Send Topic Print
dead on the road (Read 18 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: dead on the road
Reply #15 - 10/15/07 at 04:23:46

The fuse are on the right I looked in clymers and I got it wrongand I looked at bike and you dont have to take off seat. can you tell me of another bike thats takes longer to get to the battery than this bike .

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #16 - 10/15/07 at 05:08:12

Bill67,

Try removing the battery sometime on a full fairing MC with the seat and a tool box above the battery. You can't even check level without pulling the battery out.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 10/15/07 at 05:30:59

victory  motorcycle pull side cover one second the battery is there.  I had suzuki 650 gr  turn key under seat  2 seconds the seat is off and battery is there  had 95 goldwing easyer than s40. My vl1500  2 screws about a minute battery is there. Other than these two bikes all where easyer  than the s40 to work on. I really like the bike but I find it much harder to do things on than other bikes. this is my 16th bike.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 10/15/07 at 08:05:48

The stock seat bolts are virtually impossible to remove with an open wrench if you have saddle bags installed.  I replaced the seat mount bolts with allen head so that I could use a T handle.  Much easier.

The GZ 250 has a hinged seat that uses the key.  Nice, but then the Intruder is classic Suzuki with even has more bolts than the Savage40...

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 10/15/07 at 08:16:18

I never had to remove my intruder seat in 8 years

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 10/15/07 at 08:21:59

bill67 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I never had to remove my intruder seat in 8 years

Must not have ever messed with the carbs, then Tongue

It wasn't mine, but I had to remove it because he blew a fuel line from the pump.  I posted a photo of the bike.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #21 - 10/15/07 at 08:31:23

You got it baby Grin

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 10/15/07 at 17:51:14

Baby is home again, it was indeed nothing worse than a "sudden death" battery failure.

I now own a 10mm nutsetter (socket on a screwdriver handle) which rides in my saddle bag forever.

IP Logged
Gulfstream

Johnny Come Lately

Pooler, Georgia
Reply #23 - 10/15/07 at 20:55:36

I installed 2 #2 phillips head screws in their place, much easier than a wrench as stated so no extra tools are needed. I got a kick out of the post title...the wife and I went on a 100 mile jaunt yesterday through the countryside. We're cruising along and the wife slows down and rides onto the shoulder. I pull up next to her and ask whats wrong? She says she's just riding along and the motor sputters a couple of times then quits. I look at my odometer and ask if she tried turning on the reserve...nope she had never run into the reserve before, now she knows.

96-Harley Dyna Muffler, Spacer Mod, 155 Main Jet, New Mopar Yellow Paint.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 10/15/07 at 21:51:44

Oldfeller2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Baby is home again, it was indeed nothing worse than a "sudden death" battery failure.

I now own a 10mm nutsetter (socket on a screwdriver handle) which rides in my saddle bag forever.

Oldfeller2 to "Oldfeller3"...Just how does a battery die and blow a fuse?  Call it "sudden death" if you want, but how does that work?  You have a voltage regulator and a battery never puts out more when it gets weak...how?

I'm thinking that you still have the problem, plus a new battery,,,

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #25 - 10/16/07 at 03:28:06

I ASSumed it was a blown fuse and it was not -- no fuse was blown.   Fought the seat bolt war for nothing.

Recheck with the key (after dusk) showed a faint glow on the neutral light and a red wire on the headlight -- neither of which were noticeable in the daylight.  This caused me to pull the battery, to charge it if nothing else.  Volt meter showed proper volts, but no storeage of juice after charging.

Bad battery, cause unknown.  New battery -- bike makes it home.  Now we run a week to see if charging system is working OK.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 10/16/07 at 08:10:02

I ASSumed it was a blown fuse and it was not -- no fuse was blown.   Fought the seat bolt war for nothing.

Recheck with the key (after dusk) showed a faint glow on the neutral light and a red wire on the headlight -- neither of which were noticeable in the daylight.  This caused me to pull the battery, to charge it if nothing else.  Volt meter showed proper volts, but no storeage of juice after charging.

Bad battery, cause unknown.  New battery -- bike makes it home.  Now we run a week to see if charging system is working OK.

I assUmed that you made a mistake Tongue

My spouse had a similar thing happen with a battery.  Stopped under a bank drive thru in a downpour and when the rain stopped, I had to ride home to get our truck.  The buss failed in the battery.  It would read about 12V, but couldn't light the lamps...

I assuMEd that you replaced the fuse too.

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #27 - 10/17/07 at 02:48:16

Actually, no.   These new style fuses are readily visible if they blow, they break the connection pretty good and blow black crap all over the inside of the plastic holder if they are blown.

I eyeballed each of them by flashlight and put them back in place as they were OK.   I will buy some replacements and stock them in my growing "road parts saddle bag kit".

So far Baby is passing the ongoing short trip charging test with flying colors.   I think the stock Suzuki charging system overvolts the battery pretty good and has enough amps available on a stock set up to "overcharge" the battery even with short trips on top of short trips.  

Overcharging.  Have you noticed that you need to add a lot of distilled water to your battery every fall when you pull it out to store it?  I sure have -- amazing that the batteries last for several years with that sort of constant overcharging going on all the time.

But in the end, I'd rather have overcharging and eventual battery death just once every 3-4 years than a constant fight with short trip undercharging.

You do know that eventually we are going to be able to buy a lithium ion battery pack that will fit our scooters?  And some of you guys are going to shell out $100 plus to buy one?

<grin>

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 10/17/07 at 07:05:19

You do know that eventually we are going to be able to buy a lithium ion battery pack that will fit our scooters?  And some of you guys are going to shell out $100 plus to buy one?

<grin>

Oldfeller

Well, who wouldn't?  With the Energizer Bunny in there, it really will be a Thumper Grin

Where's Paladin?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 19:19:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › dead on the road

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.