Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
What a stud! (Read 27 times)
jkhulon73
Ex Member

What a stud!
10/12/07 at 06:39:03

Okay, I had put it in another thread about my little problem with a couple of studs on the head. Not the four main studs, but the smaller studs- the one in the front and the one in the back.

My question is how essential are those to maintaining proper torque on the head?

I ask because apparently nobody in the United States has these in stock and I might not even be able to get 'em from Suzuki. If they aren't absolutely necessary for torque, I would just plug the holes left behind in the head and move on...

Otherwise, I might be boned.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: What a stud!
Reply #1 - 10/12/07 at 07:24:44

bet there's spares some place perhaps used - do you know the part numbers?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 10/12/07 at 07:42:17

Hmmm...let's assume they serve a purpose.

Looking forward, could you just replace the studs with some other ones?  Drill, tap (or helicoil) and use different nuts?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 10/12/07 at 07:44:05

Oh yeah, doesn't the front stud actually go through to the exhaust port?  You have a hole in there, I believe.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 10/12/07 at 07:48:54

Do you mean items 13 & 14 in this picture?
Suzuki 1987 LS650PH SAVAGE-P  Cylinder Head

If so.. it looks like Bike Bandit may have them in stock.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/12/07 at 07:50:31

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Oh yeah, doesn't the front stud actually go through to the exhaust port?  You have a hole in there, I believe.

That's why I was asking if they're necessary for maintaining torque on the head- if not, I was going to use what was left of the studs to plug those holes in the intake and exhaust. I've checked about eight different sites and they'd all have to order them from Japan. I could probably easily replace the one stud down at the local equip supply, but the other is pretty specific to this application.

I dunno, maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. I ordered them from bikebandit, but they're back-ordered indefinitely...

IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/12/07 at 07:51:09

youzguyz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Do you mean items 13 & 14 in this picture?
Suzuki 1987 LS650PH SAVAGE-P  Cylinder Head

If so.. it looks like Bike Bandit may have them in stock.

Yep, those are the ones. They're back-ordered.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 10/12/07 at 07:54:24

jkhulon73 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Yep, those are the ones. They're back-ordered.

That stinks..   I wish they would say so before you go through all the hassle of placing the order.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/12/07 at 07:58:04

That stinks..   I wish they would say so before you go through all the hassle of placing the order.

Yeah, because even though they're back-ordered & if I do find someone that has 'em, I'd still have to pay a 20% re-stocking fee (if I understood their policy right) It's only $2.33, but that's about 45 miles worth of gas on the Savage...

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #9 - 10/12/07 at 08:06:45

Can you get a replacement machined at a local shop? Or can you find a wrecked Savage that is being parted out?

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #10 - 10/12/07 at 08:16:46

That can't be (or shouldn't be) right.  IF they had said up front that it was not in stock, then ok.  But they didn't.

I would drop them an email and get the straight word on that kind of thing:
mailto:Cancel@bikebandit.com

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/12/07 at 08:17:13

Anybody got a wrecked savage with a couple of extra studs lying around?

I'd thought about the machine shop route, but I'd have to research it more.

I just read through the Clymer's and it would seem, if I read it right, that the four main studs get torqued to spec once the head is put into place and then a step or two later, these two get tightened. It would seem to me that if they were integral to sealing the head to the jug, they'd be torqued at the same time..?

IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/12/07 at 08:21:21

That can't be (or shouldn't be) right.  IF they had said up front that it was not in stock, then ok.  But they didn't.

I would drop them an email and get the straight word on that kind of thing:
mailto:Cancel@bikebandit.com

Well, if they don't ship in... 18 days, I guess they won't bill me. I can't really do anything until the new and improved cam chain comes in anyway. So I've got a little time to figure out exactly what I need to do. I just want to have everything ready to go when the chain gets here...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 10/12/07 at 08:50:47

jkhulon73 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Anybody got a wrecked savage with a couple of extra studs lying around?

I'd thought about the machine shop route, but I'd have to research it more.

I just read through the Clymer's and it would seem, if I read it right, that the four main studs get torqued to spec once the head is put into place and then a step or two later, these two get tightened. It would seem to me that if they were integral to sealing the head to the jug, they'd be torqued at the same time..?

Yeah, but all of the studs get torqued before the engine runs and gets hot.  The "steps" in the process aren't as important as the end result.  Anyway, in the SSM the smaller studs are mention at the same time as the larger ones.

Funny too, Vtail dropped by yesterday and we discussed these studs and how his are always becoming loose and have the usual little drop of oil.  They almost seem pretty ineffective, but I just feel that you need them.  Sure would hate to blow a $27 head gasket over a couple studs.  How about a cheap used head off of eBay?

I hate to mention that I trashed a bad head a couple months ago...I'll remove studs, etc. next time.  Got a bike salvage place around there?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 10/12/07 at 09:01:38

looking around - thought I might have some spares - almost every other enigne bit you can name but not the head bolts - may have been in the above mentioned trashed head

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:24:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What a stud!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.