Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: What a stud!
Reply #30 - 10/13/07 at 12:16:19

vtail wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
That's the thing, it did not turn and was still in the same spot. I torqued it again and the nut turned 60 degrees. So I'm getting suspisious Smiley

I'm thinking that yours is an exception (to a rule that I can't explain).  1/6 of a turn on a bolt isn't that much.  The head is aluminum, so maybe the nut is seating into it.

You said that you did your own initial service, right? (meaning it has been done).  The head studs are not simple mild steel.  They should not stretch and the threads should be harder than the nut.  Maybe you can remove the nut and check the threads on the stud or nut next time it is loose.  

The nut usually leaks a little anyway, which is why I told you about my experimental fix.  I think it's in the design of the gasket.  No leaks on mine, yet.  We'll see how it goes.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #31 - 10/13/07 at 12:42:20

I think that most folks don't check torgue when and even if they detect a very slight leak. I guess I'm just a stickler. On my car I noticed a slight squeel at 43000 miles. The shop told me it was the cambelt tensioner and to come in next week for a replacement (warranty). I told them that a tensioner cycles at a much higher frequency. This frequency was at cam  rotation speed at idle. Oh no they knew better. So after coming home I took the belt quard off the engine and since this is direct ignition I parked my Honda 650 Int (running) next to the car  and put the induction timing light on to the sparkwire of the bike and aimed the timing light onto the insight of the car's cambelt. This allows you to see the belt like it's standing still. Lo and behold, there were 6 teeth in a row missing. New improved timing belt replaced under warranty. If that belt would have failed all the valves woul have hit the pistons. The manufacturer was aware of cambelt failure before 60000 miles and the shop told me that they replaced several motors. Anyway the car now has 152000 miles on it and the improved belts get replaced every 60000 miles. Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #32 - 10/13/07 at 13:00:47

Yep...I had another thought, and that would be to try a copper washer under those nuts.  Just like the larger studs.  Maybe the copper would torque and seal better.  Just a thought...

As for the belt...don't tell Stinger that the dealerships don't know crap.  He's gonna ride his cam chain all the way to 50K first...Tongue

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #33 - 10/13/07 at 13:07:14

Yes, I'll try that copper washer and maybe a little high-temp sealer Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #34 - 10/13/07 at 14:58:48

My question was, is the stud bottomed in the threads? If it is only pulling on the upper few threads, that aint so okay. BUT, after I saw your troubleshooting & all on the timing belt omn the car I Realize I am no one to ask you if you are on the ball. You are well on the ball, Nice move on that timing belt,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #35 - 10/13/07 at 15:38:46

The stud looks to be properly seated and after the nut is on 3 treads are showing. Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #36 - 10/13/07 at 16:08:38

Well, you COULD try ignoring it & pretending it is all good. Maybe you can get 50,000 outta yer cam chain too!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #37 - 10/13/07 at 16:12:59

Oohh Don't start that now again Grin Hell I'll try a 100k and go in the Guinness book of records Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #38 - 10/13/07 at 23:10:15

vtail wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Oohh Don't start that now again Grin Hell I'll try a 100k and go in the Guinness book of records Wink

I liked your sealer idea too.  Clean it all off, squish sealer up in there.  Smear some on the threads.  Tighten the nut.  Wipe off the mess.

You might seal the leak and fix the loose bolt all at once.  What's it gonna hurt?  Somebody's gonna fix this one eventually, just like the cam chain tensioner issue too...Tongue

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #39 - 10/14/07 at 17:22:03

All,
 Sent JK my old studs.  

That's the second item off the old head (dead head.....cam journal ... killed by the P.O.)   The first was the cam to Lancer.

TMack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
jk
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 10/15/07 at 08:07:04

Many thanks to T-Mack for the studs.

And BikeBandit cancelled the order with no charges. So I should be good to go once the new cam chain gets here.

IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #41 - 10/15/07 at 18:38:44

I have the same experience as Vtail - the front stud keeps on loosening.  One possibility is it is torqued beyond the elastic yield limit, like rod cap bearing bolts, to maintain even pressure.  These type of bolts are not reusable.  Tightening them just stretches them more without increase in clamping force.   Sounds a bit exotic but the safe bet is leave it alone.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #42 - 10/15/07 at 22:20:29

I'm thinking that everyone's just sorta going over the top on these studs.  No one's ever had any more problem than leaking and looseness.  No compression loss or anything.  

The studs are silly and under engineered somehow...and no, I don't think it's an issue of "stretching bolts".  It's a matter of steel parts with an oil leak and an aluminum head that expands and contracts.

This topic started with a broken stud...and I think that the answer to this other stuff is simpler than we think...let's see how Vtail does with copper washers, and...

...besides, my nuts are tight and they don't leak Tongue

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #43 - 11/05/07 at 14:53:33

Update: After the last retorque mid October it has for some unknown reason (Gremlins?) stayed torqued, without copper washer or high temp sealer, for 600 miles now. Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #44 - 11/06/07 at 05:03:07

vtail wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Update: After the last retorque mid October it has for some unknown reason (Gremlins?) stayed torqued, without copper washer or high temp sealer, for 600 miles now. Smiley

Is it leaking?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:16:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What a stud!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.