Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: gonna hate me now!
Reply #60 - 10/25/07 at 06:46:33

Miles has never been a good way to judge things - but without an hour meter it's about all there is, other than the oil color - for instance my commute is 54 miles round trip - on a bad day this can mean a total of 3 hours running the bike in stop and go traffic on the good traffic days it's less than half of that time - toss in the summer heat pushing a 100f compared to now when it's 50 something in morning and 70 something in the afternoon,that's some pretty wide margins as to what the 54 miles means to engine wear and oil changes - so I change the oil when starts to look pretty dark (M1 V-Twin20/50 summer, M1 10/40 cycle oil winter) regardless of miles - the '95 has ~25k on it with the original chain and tensioner and have pretty much stopped running it until I can install a new harden chain and check-stop tensioner - not because it has broken I just don't want it to, flat runs too well to let it go into distruct mode.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #61 - 10/25/07 at 13:57:02

Okay...Stinger doesn't seem to hate me now Tongue

Just did my first real shake down ride on the bike since I got the top end back on it, again.  50 miles round trip to Stinger's house...backroads, mountains, and interstate

I like the chain conversion (45/17) because it actually makes better use of 5th gear now.  It actually feels like a different gear.  I can't tell exactly what my real speed is but I've been to an indicated 65 today.

Crossed my fingers too...I have NO oil leaks, but I do need to go over the bike and see if anything fell off Tongue

Oh yeah, with Lancer's Web Cam and the exhaust porting, it feels like my mixture is now a bit lean in mid-range.  Tiny bit of a flat spot when I roll on above idle...gonna have to play with the jet-needle some.

Stinger's gonna head to the coast this weekend, so let's all say a prayer for his cam chain Grin

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #62 - 10/26/07 at 02:00:52

Ha!  It looks like a stirred the pot with a hand granade!  Ive been gone for 2 weeks playing pool, not too successfully, but still had a good time. Not as good as time as if I had been on my bike tho! Been home 2 days and Im off again, this time, on my bike. Its not too far, maybe 150 miles, but tommorrow night when Im traveling, its supposed to be down to a low of maybe 25 degrees thru the mt range. Im more concerned about me breaking in pieces from the cold than my cam chain. Roads are clear tho, lucky me!
Well, I still dont know what to say, working on 33,000 miles now, and still not one problem. The drawback? I have nothing to do this winter as far as work goes on my bike, other than Greggg changing the cam chain. He said  that when I came over to have it replaced, all I did was sit in the lawn chair. Julie told  me that in that garage, only two things were of real importance to her. Her own bike and that lawn chair. So I did my job, and I did it well!
Ps, to the guy who said I was bull gregging about my rear brake pads after 32,000 miles, Greggg checked them and said they were still only half worn. I never use the front brake so I dont know why they needed replacing after 15,000 miles.
Good job on your bike greggg! One of the cleanest lookin savages in here!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #63 - 10/26/07 at 07:56:08

My rear brake has a lot of pad left too.  Of course, I use the front brake a lot more than the rear.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #64 - 10/26/07 at 08:10:29

stinger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I never use the front brake so I dont know why they needed replacing after 15,000 miles.
Good job on your bike greggg! One of the cleanest lookin savages in here!

Stinger, learn to use the front brake. Could save yo ss some day! The rear brake is ONLY there to keep the rear of the bike from overtaking the front under braking. That's why all bikes (and vehicles) have larger front (or dual) than rear brakes. Did you ever notice that???? Grin

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #65 - 10/26/07 at 09:18:32

Quote from MSF text"The front brakes are 70% or more stopping power"

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #66 - 10/26/07 at 09:45:51

Take into consideration that most people hit this forum because they are having PROBLEMS with something on the bike.  It would therefore stand to reason that when you look at the posts, it seems like cam chain / tensioner is an issue based on number of posts.

It is an issue, but possibly not as BIG an issue overall (every single LS650 ever made).  Fact is though, it is enough of an issue to enough people right now that a better cam chain was proposed, and tensioner checks are recommended more often than the manual says.

If you have any questions about that handy dandy owners manual maintenance check chart, look at it once, then toss it over your shoulder. My front brakes (stock) were totally gone 1K before I was even supposed to INSPECT them, let alone replace. The same has happened little by little on other items on my stock 2006 model.

With that in mind I purchased the revised cam chain (hey, I paid for that and have yet to see it - ship date anyone?)
and plan to get the tension thingy from verslagen next.

Do I need them right now? No, but based on the feedback from here, I will. It seems I ride a bit harder than Stinger, so I would like to be prepared thank you very much!

Ride safe Stinger.  Wink

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #67 - 10/26/07 at 10:19:23

vtail wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Stinger, learn to use the front brake. Could save yo ss some day! The rear brake is ONLY there to keep the rear of the bike from overtaking the front under braking. That's why all bikes (and vehicles) have larger front (or dual) than rear brakes. Did you ever notice that???? Grin

Stinker can't use his front brake because he prefers to spray it with WD40 when he cleans his bike.  He sprays his rear wheel too, but it doesn't get on the shoes as easily.

I'm really beginning to think that Stinker runs his speedo up with a drill motor, and really doesn't ride it.  That's why his chain has lasted so long.  He's just after bragging rights, anyway.

Besides, he couldn't ride when I went by yesterday because he was babysitting.  Go figure.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #68 - 10/28/07 at 06:39:41

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
... It seems I ride a bit harder than Stinger, so I would like to be prepared thank you very much!

Ride safe Stinger.  Wink

Hey Stinker, check it out.  Seems that your image has been updated Tongue

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #69 - 10/29/07 at 01:53:37

Ha! Much to your dissapointment I made it back from my tournament without carrying my engine back in a bag!
We have one more week of dry weather Greg, so take a day off from hounding me with obscene posts and lets go riding!
By the way Greg, I  have no image.  I hardly ever post . Just enjoy reading this website. Get some great advice in here. Well, I do like to stir up the forum a bit. I bet my cam chain  posting caused half the owners in here to check and replace theirs. might have saved some alot of money.  I bet that if they knew I soaked my belt in WD40- several times a year and yet, its still in great shape and not once squealed on me, would start another lets pick on stinger barrage. Or maybe that I squirt a spray into my gas tank every so often and it quiets my engine down to a whisper.
I only use 50 weight  AUTO motor oil also. Thats another good one. You ran a magnet over my oil when we drained it and after a hard 1,400 mile ride found no metal parts. I dont know, Im sure I can think of some more stuff to rile things up Ill try hard

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #70 - 10/29/07 at 07:03:53

Ha! Much to your dissapointment I made it back from my tournament without carrying my engine back in a bag!
We have one more week of dry weather Greg, so take a day off from hounding me with obscene posts and lets go riding!
By the way Greg, I  have no image.  I hardly ever post . Just enjoy reading this website. Get some great advice in here. Well, I do like to stir up the forum a bit. I bet my cam chain  posting caused half the owners in here to check and replace theirs. might have saved some alot of money.  I bet that if they knew I soaked my belt in WD40- several times a year and yet, its still in great shape and not once squealed on me, would start another lets pick on stinger barrage. Or maybe that I squirt a spray into my gas tank every so often and it quiets my engine down to a whisper.
I only use 50 weight  AUTO motor oil also. Thats another good one. You ran a magnet over my oil when we drained it and after a hard 1,400 mile ride found no metal parts. I dont know, Im sure I can think of some more stuff to rile things up Ill try hard

So, the only time that you post is when everyone else has gone to sleep? 2 AM PST to 5 AM EST?

Damm, you spelled my name right finally.  Thanks.  You must finally hate me now.

Oh, trust me, even without an actual photograph you definitely do have an image.  Not just in your own mind, but in everyone else's tooTongue

I thought that we were digging around in your oil with a magnet because you wanted to pour that used stuff in the oil pan back in your engine...oops, did I say that?

You forgot to mention that you offered to buy my rear belt because yours almost looks like Swiss cheese from all the rocks you've gotten in your belt drive.  My guess is that all the WD40 not only prevents squealing but also keeps that rubber nice and supple too Grin

Oh, back to the image thing, how do you save people money when their tensioner has fallen apart?  I think that you're just frustrated because you can't explain your good luck, nor disprove the obvious facts that everyone has shown you.  And you know that your time is coming 8)

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: gonna hate me now!my belt is worn
Reply #71 - 10/31/07 at 02:15:09

Actually my belt is worn more than yours cause my bike actually leaves the garage. Gravel roads dont stop me. Your the guy with all the answers, but mine is running and Im going riding today while you spend yet another sunny  day in the garage questioning why your bike dont run. have a good day.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: gonna hate me now!my belt is worn
Reply #72 - 10/31/07 at 09:14:12

Actually my belt is worn more than yours cause my bike actually leaves the garage. Gravel roads dont stop me. Your the guy with all the answers, but mine is running and Im going riding today while you spend yet another sunny  day in the garage questioning why your bike dont run. have a good day.

That's fine.  I'll just sell my belt on eBay since you don't need it.

Your rant is not entirely true there, Stinky.  You're not relaying all of my voice mail message, are ya?

I'm staying in the garage, on a week day, because I have work to do!  You might remember that I worked on your bike on a week day as well.  The concept is called "work week" and it wouldn't matter if my bike ran or not.

It's good that you don't have to babysit today, though.  Ride safe Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:22:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gonna hate me now!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.