole! (Read 95 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Think I found the hole!
10/16/07 at 16:01:13

Well I tried to "feel" today where the hole in the muffler might be. I started her op and felt around the area that had a bunch of soot (underneath the bike). I felt air hitting my hand and sprayed soap on it, sure enough, bubbles!
Just so you can see what we have to deal with here in Hawaii, a picture of my unsightly muffler.

I think this bike was dropped at some point, or hit a high speed bump. Look where the bracket is bent, and poking into the muffler pipe. I think that's where the culprit is. What do you think?
How am I going to get that straightened out? I'm going to have to bend the metal piece just to get to the bolt.
this is going to require lots of liquid wrench!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Think I found the hole!
Reply #1 - 10/16/07 at 16:11:04

Small chisel & a 1 pound hammer, drive the bent piece off of the head of the bolt far enough to get a socket on. You may be able to get something longer, like a pry bar on there, I dunno. I like hallering on longer things, it gives my fingers time to retreat if I mess up with the hammer. Yea, the fact it's been smacked is part of the problem. Most likely, anyway.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 10/16/07 at 19:27:08

The air you're feeling is coming form the slots in the end of the muffler, bad gasket thing/doughnut.  That is if yo have the OEM muffler.

I think clamp most likely is history.  Trying to save it may need more banging than the muffler could handle.

I think a dremel and cut-off wheel would be a good choice.  Get the strap almost cut thru and then a small screwdriver to break the remaining metal.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #3 - 10/16/07 at 19:42:48

Is the strap an OEM part, or can I get a muffler clamp from the auto part store?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 10/16/07 at 21:16:49

Start with WD40 when it is cold.  Liberally.  Wait a long while.

Try to bend if off the bolt head (as mentioned) and get a socket on it and loosen it...

Could get a torch involved too to loosen it up but you might need help with that....T-Mack mentioned a Dremel.  Yep.  Be careful.

Somebody was leaning good on that side, eh?  Or was it a speed bump?  Or climbing a volcano?

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #5 - 10/17/07 at 01:42:56

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Or climbing a volcano?

I think if it had been a volcano the muffler might have actually looked fascinating!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 10/17/07 at 07:13:31

Well, you can look at it like this...that rust is in the best possible place.  Out of sight Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 10/17/07 at 08:42:55

Before any grinding, make sure the battery overflow is either plugged or isolated.  Or remove battery entirely.

Sparks can ignite battery fumes which are hydrogen.

Don't want to see explode the battery.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 10/17/07 at 09:09:13

Gee, I can't believe I forgot to ment ion that little detail. Good call, cuz I popped mine..it was pretty spectacular, too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #9 - 10/17/07 at 09:24:38

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Before any grinding, make sure the battery overflow is either plugged or isolated.  Or remove battery entirely.

Sparks can ignite battery fumes which are hydrogen.

Don't want to see explode the battery.

I ended up buying a pretty expensive battery when I got the bike, it doesn't have an overflow like the OEM one. But I'll disconnect the negative just for safety.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #10 - 10/17/07 at 11:48:53

harleys use exhaust clamps like those, automotive type look more like "u" bolts. a chisel type tool, should be able persuade that bracket clear enough to get a socket on the bolt. i'd use a 1/2" drive ratchet, and plan on the bolt breaking, but your luck may be better than mine.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 10/17/07 at 13:44:07

These folks seem to have most of what I've looked for in exhaust supplies (and a lot of other good stuff too).

http://www.jegs.com/

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #12 - 10/17/07 at 19:13:51

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
but your luck may be better than mine.

Now I had to laugh!!
I guess by seeing how many posts I've posted since the end of July, you can establish I've not been very lucky so far. In fact it's dawning on me that I bought a lemon! Still love her, but boy!!!! I'm just about ready to put her into a junkyard!
(nah, not really, but I am getting tired of fixing things).

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 10/17/07 at 22:15:30

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I ended up buying a pretty expensive battery when I got the bike, it doesn't have an overflow like the OEM one. But I'll disconnect the negative just for safety.

Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 10/17/07 at 22:18:16

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Now I had to laugh!!
I guess by seeing how many posts I've posted since the end of July, you can establish I've not been very lucky so far. In fact it's dawning on me that I bought a lemon! Still love her, but boy!!!! I'm just about ready to put her into a junkyard!
(nah, not really, but I am getting tired of fixing things).

Why do you call it a Lemon?  I'm thinking that it was just abused.

Now, did you feed that clamp some WD40?  It looks undernourished.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:32:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Think I found the hole!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.