Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Carb Question (Read 5 times)
Gulfstream

Johnny Come Lately

Pooler, Georgia
Carb Question
10/15/07 at 18:14:54

Need help from a carb guru. I've done the 1/2 spacer mod and rejetted to 155 main/52.5 Pilot. Problem is I have a real rich condition on throttle close that lasts to idle. If I rev the motor and chop the throttle I get a couple of black smoke "puffs"...once I'm back to idle everthing returns to normal. When the bikes being ridden and the throttle is closed I'm getting about a 1-2 second flame out the exhaust. Is this evidence of a too rich of a Pilot screw adjustment? Other mods that may apply are a Dyna muffler and a K&N air cleaner with an open box (snorkle and side door removed.

96-Harley Dyna Muffler, Spacer Mod, 155 Main Jet, New Mopar Yellow Paint.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Carb Question
Reply #1 - 10/15/07 at 19:23:50

Gulfstream wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Need help from a carb guru. I've done the 1/2 spacer mod and rejetted to 155 main/52.5 Pilot. Problem is I have a real rich condition on throttle close that lasts to idle. If I rev the motor and chop the throttle I get a couple of black smoke "puffs"...once I'm back to idle everthing returns to normal. When the bikes being ridden and the throttle is closed I'm getting about a 1-2 second flame out the exhaust. Is this evidence of a too rich of a Pilot screw adjustment? Other mods that may apply are a Dyna muffler and a K&N air cleaner with an open box (snorkle and side door removed.

Sent PM

IP Logged
Gulfstream

Johnny Come Lately

Pooler, Georgia
Reply #2 - 10/15/07 at 19:46:19

Thanks Mike, I was hoping you would chime in. I'll take a look at the pilot screw adjustment...I was suspecting it from the beginning.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 10/15/07 at 22:01:26

Do you have an exhaust that is not stock?  If you don't have an aftermarket pipe then you are too rich because of the 155  main.  Change it back to a 147.5 - 150 and you'll be fine.

With a stock pipe it doesn't take much to fix backfires.  Too many people just "super size" and install a 155 main.

IP Logged
Gulfstream

Johnny Come Lately

Pooler, Georgia
Reply #4 - 10/16/07 at 10:26:18

Greg, I have a Dyna muffler and a K&N filter with an open box...I figure the increased flow would lean the mixture out some thus the 155 main. It runs very well in all modes except the rich spike on throttle close. I've got to tear the head cover off this coming weekend to fix an oil cap/plug leak and will readjust the pilot screw then...that should be the only circuit active on throttle chop, I think I probably have it adjusted too far out now.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 10/16/07 at 10:48:25

Gulfstream wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Greg, I have a Dyna muffler and a K&N filter with an open box...I figure the increased flow would lean the mixture out some thus the 155 main. It runs very well in all modes except the rich spike on throttle close. I've got to tear the head cover off this coming weekend to fix an oil cap/plug leak and will readjust the pilot screw then...that should be the only circuit active on throttle chop, I think I probably have it adjusted too far out now.

I don't make suggestions lightly...

I have a K&N pod, a ported exhaust, a much larger and freer flowing Raask exhaust but use just a 155.  Your header pipe is the restriction.

It's up to you.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #6 - 10/16/07 at 11:34:07

Like Greg said, looks like you're way to rich for that set-up combo. I'm running a Mac muff that you can look straight thru and the same other mods, but a 155 main sooted the pipe and I backed off to a 152.5 and now my pipe stays clean and bike runs great with a pop now and then. But that's Oke. You might try 150 with that slighly restrictive Harley muff  Cheesy

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 10/16/07 at 13:49:13

One thing you can do that is quick and easy is to get into 3rd gear and peg the throttle wide open and let-r rip.  If it bogs or hesitates at all then the main jet is too big.  If the mix is good then it will run like a scalded dog.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 10/16/07 at 13:58:14

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
One thing you can do that is quick and easy is to get into 3rd gear and peg the throttle wide open and let-r rip.  If it bogs or hesitates at all then the main jet is too big.  If the mix is good then it will run like a scalded dog.

That's like saying that if you throw the piston, you're go to go Tongue Grin

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 10/16/07 at 14:25:30

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
That's like saying that if you throw the piston, you're go to go Tongue Grin

Who?  Where?   Throw the piston ? ? ? ? ?  Tongue

It's just a quick and dirty broad range guide, not exact but gives you an idea.    Grin

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 10/16/07 at 19:43:38

now - if i remember "gross" jet setting - how that works is nail it and back off - if you pickup a little speed - say a small surge of power backing off just a little - the main jet is too big.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 10/17/07 at 02:53:33

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
now - if i remember "gross" jet setting - how that works is nail it and back off - if you pickup a little speed - say a small surge of power backing off just a little - the main jet is too big.

You are correct, I forgot to include that earlier.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 10/17/07 at 07:02:00

Check the plug too...maybe if you have the head cap off you can do a plug chop, too...

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 10/19/07 at 18:36:11

I'm having a similar problem.  I just changed the exhaust to the HD muffler and I'm getting 40mpgs, soot on the rear brake, and flames.  I never touch the carb.  I've got an 86' and have a 155 jet stock.

I did just notice that my idle screw had to o-ring on it, but I don't quite understand what's going on.  With the stock exhaust everything seem to be running great.  Is the HD muff MORE restrictive???

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 10/20/07 at 07:00:08

toddlamp8 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I'm having a similar problem.  I just changed the exhaust to the HD muffler and I'm getting 40mpgs, soot on the rear brake, and flames.  I never touch the carb.  I've got an 86' and have a 155 jet stock.

I did just notice that my idle screw had to o-ring on it, but I don't quite understand what's going on.  With the stock exhaust everything seem to be running great.  Is the HD muff MORE restrictive???

Don't know exactly what an "HD mufler" means, but I do know that if it wasn't designed for the Savage that you can get unpredictable results.

Is "had to o-ring on it" a typo?  Does it have 2 o-rings on it?

One thing for sure, soot means you are too rich.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:15:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.