Send Topic Print
Fuel Gauge (Read 17 times)
superdave
YaBB Newbies

I love my boulevard!

Missouri
Fuel Gauge
10/09/07 at 21:13:51

I got my S40 over a month ago, and enjoy riding it very much.  I realize it has a reserve on the tank, but has anyone added a gas gauge to their Suzuki, so that you know when the tank is almost empty?  Also, what is the light inside the speedometer, on lower right side?  I haven't seen it light up; what is its purpose?  Thanks for any feedback you can give me.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Fuel Gauge
Reply #1 - 10/10/07 at 02:11:37

Welcome to the site SuperDave.  Umm.. not THE superdave osborn?  What show was that from..
Anyway.
Most people use a trip meter of some kind instead of a gas gauge.
Look here Trip Meter Ideas  

That light doesn't do anything on most models and years.
There was a discussion about that a while back here:
Speedometer question

It always helps to check out the Technical Documents section here (it even has a nice menu post) and do a search for things you are looking for.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/10/07 at 02:58:32

While you are working it toward the "rat bike" image with the mods, maybe do a sightglass for a fuel gauge. Of course, a crash could be very bad, but hey, we need to know how much gas we have all the time & we only fall down occasionally, soooo??

Uhh, my idea stinks,Keeping up with the mileage is really easy, you get a feel for how often to get gas. It doesnt take long.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #3 - 10/10/07 at 08:48:52

Simple. Every 100 miles (160) km change to reserve (so you won't run out at a critical moment like passing a semmi on a 2 lane road with oncoming traffic in the distance, Ouchh!) Then look for the nearest gas station and you'll never run out (unless you've got a leak). I put on a Sigma tripmeter. It does a lot more than just that. It's very accurate, has things like max and average speed, clock etc,etc Grin

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 10/10/07 at 13:30:57

I'm using a Veypor computer.  A little pricey but I love it.  It estimates your fuel usage based on a calibration, distance travelled, acceleration, RPMs, etc.  It's a way more indepth version of the "trip meter -divided by- gallons added" at the gas station.  So far it has been dead accurate.

It also has a tach and gear indicator!  PM Lancer if interested.

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #5 - 10/10/07 at 14:15:32

vtail wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Simple. Every 100 miles (160) km change to reserve (so you won't run out at a critical moment like passing a semmi on a 2 lane road with oncoming traffic in the distance, Ouchh!) Then look for the nearest gas station and you'll never run out (unless you've got a leak). Grin

I do exactly the same and If I know how far I am going and it takes me over the hundred I fill up first.  I also carry a 33oz fuel canister in my tool bag "Just in Case".
that last suggestestion came from Smokey02 RIP.

Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #6 - 10/10/07 at 15:14:57

I write my mileage on either the speedometer or a wipe off note I have on the handle bars, when I've gone 100 miles, time to fill it, easy math, hasn't failed me yet

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 10/10/07 at 19:08:05

I thought a gas guage would be great, and a trip odometer too.  But, I'm getting so use to the way it is, I don't think I'll mod for that.  

I do similar as above posts, , I know to expect the have to switch to reserve at the 100 mile mark.  It was xxx20.x  on the odometer but on Sunday I did an early fill up for a long ride so now is xxx77.x miles.   I'm at 12040.5, I'll soon hit 12077.0 and then reserve it.

And, I switch as soon as there's a miss fire or if the idle starts getting low. I'm getting real good at it.  Then I got half a gallon to find gas.  That's 25 miles (or more).  Here in eastern PA, that's no problem.  I think if I did a trip like Beatduck, I would track it much closer.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:25:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel Gauge

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.