Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oops! Might have done something stupid! (Read 8 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Oops! Might have done something stupid!
10/14/07 at 21:13:25

When I first got the bike, and it was running so bad, I looked at the air filter and noticed how dirty and oily it was.
So me bing the neatfreak, decided to clean it up seeing as it was some sort of fabric. I washed it with lukewarm soapy water the get the dirt out, and laid it in the sun to dry for a day. It looked brand new when I was done.
Now I just read oldfeller2's post talking about his oily air filter.
So what?? That thing is meant to be oily? ughhh

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Oops! Might have done something stupid!
Reply #1 - 10/14/07 at 21:21:34

No that isn't the usual way to clean them but you probably did no harm as long as there are no holes in the filter media. "OF2" is using a modified filter media he is researching by trial and error. Maybe he will point out the location of his previous posts on that subject. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #2 - 10/14/07 at 21:58:06

Thanks Max. There we no visible to the eye kind of holes anywhere, so hopefully I'm safe. Need to purchase a new one, but haven't done so yet. What do you think of those generic paper filters? They fit the savage, but I wasn't sure about their effect on the modified carb.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 10/15/07 at 04:28:25

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=cafe;action=display;num=1183598846

If you want to try the DIY filter and cannot find the NeFoam I can send you a piece.

Rob or Sluggo -- might want to move that thread to Tech, or maybe do a re-write into Tech.  Messages in the Cafe have vaporized in the past.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 10/15/07 at 07:52:23

I know that I once tried to clean the filter and failed.  I had my K&N, but the stock one was dirty so I tried some dry cleaning solvent at a plant where I was working.  Bad idea.  I guess that it dissolved whatever adhesives are used to make it Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 10/15/07 at 09:58:01

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=cafe;action=display;num=1183598846

If you want to try the DIY filter and cannot find the NeFoam I can send you a piece.

Rob or Sluggo -- might want to move that thread to Tech, or maybe do a re-write into Tech.  Messages in the Cafe have vaporized in the past.

Threads in the Cafe are meant to vaporize.  The Posting Guidelines for that forum state that posts over three months old are subject to deletion unless there is some reason to keep them and a moderator must be advised of any such reason.  Since cleaning out topics is such an arduous process, that forum typically has somewhere between six and twelve months of stuff in it.  I've locked that thread until someone has the time to rewrite it into the Tech Ref forum.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #6 - 10/15/07 at 10:14:52

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:

Thanks Paladin, I think Wal-mart sells nu-foam, I remember seeing something like that.
I have to reread the post you mentioned, I have a hard time reading stuff that isn't direct and to the point.
It's funny to read, but hard to follow.
Guess I won't mess with the trapdoor or snorkel.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #7 - 10/15/07 at 13:09:31

(Not hijacking just teasing) IW GrinHa I finally get to get you back.
"bing the neat freak" shouldn't that be "being"?
Just had to get you after good greif/good grief. Grin

Maybe her keyboard is just warn out Grin

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #8 - 10/15/07 at 13:49:29

IW,you have been doing that quite often lately.Mispelling. You ok ,or just typing to fast like the rest of us?

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 10/15/07 at 15:53:07

She is doing that to allow us mere mortals to feel less uncomfortable around her. She came on the scene just months ago & has been into jobs I am worried about. Now, the kicker? I've been doing mechanic work for most of my life & have changed the frames on 2 Ford pickups, but the forks of the bike worry me. Yea, IW, if ya goofed the air filter, it's okay, Youve done so much so well, a cheap OOOPS like that is no biggeee! I have showed my wife all the stuff IW has done, she is impressed ( & I Hope inspired) by it all. I try to point out all the stuff the ladies do,because I want her to feel like she can do things too. I dont think it's working, maybe she cpould, but she doesnt seem to want to. OHH well, at least she is making noises about riding.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #10 - 10/15/07 at 16:58:16

Demin wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
(Not hijacking just teasing) IW GrinHa I finally get to get you back.
"bing the neat freak" shouldn't that be "being"?
Just had to get you after good greif/good grief. Grin

Maybe her keyboard is just warn out Grin

You are right!!
I made a spelling mistake!!  Shocked
I think I'm just plum worn out at the moment. I notice my fingers are not doing what I tell them too.
Wouldn't it be wonderful to have an all expenses paid vacation??  Grin

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #11 - 10/15/07 at 16:59:23

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
IW,you have been doing that quite often lately.Mispelling. You ok ,or just typing to fast like the rest of us?

just tired! Thanks for noticing!  Smiley

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #12 - 10/15/07 at 17:04:20

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
She is doing that to allow us mere mortals to feel less uncomfortable around her.    

I have showed my wife all the stuff IW has done, she is impressed ( & I Hope inspired) by it all.

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am mortal!!  Tongue LOL
What did I do or say to make you think I'm not? LOL

I hope your wife will find the courage/wish to ride one day as well.
But then again.... Both of my kids are showing an interest in riding a bike.
My heart is already freaking out about the prospect!! It's so dangerous out there!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 10/15/07 at 20:37:15

Yea, I was all excited about my daughter riding. Got her hooked up with the Motorcycle Safety Course, then she got her license. I put her on the insurance, THEN, she had the NERVE to want to go ride. I got scared. Almost sick at my stomach scared. Worse than the first time she took the car, Scared. She has dropped it 4 times I guess. All in the gravel drive or sloped section of the back yard. Yea, IW, when we take risks, we know what we are doing, but when the kids do it, that's scary.  Wink

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 10/16/07 at 08:40:55

I got nervous after I actually talked my spouse into her bike.  She dropped it in the yard and on the side of the road.  Harmless places.  I watched her lock up the rear wheel and skid kinda wildly once, and sometimes I wondered if I should have pressured her.  That first year was a mix of pride and worry...

...then we finally got into the MSF course, together, and she did great.  We sorta competed in the class and she scored the same as I.  Now, I do believe she is as good if not better than I am.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:21:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oops! Might have done something stupid!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.