Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Gasket beween muffler and engine? (Read 131 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Gasket beween muffler and engine?
10/11/07 at 12:01:34

I'm trying to find a different reason for the backfiring. Theoretically what will happen if the gasket between the muffler and the engine is damaged? I noticed that there are 2 different bolts on the muffler clamp, and it also looks like it is has not been mounted all that straight. The top part of the clamp looks closer to the engine then the bottom.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Gasket beween muffler and engine?
Reply #1 - 10/11/07 at 12:22:27

Any air leak will make the exhaust backfire, especially on deceleration. I've tightened the two at the head and exhaust header 4 or 5 times since I put the new exhaust on mine a couple weeks ago. Easy does it on those as they thread into the aluminum head. The seal at the exhaust pipe to muffler would do the same thing, you would barely hear the leak at idle or runnning, but on deceleration it allows oxygen filled air to come in and makes the backfire. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #2 - 10/11/07 at 12:32:46

Thanks Max!!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 10/11/07 at 12:49:26

Yeah!  What he said!  Seriously, I tuned and retuned my carb and got really frustrated until I replaced the cylinder head/header gasket I'd originally thought was fine and reused.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #4 - 10/11/07 at 14:00:47

Is it possible to make one's own gasket?
I still have a whole bunch of the red heat resistant silicone stuff. If I trace the shape on paper, put a piece of waxpaper over that, and squirt the silicone into the exact shape and let it dry, will it work as a gasket?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 10/11/07 at 14:34:42

should work well for about 4.3 minutes

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #6 - 10/11/07 at 16:14:37

Remember that part of the engine is so hot that most things will melt or catch fire very quickly. A metal gasket should be used there and they are only about 4 Dollars.
Not worth the effort to try and save money there although I think I read here somewhere that someone used parts of an ally can and some muffler paste when he could not stop it leaking
I hope that helps a little

Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #7 - 10/11/07 at 17:56:34

Actually I wasn't trying to save money on the gasket, but on the shipping. I couldn't get the part here, and most online places charge a fortune for shipping to Hawaii. I'll check bikebandit, there minimum shipping is only 6 bucks.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #8 - 10/11/07 at 18:49:28

My $02 worth. Consider ordering a couple so you have an extra when you need to take the exhaust off to do the cam chain. I don't think you need a spare one between the muffler exhaust ppipe as it can be removed as an assembly rather than splitting it into 2 pieces. Also the o-rings for the oil filter cover and the one inside to seal the filter to the crankcase. They are nice to have around, then you have them when you need to change the oil unscheduled. I usually get 5 or 6 at a time and then write myself a note to reorder when I get down to 2 left. Might look at the price of oil filters from your source and toss in a years supply of those. Now the freight on the gaskets doesn't look so bad. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #9 - 10/11/07 at 18:54:35

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Actually I wasn't trying to save money on the gasket, but on the shipping. I couldn't get the part here, and most online places charge a fortune for shipping to Hawaii. I'll check bikebandit, there minimum shipping is only 6 bucks.

I thought that might be the case  but I just wondered if you knew how inexpensive they were. No offence meant

Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #10 - 10/11/07 at 22:52:22

I've been wondering on the exhaust gasket thing myself. Wondering that is about if an auto exhaust-to-header "O" ring gasket would work in there? The correct size of course. Or maybe one of those metal compression type gaskets? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jack

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 10/12/07 at 07:49:42

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I'm trying to find a different reason for the backfiring. Theoretically what will happen if the gasket between the muffler and the engine is damaged? I noticed that there are 2 different bolts on the muffler clamp, and it also looks like it is has not been mounted all that straight. The top part of the clamp looks closer to the engine then the bottom.

BUT is the top closer than the bottom?  Was it backfiring before you took it all apart?

My exhaust gasket is the original and 7 years old.  I've had my pipe on and off at least a dozen times and even ported the exhaust without having any leaks.

Whatever you do, don't tighten or adjust the bolts with the engine hot, and use some antisieze on them if you remove them.

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #12 - 10/12/07 at 09:34:25

Something that I have been wondering is, Is there a better Stud/Bolt to hold the header. Mine comes loose weekly with the stock studs. Every post I have seen says No Loctite, use anti sieze, so that what I have done. I am thinking of ordering new oem studs  but if there is a better alternative I will get them. Also just for info they have been correctly torqued amd I have tried with spring washers and without. Suggestions from our learned brethern?. That includes our lady riders too.
Steve

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #13 - 10/12/07 at 15:40:20

If they keep coming loose,maybe drill the studs for cotter pins or drill nuts safetywire them.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #14 - 10/12/07 at 15:53:44

Demin wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
If they keep coming loose,maybe drill the studs for cotter pins or drill nuts safetywire them.
are the studs or the nuts coming loose?

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:23:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gasket beween muffler and engine?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.