Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bike benched for a while ! (Read 14 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Bike benched for a while !
10/10/07 at 11:38:57

Tried to take the bike to class last night, and had trouble starting it. Got about 1/2 mile down the road when it died.
Took me a while and get her started up again, and as long as I revved her hard she kept going (died when easing throttle).
So this morning I tried to figure out what was going on. Finally got her started same thing, let go of throttle she died. Then I noticed a big puddle on ground. GAS! Dripping from the bottom of bike. Started her back up again to see where it was coming from, this time is was pouring out from underneath, couldn't see where it was coming from. Let go of throttle and she died. Removed seat to see if I could find it, and noticed the end of the tube that is never connected to anything, except the top right of the carb, was wet. I always have it tucked under the seat.
Started her up again to see if gas would come pouring out, nothing, no leak, no dripping, not from anywhere. Let go of throttle, she died. So I decided to put her on PRI. Started her up, she ran let go of throttle she ran..... turned petcork on "ON" she died. Guess my petcork is broken.
Now how is it possible for gas to come out of that little hose? How come she rode fine for a while and then this? AAAHHHHHHHH!!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
KCSavage
Ex Member

Re: Bike benched for a while !
Reply #1 - 10/10/07 at 11:45:40

I just had the same (or at least similar) problem.  I converted it to the reserve/run/off as described in the tech forum.  Now she runs fine.  I didn't have the gas spilling out problem like you did though.  It was just like one day the petcork decided it had enough and quit working.  The petcork conversion didn't take much time.  I highly recommend some gasket sealent for the petcork when you put it back on the tank.  I have seen some of your posts so I am guessing you can handle this little problem fairly easy.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #2 - 10/10/07 at 11:47:28

Thanks, I'll look for that post in the tech forum, sounds interesting!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 10/10/07 at 12:05:07

If the petc0ck is failing, you may want to check to be sure no fuel was making its way into the vacuum line.  If it has, you could have fuel mixed with your oil and you'd want to change that.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 10/10/07 at 12:14:21

IW.  Check the vacuum line going to the petcork.
If it's leaking, the petcork can't feed gas to the carb.

How it works:
In NORM.  Petcork is closed by diaphram inside, no gas flows.  Engine starts, the vacuum line to the petcork pulls on the diaphram and opens path from tank to carb, gas flows.

In PRI. diaphram is bypassed and gas flows all the time, and is only stopped by the float valve in the carb.

So, I would check that vacuum line first.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #5 - 10/10/07 at 12:50:28

So.. if I am reading all this right.

Pull vacuum line from petcork.
If gas starts coming out of that fitting on the petcork, the diaphram in there is shot and odds are good you have gas in your oil.   Instead of the vacuum just opening the petcork, the vacuum is pulling gas from the tank into the engine.  That is what Rob described.

If there is no gas coming from the fitting.  Pull vacuum line from carb end as well.  Check line for leaks.  That's what I described.

The concept is clear in my mind.. it just has a hard time making it to words.  Fingers keep getting in the way.  Tongue

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #6 - 10/10/07 at 13:53:40

Well!!..........
Did not see fuel in vacuum line. Have petcork taken all.... the way apart. Looks like diaphragm is intact. Now what I did find
was an utterly yucky!!

I kinda wonder if it was able to have any suction at all!
I think I might attempt the petcork conversion. The only thing I'm worried about with doing that is....what happens if i forget to turn the petcork OFF after I'm done riding?

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 10/10/07 at 13:55:57

The same thing that would happen if you left it at PRI all the time.
IF your float valve is ok, nothing evil.  IF it's bad and lets gas flow up into the carb.. then ..  someone else would know better than I.
Grin

I presume you checked the vacuum line itself, and it isn't leaking.
Maybe just cleaning that thing up and then testing it would be ok.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 10/10/07 at 13:56:18

your ok as long as the carb float does not stick

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 10/10/07 at 13:57:34

sounds like a float stick anyway - if you had gas out the vents

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #10 - 10/10/07 at 14:01:33

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
sounds like a float stick anyway - if you had gas out the vents

And there is the voice of the someone who knows better than I.
You just cleaned the carb.  I wonder if the float didn't go in quite as it should maybe?

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #11 - 10/10/07 at 14:19:31

youzguyz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
And there is the voice of the someone who knows better than I.
You just cleaned the carb.  I wonder if the float didn't go in quite as it should maybe?

Well I did not see anything different on the float stick, there are only 2 ways it could go back in there, and both right and left side looked the same (I don't mean op and bottom!!). Guess I need to check it out again.
Thanks guys!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 10/10/07 at 14:36:46

doesn't take much of a wear ring on the float needle rubber to make a less than proper seal - might eyeball it real good - normal when the petc0ck fails the bike starts sucking gas in through the vac line and running rough - then when you turn it off it contiues to run down the vac line filling the air box and cylinder with fuel - this fuel slowly seeps past the rings and fills the crankcase - then you can have some real issues as the new mixture of oil and gas doen't lube quite as well and stuff that moves starts to score pretty fast

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #13 - 10/10/07 at 14:40:00

OK, got carb out again! It did go out a heck of a lot easier without the top on, I'll have to mention that in my tech post!
The little scrawny clip that hangs the valve on the float has a couple of curvy things on them, which I had facing out towards the bowl. I flipped the valve and now have the scrawny clip facing the other way. Hopefully that is the way it was supposed to go.
What did you guys mean with the float stick?? the valve?

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #14 - 10/10/07 at 14:41:02

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
doesn't take much of a wear ring on the float needle rubber to make a less than proper seal - might eyeball it real good -

That's a hard one! it looks absolutely perfect!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:23:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike benched for a while !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.