Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bike benched for a while ! (Read 14 times)
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Bike benched for a while !
Reply #30 - 10/11/07 at 12:42:50

once you get it back together - suck on the vac line that goes to the petc0ck - get any gas? - ( I'm sure there's safer ways to pull a vac on this line - but that's the easy way)

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #31 - 10/11/07 at 12:58:54

An old medical syringe is a safer way to check this and has other uses, like adding distilled water to the battery. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #32 - 10/11/07 at 13:43:48

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
An old medical syringe is a safer way to check this and has other uses, like adding distilled water to the battery. Max

Here's one in a handy 35cc size:

Ask your local horse Doctor to save you a couple, or offer to pay for them. Be sure and explain what you want them for, so they don't think you have a really huge dope addiction!!! Grin

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #33 - 10/11/07 at 13:51:55

I have a couple of ink cartridge syringes, I think that might work too.
So if I do this, I'm NOT supposed to get any gas right?
I'm still in the dark as to what all the parts of a carburetor are for. I've seen it inside out now, but what each part exactly does is beyond me. Do you know of a book or a site that explains step for step what each part actually does?
Would be interesting to find out.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #34 - 10/11/07 at 14:40:00

ok ok, you can buy one those big 35cc ones at the drug store for about a $1 - work well to bleed the brakes too

but where's the fun in that - she'll miss spitting out gas and learning new words

no - should not be any gas ever come down the vac line from the petc0ck

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #35 - 10/11/07 at 18:00:31

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
but where's the fun in that - she'll miss spitting out gas and learning new words

I wasn't ever gonna do it by mouth!! Tongue
I get extremely nauseous and clammy when I even smell gas, no way I would siphon it by mouth. I think I'd go into convulsions!! I wear one of those masks that filters chemicals when I work with gas or oil paints etc. I really hate feeling sick.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 10/11/07 at 18:35:46

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
...I get extremely nauseous and clammy when I even smell gas...

For some reason I get hungry when I smell gas...

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #37 - 10/12/07 at 01:59:02

jkhulon73 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
For some reason I get hungry when I smell gas...

That's funny!
I'd much rather feel hungry than sick!

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #38 - 10/12/07 at 02:06:35

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
once you get it back together - suck on the vac line that goes to the petc0ck - get any gas? - ( I'm sure there's safer ways to pull a vac on this line - but that's the easy way)

No, not a drop or even a scent of gas. I did hear the spring in the petcork scrunch (the one underneath the white cone shaped twisty thing) when I pulled the air out with the syringe. So I guess so far petcork and vacuum seem okay.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #39 - 10/12/07 at 02:15:47

Did you get gas flowing out of the petcork to the carb when you pulled the vacuum?  or couldn't tell because it was already completely hooked up?
That's the "proof of the pudding".

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #40 - 10/12/07 at 11:10:12

Next test !!!!  I should have seem this one before, sorry.....

With a good seal on the syringe & vacuum line (gook it and let dry if you have to), try to see if the setup will hold vacuum.  In theory, it should hold for a good long time as long as you can keep the syringe pulled out and not moving and have a good syringe to hose to petc0ck seal to begin with.

If your petc0ck diaphram is leaking by (got a hole/crack in it), you will lose the vacuum fairly quickly.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #41 - 10/12/07 at 12:33:04

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Next test !!!!  I should have seem this one before, sorry.....

With a good seal on the syringe & vacuum line (gook it and let dry if you have to), try to see if the setup will hold vacuum.  In theory, it should hold for a good long time as long as you can keep the syringe pulled out and not moving and have a good syringe to hose to petc0ck seal to begin with.

If your petc0ck diaphragm is leaking by (got a hole/crack in it), you will lose the vacuum fairly quickly.  

Yep, that would have been handy to know before I put the hose back on!
As soon as I feel like taking it of again I'll try that!
Actually, when I took the petcork apart I looked at the diaphragm, an it looked in good shape.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #42 - 10/12/07 at 12:35:08

youzguyz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Did you get gas flowing out of the petcork to the carb when you pulled the vacuum?  or couldn't tell because it was already completely hooked up?
That's the "proof of the pudding".

I had put it back together already.
But I can always empty the floatbowl by draining it (loosen the drain screw), and try again while leaving the screw off. If gas pours out I guess it works.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #43 - 10/12/07 at 15:20:34

islandwahine
 Sorry,  I was at work, couldn't answer earlier.  I only check the forum at lucnh or if it's a totally dead day.  Today was a day of trying to keep one manager from screaming at another.  Gezz, these people on a power trip should buy a LS650 and take a cruise ....... sorry ...... your's isn't running ....rude of me ....... But  I'll take a ride for you.......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:17:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike benched for a while !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.