Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: gonna hate me now!
Reply #45 - 10/13/07 at 05:45:25

vtail wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
This starts sounding like an episode; "Everybody loves Ramon" It's quite entertaining and by now we should move this to the cafe so I can sit down with a beer and watch this "lovers-squabble " After all we're all friends aren't we? Grin

You've got photos in the Marketplace...Tongue

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
IRe: gonna hate me now!
Reply #46 - 10/13/07 at 14:21:58

Thanks, found it Grin

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #47 - 10/13/07 at 23:17:51

Ya know...I just saw Stinger's name in the "User list".  He was online but he didn't post here...

He didn't call me, either....

Why is he hiding?  

Does he think we hate him?  

Or does he really want us to hate him, but he knows that we don't?  That could be frustrating, I suppose.

Hey Stinger, Julie's on her flight back east now.  I'm free for a week.  I can change your cam chain now Tongue

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #48 - 10/14/07 at 18:13:56

No,nothing against him,if he doesn't know any better but the 'zuki mechanic telling him all his bs.I've worked on alot of bikes,but I never knew about this problem 'til I found this site.But if I don't know I don't speak out of place.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #49 - 10/17/07 at 14:48:34

STINGER!

I left you a message.  I didn't mean it.  Come back.  Don't go away mad.  Where are you?  I was just joking.

Did your tensioner break? Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #50 - 10/23/07 at 21:12:25

I think that Stinger is PO'd with me...

He keeps putting me off and won't return a call.

What did I do???

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #51 - 10/24/07 at 10:36:50

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I think that Stinger is PO'd with me...

He keeps putting me off and won't return a call.

What did I do???

Did you forget to pick the bugs out of your teeth after your last ride ? ?   Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #52 - 10/24/07 at 11:52:10

Why pick them out?  It's protein Grin

But maybe that's it...

IP Logged
govmule84

Scooter Trash

Central Missouri
Reply #53 - 10/24/07 at 15:04:21

Boy, this got nasty quick.  I don't want to jump on the bandwagon, but as a mechanic, I sort of feel Greg's pain.  Everybody knows more about his bike than you, the mechanic.  But the mechanic's always the one working on it, not the smart customer.  I don't know we should dog this fella too bad...but...

I'm gonna call BS, though.  32k on HALF WORN brake pads?  I got my bike with 75ook on the odo.  I put new brakes on it, because they were trashed, and I'm now at 11,7ook. And brakes are coming up again soon.   I brake hard, and I am heavy, but still....are you ALWAYS on the highway? I'd also like to point out that 'running like a top' means different things to many people... I am imagining you have no idea what the slop measurement on your wheel bearings are, what your spark plug looks like right now, and I suspect you don't know how to clean out your carburetor....I've gone to purchase so many bikes and cars that are 'Pristine', 'practically new',  or, my favorite catch all..."run great", and then you get there and they have a miss, a fuel filter that is as old as the car, oh, and by the way, the four-wheel drive doesn't work.  

I dunno...I seen more than one of them there adjusters jacked waaaaaay out... I think it's a pretty real worry, is all.  And even if it ain't...I dunno.   There's lots of folks on here with stock/near stock, bagged bikes with windshields.  I would never want that...but if it's their cup of sunshine...hell, have at it.

Ride safe...and please, for the love of God, check your tensioner.  Just humor me.

Liam

Ninety percent of my money went to bikes, broads, and booze. The rest I wasted.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #54 - 10/24/07 at 22:49:32

Well, I can say this...I finally caught up with Stinger tonight.

We chatted for a while and he had all kinds of "been busy" excuses.  So I told him that I'm gonna ride over and see him tomorrow and beat him until he can spell my name right.

He said that he'd be waiting  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #55 - 10/24/07 at 22:54:15

govmule84 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Boy, this got nasty quick.  I don't want to jump on the bandwagon, but as a mechanic, I sort of feel Greg's pain.  Everybody knows more about his bike than you, the mechanic.  But the mechanic's always the one working on it, not the smart customer.  I don't know we should dog this fella too bad...but...

I'm gonna call BS, though.  32k on HALF WORN brake pads?  I got my bike with 75ook on the odo.  I put new brakes on it, because they were trashed, and I'm now at 11,7ook. And brakes are coming up again soon.   I brake hard, and I am heavy, but still....are you ALWAYS on the highway? I'd also like to point out that 'running like a top' means different things to many people... I am imagining you have no idea what the slop measurement on your wheel bearings are, what your spark plug looks like right now, and I suspect you don't know how to clean out your carburetor....I've gone to purchase so many bikes and cars that are 'Pristine', 'practically new',  or, my favorite catch all..."run great", and then you get there and they have a miss, a fuel filter that is as old as the car, oh, and by the way, the four-wheel drive doesn't work.  

I dunno...I seen more than one of them there adjusters jacked waaaaaay out... I think it's a pretty real worry, is all.  And even if it ain't...I dunno.   There's lots of folks on here with stock/near stock, bagged bikes with windshields.  I would never want that...but if it's their cup of sunshine...hell, have at it.

Ride safe...and please, for the love of God, check your tensioner.  Just humor me.

Liam

I've got Stinger's new chain waiting.  Hope that he's listening since he's going off for a few hundred more this weekend.

Maybe a good winter storm will roll in soon and slow him down Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #56 - 10/25/07 at 04:41:59

Everybody knows more about his bike than you, the mechanic.

I bought my '98 used, a little over three years ago, with 1640 miles on the odometer.  She looked like the reading was accurate too.  She was bone-stock with the exception of the addition of a windshield and she'd had her battery replaced at some point.  She was pristine except that the tires had some cracking on the sidewalls due to age.  They showed no obvious wear.  With the exception of the replacement of the tubes and tires, I am the only person to have done her maintenance/mods since I've owned her.  Though I am only a mechanically-inclined amateur, I think I know my Savage better than most of the shop mechanics I've seen.  Of course, it's always possible I could be mistaken.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #57 - 10/25/07 at 05:04:34

In that case, Rob....you'd BE the mechanic!  So, would you know more about the bike than yourself?  That's the question Wink

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #58 - 10/25/07 at 05:17:39

Liam

You can call it what you want to.  I'm riding on the original front pads with 13,245 on the clock.

At last check (11k) I had just over 4.5 mm of material left on each pad.  Since I tend to ride easy and ride mostly highway, I fully expect around 20k out of my bike before I have to replace the front pads....

Thing tend to last alot longer when you don't bet the snot out of it  (cam chains come to mind... My adjuster was only 11 mm out at 11k.  Some guys are on their second chain by then.  Why the difference?  I don't know, but I will venture a guess that my lower wear and tear is likely due to my riding style.  Slow acceleration, no abrupt gear changes, keep speeds below 60mph, use full synthetic oil.  Other than that, it's the same Savage everyone else has..)

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #59 - 10/25/07 at 06:32:42

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Thing tend to last alot longer when you don't bet the snot out of it  (cam chains come to mind... My adjuster was only 11 mm out at 11k.  Some guys are on their second chain by then.  Why the difference?  I don't know, but I will venture a guess that my lower wear and tear is likely due to my riding style.  Slow acceleration, no abrupt gear changes, keep speeds below 60mph, use full synthetic oil.  Other than that, it's the same Savage everyone else has..)

I'm always amazed at people who assume because my stuff doesn't wear out as fast theirs that I must be driving/riding like a grampa (my grampa ran shine and my Uncles and Dad raced stock cars fwiw) or lying. I live in the land of straight roads and no hills. Many a ride, I will go 100 miles or more without touching the brakes. When I accelerate it's a smooth (not necesarily slow) acceleration - same with braking. A lot of people seem to think that the throttle and brakes are like switches, they're either on or off, no modulation whatsoever. I think this and lack of maintenance is what wears out mechanical equipment more than anything else.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:19:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gonna hate me now!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.