Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
It all started with this BIG seat... (Read 32 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
It all started with this BIG seat...
10/10/07 at 21:19:56

Well, I had the regular original old style seat; a Sportster seat; and a cut-down old style seat that whoever worked over the 99 chopper had done; then I bought the custom upholstered S40 seat which resembles one of the custom seats we see the European folk with... And with each step getting a bit more comfortable, and the last one being pretty tolerable for a couple of tanks of gas; but still not one that you could sit on all day. Although I did just do over 300 miles on the custom S40 seat within a 36 hour time frame.

A few weeks ago, I remembered when we cleaned out my ma/pa in-law's rat's nest, that I'd scarfed up an old tractor seat:

So just joking around, I tried it on the 87 to see what it felt like:

This arrangement felt REALLY seriously good. Like easy chair good! I'm on to something here maybe... maybe...

And then something dangerous happened: I started thinking... I wonder what one of those great big old police style motorcycle seats would look like sitting on the old Savage??? ... So, I gots me one... and it come in a pretty big ol' box; which I expected. And I wasn't even too shocked when I pulled it from the big old box and laid it on the kitchen table:

Yeah, it looks a little bit large, but with nothing to give it perspective, I still wasn't getting a grip on the sitcheation; so's I goes out to the garage and gets me a regular Sabage seet to compare it 2:

Well by golly, it aren't all that big after all now is it? ? ? ???

Hmmm... by gum, I think something is amiss here. It sure didn't look that big in the pictures!!! And having it that close to the tank and pointed down like the original seat means you are still slid right up onto the tank.

Obviously this seat needs to set up an back a ways to fit right:

Right about there oughta do it! Hmm... is it just me, or is something not quite right yet? Ya know it's always best to nail twice before welding once, or something like that I heard once...

Anybody know where a fella can get some really BIG seat springs? I mean so big that ya feel like you're riding the horsey out in front of K-Mart big.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Re: It all started with this BIG seat...
Reply #1 - 10/10/07 at 22:15:23

Would it be possible to use old springs from the rear shocks, and cut them to size?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #2 - 10/10/07 at 22:42:45

That's what I've been trying to find is a wider seat ,with a dip,for comfort.....I hope you get it fixed,that thing looks comfortable!! Smiley

Where do they sell those? Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #3 - 10/11/07 at 00:14:06

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
That's what I've been trying to find is a wider seat ,with a dip,for comfort.....I hope you get it fixed,that thing looks comfortable!! Smiley

Where do they sell those? Smiley

Ya gotta steal them... Off of police motorcycles! Grin

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 10/11/07 at 01:23:13

Yep, you boys are up to somethin here ... maybe as fer as 5-10 even ...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #5 - 10/11/07 at 09:54:27

At first I was going to say that you were first runner up in a toad licking contest, but I'm going to hold off judgement for a bit. Everybody said Dr Frankenstein was a wacko too.  Go ahead! Throw the last switch! Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 10/11/07 at 10:49:37

Rocking John's got one hell of a a Rocking Chair.

Too cool  8)

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 10/11/07 at 15:35:51

Rogue_Cheddar wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
At first I was going to say that you were first runner up in a toad licking contest, but I'm going to hold off judgement for a bit. Everybody said Dr Frankenstein was a wacko too.  Go ahead! Throw the last switch! Cheesy  

Hmm... "first runner up" is just a nice way of saying "loser" at the race track huh??  

I'll have you know I'm a first class #1 ace champeon toad licker if ever there was one... umm... I'm not sure that came out right, but anyways... I seldom lose, and have a pretty dern good record for falling into cow pies and ending up making money selling (BS)  err... manure.

But the seat is just a lark. But a lark that is growing on me. The dang thing feels like it was molded for my butt, so if'n I can't figger how to build a Savage under it, I may have to go shopping for a Cycle that I can back under it.

I really really need myself some proper cutting and welding gear, and a fit place to use it. The neighbor has a big shop leased:

The big one in the middle is his. The front 2/3 is production. The back 1/3 is all kinds of projects. Airplanes, Rock Climbing Jeeps etc... I might have to work down there some this winter to do the weird stuff I have in mind. I dunno for sure what all frame mods will be involved, but I envision that big police seat, and some WAY HUGE Beach type handlebars wrapped around a BIG fuel tank. I've got a GZ-250 tank, but I don't think it will be big enough to suit me. Only one gallon more than the Savage. By my reckoning, I'm gonna need at least a 5-6 gallon tank to get proportionate with that seat. If I can't make a big Hogger tank fit up good, I could always beg my neighbor into TIG welding me up a custom old-time 19th century looking tank out of aluminum!!

Other possible ideas include: 17" front wheel and skirted fender from a GZ-250 & a gangster skirted rear fender mounted directly on the swingarm. Then a big a$$ windshield.

Then all I'll need are some mismatched vintage decals to really confuse the general public.  Imagine yuppie "biker" standing and scratching head: AJS? Vellocette? Matchless? Ducati?? Manx? What the hell IS that, that... thing??

WE all know one thing tain't!! Grin

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #8 - 10/11/07 at 16:00:34

Crazy you say??? I like this kind of crazy:

The bottom bike is almost exactly what I have in mind, but with the seat a bit farther back.

Whhooo Hooo!!!

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #9 - 10/11/07 at 17:29:09

Ya gotta love people with imagination!!

( But hopefully not have to visit them in the pen  Grin

Someone told me one time if you were going to steal something ,it better be worth a million dollars,so at least if you got caught,the time would be worth it  Wink

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #10 - 10/11/07 at 17:31:10

But a comfortable seat is ....a comfortable seat,who cares what it looks like Grin

But I like that last picture the best.....with the person scratching his head!

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #11 - 10/11/07 at 22:34:40

I hope everyone knows that my "stealing from police" comment was a joke huh? OK? I haven't been that crazy/foolish in about 30 years. But there were old times when I've done things that bad, and worse... much, much worse!

Lucky enough to never spend more than a 3-day weekend in local crossbar hotel. And that time I was lucky enough to spend the night in jail with Eric Clapton. He borrowed a cheap acoustic from a guard and put on a great show for the 100+ guys in the Tulsa jail that evening. I had tickets to his concert the a couple of nights later, and he stunk the joint up.

In fact, I've had very good luck with LEOs in general. Raised with Southern manners, I've treated them with the respect they deserve for the crap they put up with, and 9 times out of 10 I get treated fairly. The bad 10% of the time, I seem to know when to shut up just before pushing them over the edge. Though I have flat out had false witness born against me by PO, but they'll have to reconcile that on the final tally, not me.

Even though I've always been a poor boy, stealing a million dollars wouldn't be "worth the time" to me; because I have many things that money can't buy nor replace. Time being one of my most precious commodities; I have no intent to give any of it away in some ill-advised venture.

And I agree completely with the "comfortable seat" analysis. I picked the 99 chopper for my around town, and short country ride bike that I like the looks of. Luckily, it works out that it is good for a few hundred miles with the custom upholstered S40 seat I got from strangeling. That seat itself would be about perfect if the "hump" was about 2" farther back. but the natural flow of the frame/seat pan prevent it I think.

After much consideration, I've decided to make the old 87 into my "road dog." It's main function will be long haul at maximum comfort. Possible chain conversion for easy cruising. Looks aren't to be totally ignored, but there is definitely a "function over form" attitude surrounding it. At least until the "functions" are all worked out. Probably going to get the standard Okie swede paint job of flat black over the stock paint, until the finances allow better.

I agree about the picture too. The bike is super cool, but the two guys put the icing on the cake. Itchy and smiley have been a source of great amusement to me! That's the look I want to see on people: "What the heck IS tjat thing?

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #12 - 10/11/07 at 22:57:22

I knew you were kidding,I was also Smiley Just love to go along with it Smiley

But I wasnt kidding about the comfortable seat....I'm beginning to think if I had a comfortable seat  that felt good,I wouldnt care alot what it looked like Smiley

Comfort is important,especially if youre going on a long ride!

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #13 - 10/11/07 at 23:03:19

I'm not sure who's bike the top picture is of the 3 pics,is it yours?

But I'm wondering where the footboards came from!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 10/12/07 at 11:48:44

Seatzilla! Shocked Shocked

I think the tractor seat would look cool.

That seat looks like it's made for the stereotypical cop, donut in hand.

Used to 'weed' my dad's 15 acre ranch (only if you concider kangaroo rats as cattle) with a ford tractor.  A couple of hours on that was fun.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:12:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › It all started with this BIG seat...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.