Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Gasket beween muffler and engine? (Read 131 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Gasket beween muffler and engine?
Reply #30 - 07/05/08 at 21:23:34

Savage_Greg wrote on 10/13/07 at 12:34:49:
I hate to say it, but you are gonna have that drip from that upside down nut until you replace the head gasket.  Seems like they all do it.  Look at all the topics about it.  Even one topic about a broken stud which probably happened cause the nut was torqued too much along the way while trying to stop the leak.

After I get some time on my new head gasket, I'll know if I had any success in fixing the leak this time.

It was a while ago, but I managed to stop that leak without removing the head.  I'm pretty sure all I did was remove the nut, apply some Permatex Ultra Copper to the threads of the stud and to the surface the base of the nut contacts, and reinstall the nut using the proper torque.

Mine's now been dry for thousands of miles (KOW).

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Re: Gasket beween muffler and engine?
Reply #31 - 07/06/08 at 11:58:06

SavageWahine wrote on 10/11/07 at 14:00:47:
Is it possible to make one's own gasket?
I still have a whole bunch of the red heat resistant silicone stuff. If I trace the shape on paper, put a piece of waxpaper over that, and squirt the silicone into the exact shape and let it dry, will it work as a gasket?

Peramatex's best silicone sealer only withstands 600 degrees continuous duty heat exposure.  They do sell 2 products for 2000 degree exhaust work:

http://www.caswellplating.com/permatex/permrepairprods.html

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:31:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gasket beween muffler and engine?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.