Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Gasket beween muffler and engine? (Read 131 times)
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Re: Gasket beween muffler and engine?
Reply #15 - 10/12/07 at 16:27:20

hard to tell really as when I tighten them I can't see what is turning They are acorn nuts If I remove completey I believe the stud come out . I like the ideas if drilling and wiring them .
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 10/12/07 at 16:44:43

If the stud is coming  out I dont think wiring is going to help

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #17 - 10/12/07 at 22:19:57

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
BUT is the top closer than the bottom?  Was it backfiring before you took it all apart?

My exhaust gasket is the original and 7 years old.  I've had my pipe on and off at least a dozen times and even ported the exhaust without having any leaks.

Whatever you do, don't tighten or adjust the bolts with the engine hot, and use some antisieze on them if you remove them.

My muffler has been backfiring since I purchased it. This hasn't changed even with the spacer mod and bigger pilot and jet. It still backfires when I shut the engine down.
That's why I started thinking it might be the muffler.
Also I looked underneath where the muffler and the pipe meet. It is extremely rusty there, so chances are that I might have some rust holes there. It's too hard to tell.
Got to think of a way to see if the are any holes. Wonder if putting a solution of dish soap all over the pipe will reveal anything.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 10/13/07 at 05:10:05

SteveRocket1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
hard to tell really as when I tighten them I can't see what is turning They are acorn nuts If I remove completey I believe the stud come out . I like the ideas if drilling and wiring them .
Steve

These are not going to stay really tight.  They are holding a compression gasket and each time you tighten them the gasket gets compressed more.  The only objective is to keep it from leaking.  That is why some bikes use springs to hold them on.  Only use anti-seize on the "nut/stud/bolt".

Go ahead and remove one of them, if it is loose, just to see.  Won't hurt a thing.  I believe that you will find that they are bolts with chrome acorn heads.

BTW - the answer to "what kind" of fasteners they are is just a couple topics away...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 10/13/07 at 05:20:35

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
My muffler has been backfiring since I purchased it. This hasn't changed even with the spacer mod and bigger pilot and jet. It still backfires when I shut the engine down.
That's why I started thinking it might be the muffler.
Also I looked underneath where the muffler and the pipe meet. It is extremely rusty there, so chances are that I might have some rust holes there. It's too hard to tell.
Got to think of a way to see if the are any holes. Wonder if putting a solution of dish soap all over the pipe will reveal anything.

You're gonna have a little rust under there unless you are really thorough in your cleaning and waxing.  It's one of those "out of sight, out of mind" things that usually get overlooked.  Check it with the bike running.  See if you feel any leaking.  Do you have any soot on the engine in that area?

Don't let those large round holes in the muffler heat shield fool you either, but you could have a loose clamp.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 10/13/07 at 10:07:14

O course , it is Hawaii.  I've seen quite a few roadside sacrifices to the rust god there and very little ferrous metal escapes his notice.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 10/13/07 at 10:14:47

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
O course , it is Hawaii.  I've seen quite a few roadside sacrifices to the rust god there and very little ferrous metal escapes his notice.

Aloha, O god o' rust...

I forgot about the climate...maybe volcanic ash is the problem Tongue

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #22 - 10/13/07 at 10:35:20

Check it with the bike running.  See if you feel any leaking.

How does one "feel" any leaking?
The muffler gets pretty hot you know.  Tongue

Quote:
Do you have any soot on the engine in that area?

I have lots of soot where the muffler and the pipe meet. Underneath in the "hidden from view" place.

And I still have that tiny oil drip coming from that upside down bolt underneath where the pipe meets the engine.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 10/13/07 at 12:34:49

How does one "feel" any leaking?
The muffler gets pretty hot you know.  Tongue

I have lots of soot where the muffler and the pipe meet. Underneath in the "hidden from view" place.

And I still have that tiny oil drip coming from that upside down bolt underneath where the pipe meets the engine.

That's funny too...I said, "see if you feel..."

Anyway...just put your hand down there when it is still cool and blip the throttle a few times to FEEL a leak.  Don't touch it anymore, after it gets hot.  All I can say Tongue

It is possible your muffler gasket is damaged if you have soot.

If you question either gasket, they are cheap.  Change 'em, torque 'em and forget 'em.

I hate to say it, but you are gonna have that drip from that upside down nut until you replace the head gasket.  Seems like they all do it.  Look at all the topics about it.  Even one topic about a broken stud which probably happened cause the nut was torqued too much along the way while trying to stop the leak.

After I get some time on my new head gasket, I'll know if I had any success in fixing the leak this time.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #24 - 10/13/07 at 21:08:46

Thanks Greg!
I rode her to town today and back and she ran great!!
At one point I happened to look at the speedo and I was going 60! Oops! Speed limit is 50.
So now she really goes faster easier, feels great!
STill a big bang at the end. I'll go "feel" the leak tomorrow.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 10/13/07 at 22:50:31

Thanks Greg!
I rode her to town today and back and she ran great!!
At one point I happened to look at the speedo and I was going 60! Oops! Speed limit is 50.
So now she really goes faster easier, feels great!
STill a big bang at the end. I'll go "feel" the leak tomorrow.

Well, just think of the Big Bang as the beginning of something good Tongue

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #26 - 10/14/07 at 01:11:18

Where are you guys ordering the header/engine gasket for $4?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #27 - 10/14/07 at 21:29:35

I just got 3 from my local dealer for $12.75.  The retaining clamp was lots more, mine was warped from being tightened with the RAASK pipe on.  I was afraid it would break so I ordered a spare in case it did, -the riding days are getting numbered and I would hate to miss one waiting a week for that part- so far it has straightened nicely and seems to stay tight now, was needing to be re-tightened every couple days as it went back to flat. I could tell when it was allowing air in because of the decel backfire, specially when first starting from cold. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 10/15/07 at 08:00:21

toddlamp8 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Where are you guys ordering the header/engine gasket for $4?

If you like online ordering, Ron Ayers and Bike Bandit sell the OEM gaskets.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #29 - 10/15/07 at 10:01:32

If you like online ordering, Ron Ayers and Bike Bandit sell the OEM gaskets.

Also CrotchRocket.com, who seems to have the best price a lot of the time.  Also be aware that BikeBandit.com offers a small discount to AMA members so, if you're a member, take that into account when comparing prices.  When it comes to OEM stuff I still find myself usually ordering from CrotchRocket.com or RonAyers.com.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:21:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gasket beween muffler and engine?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.