Send Topic Print
Carb spewing fuel (Read 72 times)
CapMorgan
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Carb spewing fuel
10/15/07 at 20:46:00

The wife's '99 has started spewing fuel out of one of the carb vent hoses.  If sitting on the bike, looking down to the left side, the vent hose coming up from the left side of the carb (throttle cable side) will spew fuel.  It does it mostly at idle.  From my older car carb experience, I suspected a dirty/damaged bowl float needle/valve assembly, allowing excess fuel to fill up the bowl and overflow out the vent, stopping at higher rpm due to more fuel being used, then overflowing again at idle.   I disassembled the carb and cleaned the needle and seat.  The needle seemed ok, couldn't visualize the seat valve real well (didnt remove it).  I pulled the top of the carb off, and there was obvious fuel in the area on top of the slide diaphragm, but the diaphragm looked intact and in good shape.  I cleaned it up and put it all back together, and it still does it.   Anyone have any ideas re; what else might cause this?  If not, I'll likely order up a new needle/seat assembly, but I want to rule out other possible causes first.  Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Carb spewing fuel
Reply #1 - 10/15/07 at 20:53:25

Now take off the bottom part and check the float, make sure its not sticking.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
CapMorgan
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 10/15/07 at 21:00:53

Yonuh,
I did that... that's the float needle and seat that I cleaned and inspected.  

"I disassembled the carb and cleaned the needle and seat.  The needle seemed ok, couldn't visualize the seat valve real well (didnt remove it)."

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 10/15/07 at 21:20:27

the other area that causes some too much fuel problems is the petc0ck - might pull the vac line off that runs from the carb to the back side - should not be any fuel in that line - but when the petc0ck goes they'll usually run like crap as straight fuel is sucked into the intake

when you had the float out did you shake it to see if had any fuel in it?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 10/15/07 at 21:30:48

If it is still leaking, then take it all apart and replace the float valve (needle) and seat, as said above.  There might be dirt in there.  Take the carb apart if need be.  Might need a new float valve too.  Don't just look at it.  That is the only reason that you have leaking out of the vent hose...

Of course, it starts at idle because the bike is running and the pete0ck is turned on because of the vacuum.

PS - I have a Vulcan in the garage that is spewing gas out of one of it's Keihins for the same darned reason.

Good luck.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 10/15/07 at 21:33:26

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
the other area that causes some too much fuel problems is the petc0ck - might pull the vac line off that runs from the carb to the back side - should not be any fuel in that line - but when the petc0ck goes they'll usually run like crap as straight fuel is sucked into the intake

when you had the float out did you shake it to see if had any fuel in it?

Yeah, but if the petc0ck is leaking, then gas goes in the engine or the air box, but it can't get back in the bowl in order to come out the vent hose...

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 10/16/07 at 08:11:13

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Yeah, but if the petc0ck is leaking, then gas goes in the engine or the air box, but it can't get back in the bowl in order to come out the vent hose...

agreed - I sure don't see how it could get in there either except through the float needle - and sure doesn't take much of a wear ring to prevent it good seal - nor would it suprise me if this e-10 fuel didn't shorten the life of that little rubber tip

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 10/16/07 at 08:21:24

The problem on the Vulcan is a bit more pronounced due to the fuel pump plus a little more disguised because the vent tubes are connected to the emissions cannister...

...WTF, why is there gas dripping under the radiator?  The cannister was full of gas.  Now, that's emission control!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 10/16/07 at 08:23:20

Oh yeah...what if the float don't float or is adjusted too high?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #9 - 10/16/07 at 08:49:01

CapMorgan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Yonuh,
I did that... that's the float needle and seat that I cleaned and inspected.  

"I disassembled the carb and cleaned the needle and seat.  The needle seemed ok, couldn't visualize the seat valve real well (didnt remove it)."

Okay, sorry about that, I mis-read it. Brain not working too well lately because of all these blasted migraines I've been having.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 10/16/07 at 10:51:04

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Okay, sorry about that, I mis-read it. Brain not working too well lately because of all these blasted migraines I've been having.

Migraines suck.  Not the same but similar pain...I just finished a cluster season.  Get your doctor to prescribe some oxygen.  Best medicine around.

IP Logged
Jazzdude
YaBB Newbies

Love my Savage!

Northern California
Reply #11 - 10/16/07 at 11:01:45

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
the other area that causes some too much fuel problems is the petc0ck - might pull the vac line off that runs from the carb to the back side - should not be any fuel in that line..."

That's exactly what happened with my '88 Savage a couple of years ago.  I first suspected the float, took off the carb, and cleaned the float and just about everything else.  As I was putting the carb back on, I noticed fuel in the vacuum line.  That tipped me off to check the petc0ck.  Replaced the assembly and have had no problems since...

rmgray2001   IP Logged
CapMorgan
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 10/28/07 at 22:18:58

Well, as I originally suspected, it was the float needle/valve seal.  When I pulled the old one to install the new one, I looked a bit closer, and there was a small wear ring on the needle.  The new one fixed the problem, with no further problems.  The wife was so stoked that it was working again.  We spent the whole afternoon putting around back roads, and practicing in a local community college parking lot.  She's scheduled to take her MSF course at the end of the month, and was dying to get in some "pre-lessons" and practice.  I logged on here to see if there were any other possibilities I should check before replacing the needle and valve.  Thanks to all who chimed in with ideas and suggestions.

IP Logged
newrider55
YaBB Newbies

New rider and loving
it.

Climax, MI
Reply #13 - 10/29/07 at 05:24:45

Speaking of Spewing fuel.. My LS is having diffulty starting.  Seems as though it may be flooded.  Smell gas after cranking few seconds and have to hold the throtle wide open before it will fire.  Have not yet taken anything apart as not sure where to start with diaganosing this problem.  Bought with Supertrapp and the carb had been modified.  Any ideas where to start?

'97 Black LS650
Supertrapp, Mod Carb
'02 Silver LS650 Stock
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 10/30/07 at 06:34:54

newrider55 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Speaking of Spewing fuel.. My LS is having diffulty starting.  Seems as though it may be flooded.  Smell gas after cranking few seconds and have to hold the throtle wide open before it will fire.  Have not yet taken anything apart as not sure where to start with diaganosing this problem.  Bought with Supertrapp and the carb had been modified.  Any ideas where to start?

Ok, the first thing to check is the oil - is there too much and does it smell strong of gasoline? if so you have a total failure of the petc0ck diaphram - not real common - but it does happen and will toast your engine

2nd - is there even a little bit of fuel in the vac line that runs from the carb to the petc0ck - should never be any - if so you have a failing petc0ck diaphram - it will make it run rich and should be fixed before Item 1 can happen

Next up I think would be to figure out what has been done to the carb - like what jet's are in it now - some folks get carried away, and what if anything has been done to the white spacer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:23:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb spewing fuel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.