Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bike benched for a while ! (Read 14 times)
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Bike benched for a while !
Reply #15 - 10/10/07 at 14:47:54

if you don't see a little near perfect circle of wear near the tip of it's likely in good shape unless you have some trash that has found it self between it and the seat - shake the float if you still have it apart - doesn't slosh around does it? - a sinking float can be he77 to find

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #16 - 10/10/07 at 14:53:22

I see a circle but near the bottom. What do you think?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #17 - 10/10/07 at 14:59:01

Question... The valve hangs on a lip which is part of the float. Right now the lip is flush with the area around it. What re the effects of the lip being up (towards the top of the carb) or down, towards floatbowl?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #18 - 10/10/07 at 15:08:04

not sure I understand the question - float goes down let's gas in goes up cuts the gas off - if the needle seats proper

can you feel that ring with you finger nail?

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #19 - 10/10/07 at 15:28:06

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
not sure I understand the question - float goes down let's gas in goes up cuts the gas off - if the needle seats proper

can you feel that ring with you finger nail?

No I can't feel it at all. As far as my question about the metal lip Clymer's suggested slightly bending it up or down depending on having the bike run richer or leaner. But they didn't say which was to bend it to get it to go richer.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #20 - 10/10/07 at 15:41:52

wow - I sure wouldn't bend it for rich/lean - set the float level- yes - but there is no reason to believe you float level is incorrect  -

by the way was there any debris in the float bowl when you took it off?

sure wouldn't hurt to install a small inline filter

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #21 - 10/10/07 at 15:49:58

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
by the way was there any debris in the float bowl when you took it off?

sure wouldn't hurt to install a small inline filter    

There was a tiny bit in it the first time I took the bowl off, but not today.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #22 - 10/10/07 at 15:51:37

I decided to wait on the petcork conversion. If the valve is indeed bad, I don't want to end up with gas in my crank case.
Maybe having cleaned the vacuum plug will help.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #23 - 10/10/07 at 15:55:49

if the float doesn't have gas in it - you hear nothing sloshing around - the float needle looks good enough,
the pin the float hangs on is clean and free -
back together and keep a big screw driver handy - starts over flowing like that wack the bowl with the plastic/rubber end of the screw driver - a good wack

get an small inline filter in case some little bits of rust are come'n from the tank - and fire it up

IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 10/10/07 at 18:04:34

You might want to check the insides of the bowl as well for any type of abrasion- on top of a bad o-ring in the needle valve, a bad petcork diafragum, a plugged pilot jet, and crud on the slide, my float was rubbing up against the inside of the bowl and getting stuck. No matter how much I whacked on it with a screwdriver, it stayed stuck...

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #25 - 10/10/07 at 18:39:09

Simple test to see if the float valve seat/seal is ok,

With fuel bowl off carb but float still on,

Take a fuel line hose or similar size (suggest a clean hose) and put on carb fuel inlet.  Take the other end of clean hose and huff & puff & blow a little air thru hose (light pressure only!!!).  With float dangling, air should come out.  Next, gently lift float up,  emphasis on gently.  Air should shut off.  Extra test, try to see it will hold pressure in the shut-off position.   Remember that air is thinner than gas, so it will leak by faster.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #26 - 10/10/07 at 22:01:21

Thanks T-Mack, will do that test.
While the carb was off again I did the spacer modification, and this time washed the diaphragm with some dish soap so it wouldn't be sticky anymore. After I re-assembled the carb for the second time, and put it back on, I changed the oil and filter, which was a good thing too!! Thanks to Reelthing!!! He explained about the oil seepage. I had indeed gas in my oil!! I think it happened when I was fiddling with the bike this morning, am I wishful thinking?
I hope that having cleaned out the petcork's vacuum debris will have fixed the problem, but if it is the valve, I'll have gas in the oil again.....
After changing the oil and filter I started her up, and she started right away, and strong!!
Took her for a spin, and wonder over wonder she ran fantastic, even better then last time. She sped up and down smoothly, no jerking or irregular speeds, just plain fantastic, for about 15 minutes............................... then she stalled.
I let her cool down at the store, did my grocery shopping and was able to start her back up again (took a few seconds, sounded like she had no gas). I made it home without stalling by keeping the throttle revving high, and held the clutch partially in when I had to slow down. Once I got home she died with a lot bang! No smoke though.
I messed with the idle and pilot screw a while and got her running smoothly when idling. I'm gonna leave it till tomorrow, and try your test.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #27 - 10/11/07 at 01:46:42

What year is your bike?

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #28 - 10/11/07 at 10:27:26

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
What year is your bike?

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #29 - 10/11/07 at 11:30:52

Thanks T-Mack, that was a great idea! The valve works great!! I pushed the float up gently while blowing, and pretty soon the air stopped. It's  pretty strong seal actually I didn't blow hard, but the resistance was total once the valve sealed off the passage, pretty cool!
So now my question is, how did the gas get in the oil if it wasn't the valve????
I don't think a lot got into it, cause my tank was still pretty full after it happened (I had filled her up the day before and only rode a short distance after). So I think I caught it in time.
Still, what happened? Now I know that it's not the valve I'll put the float bowl back on and take her out for a short spin to see if she stalls again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:21:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike benched for a while !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.