Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: gonna hate me now!
Reply #15 - 10/11/07 at 08:12:09

Stinger,
 You ride a LS650.....we can't hate you......

I agree with some of the posts that say it's driver habits.  Also think type of roads, city vs open highway has a bit to do with it.  Less shifting.

Still wish the tensioner was a little better.  Maybe a mini spring loaded dampener instead of a rachet.  I was tempted to take the paw out, but was advised against it because it would be too springy.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 10/11/07 at 08:45:03

Stinger.  Come out, come out wherever you are Roll Eyes

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #17 - 10/11/07 at 09:00:48

Excellen point Stinger. It is nice You are asking different people questions, just folow the logic of the numbers:
 The more the plunger goes out, the lesser part of it is inside the body, the shorter part is guiding it straight, the more slap there is, the more wear there is. Other words, the more wear on the cam chain, the  faster the adjuster wears.
Of course, depending on the riding stiles, depending on the shifting patterns , on the oil changes, on the air filter and the quality of the air and so on, there could be difference in the cam chain life. May be You live in an area with very low amount of fine hard particles in the air. Combined with a lower temp's and lower speeds of riding with no "stop and go" trafic it could give the perfect conditions. May be this is the reason why the service "gurus" are telling You this. I don't want to argue , because I am not there.  
The reason I bought the first LS650 was because the chain adjuster poped out and the guy decided to sell it cheap/16K miles/. At that time I did not pay attention. It took me time to notice a pattern. This is why I did the adjuster mod, not because i enjoyed taking the clutch side apart.  There are more pleasant things in the life than scratching Your head with greasy fingers.
It will be wrong to tell that the cam chain life can never be 50K miles, but it will be even worse not to mention the risk. Everybody here is an adult and everybody can decide for himself is it better to spend 1 hr and couple of $$ to check the condition of the adjuster, and most probably to do the mod., OR he or she will preffer to believe in his or her's good luck. I am sure, You have done Yours too.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 10/11/07 at 09:04:02

at 19mm stinger's chain is ready to replace.
if he replaces it now, he saves all the other components.
at worst he'll need to also replace the tensioner guide.

What's he waiting for?  To replace the engine?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 10/11/07 at 10:38:00

Of course, there's a part of me that thinks that Stinger is just stirring the pot Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 10/11/07 at 11:20:50

Those OHH so good shop mechs have told him to wait. But, it's at 19 now & the SSM says replace the chain at 18mm, so, they are already wrong. By 50,000, they will be fatally wrong. Who will pay? The mechanic? Or the owner of the destroyed engine? Get that 50,000 recommendation in writing with a guarantee that IF they are wrong, they fix it for ya.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 10/11/07 at 12:06:25

I estimate my chain life at 50k, but by then it will be rubbing on itself.  If you don't have the slavy mod, there's no way you're going to get that far.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #22 - 10/11/07 at 12:19:12

Personally, I think those service managers are whistling in the dark  I could see the potential damage to an engine from a tensioner separation in the actual photographic evidence accumulated by Savage owners.  I was already planning to replace my clutch springs and figured it would be an opportune time to install the VerSlavy mod to hedge my bet against catastrophic separation.  I still feel good about that mod and will inspect it again in 6k-8k miles for my own peace of mind, just like I check tire pressures weekly and external torque values bi-monthly.  They rarely need adjustment but I am aware of their status.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #23 - 10/11/07 at 13:09:10

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Of course, there's a part of me that thinks that Stinger is just stirring the pot Tongue

(ears perk up)  somebody say pot.... count me in.  

i bought my chain to have a spare, as one day it will wear out, better to have one handy then paying the dealer.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #24 - 10/11/07 at 14:57:18

Let him believe the service manager,when the motor locks up at 60mph(or whatever)after he gets out of the hospital he can go ask him what happened.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 10/11/07 at 15:48:17

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
(ears perk up)  somebody say pot.... count me in.  

i bought my chain to have a spare, as one day it will wear out, better to have one handy then paying the dealer.

Maybe "stirring" was the wrong word Cheesy

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #26 - 10/11/07 at 18:24:35

glad he's not my mechanic!

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #27 - 10/11/07 at 20:41:14

i trust pot smokers more than drinkers.  

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #28 - 10/11/07 at 20:50:49

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
i trust pot smokers more than drinkers.  

But not with your fridge LOL .Everything would eaten faster that greased lightening
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #29 - 10/12/07 at 01:10:50

You are all forgetting one thing! In my own defense, I did buy a new cam chain and gasket and Greg set up a day to tear it apart and replace it. We were 3/4 done and it was HE  that said, Hey! this dosnt need changing, Lets just put it back together and we will do it next spring!
Second,  I dont think all dealers are rip offs. When I bought mine and it backfired, they took it in and did all the carberator adjustments for free.  I went in and looked at a new savage as I was concerned if mine was worn out at 30,000 miles. Told me my bike will last a long time and ride the one I have.
When I bought my bike, it was on sale for $3,900. I agreed on that price and the salesman came back and told me he could sell it to me for $3,700. Saved me $200. Or for the original sales price  of $3900 they would rejet and put on a  jardine muffler. He suggested that I take the lower offered price and and spend the extra savings on a supertrapp, which I did. Dosnt sound like they were trying to rip me off of anything.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:18:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gonna hate me now!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.