Seat evolution (Read 37 times)
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Seat evolution
10/08/07 at 06:46:46

It started here:
Seat mod using AirHawk

The sheepskin has been added as a complete covering.  Some pictures.

The pillion looks higher than usual, because it is.  That is two pillion pads stacked together.  My daughter has knee problems and needed a higher seat.  It also makes a nice backrest for me.

The sheepskin was originally for a car seat like this:
Ebay link

Took off the poly stuff from around edges then trimmed the length only.
It's attached by:
A steel cable that goes across between the main and pillion seat.  That is locked on both sides.
5 small bungee cords:
1. Tucked between the tank and seat.
2/3: From the front bungee to the steel cable (each side) to hold tuck the sides of the driver seat.
4/5: From steel cable to behind pillion (each side) to hold down the sides on the pillion.

Sounds complicated, but really isn't.  I can put it on in about 3 minutes.  The front bungee is secured permanently on one end.
The back bungees are permanently secured to the steel cable.  When the sheepskin is off, the steel cable goes in the saddle bag.

Took it out for a long ride Sunday (about 6 hours total and up to 80 mph).  Everything stayed in place, and it was quite comfortable.  Keyword there.. COMFORTABLE!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Re: Seat evolution
Reply #1 - 10/08/07 at 08:59:44

Cool!  Looks great.  I bet it's really comfortable.  But, I think it needs a few throw pillows and a big gulp holder.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #2 - 10/08/07 at 11:37:50

Cool!!!

Backrest....well,that's a good idea for someone!

You got the sheepskin done Smiley

(I ordered a sheepskin cover from Colorado and when it came I swear it stunk to high heaven. Very nice,but it smelled awful....I put it out on the porch for a couple hours,then got to thinking.....omg,the animals will drag it off somewhere due to the smell,for sure,thinking its something dead.....so I brought it back in and the smell was gone....thank God Grin )

Yours Looks nice and comfortable  Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/08/07 at 20:45:51

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 11:24:55 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 10/09/07 at 06:20:18

Gary,
That would be a good idea for a drive in.. but there aren't any around anymore.  At least not here.
Speaker would probably hang on the windshield just fine.  Got popcorn?

FreeSpirit,
Glad you got one.. and the smell didn't stay!  Is it ready to put on the bike or do you need to modify and such?

Dr Jim,
To date, I have not had any wolves chase me down the road.. or UFOs.  However, I will keep a sharp eye out and away from any cliffs.. at least I think that is what you are warning me about.   Grin

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #5 - 10/10/07 at 16:27:59

YouzGuyz,

Yes it was for a motorcycle,no mod needed.....it fits really good,buckles under the seat(put buckle strap under  the seat and leave it ,with just the small buckles hanging right outside the seat.....the cover has buckles also, so just unbuckle from outside the seat and take the sheepskin inside or wherever so no one steals it Smiley

(Sorry,was trying to go into detail here in case you wanted to use the buckle thing SmileyVery easy to sew buckle straps on if you think that may be easier to get on and off,like if youre caught out in the rain or something !? Yours may work though just like you want it to  Smiley

The smell smelled like dead sheep  Grin It was in a sealed plastic bag ,so smell wasnt able to get out.

Once aired out ,the smell went away ,thank GOd!

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #6 - 10/10/07 at 22:21:33

It looks extremely comfortable!! What do yo do when it starts raining? Does it go off faster then 3 minutes, or do you have a cover to quickly throw over it?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 10/11/07 at 01:28:26

WOW ... is this a TRANSFORMER BIKE ?   Grin

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 10/11/07 at 02:14:17

I had thought about the grommets, even bought some.
I looked at buckles, D-rings, etc, as well.
While I was fitting it and contemplating and adjusting and looking.. I realized that
1.  I don't sew worth a plug nickel.
2.  I had it down pretty good with just the bungie cords I was using for "temporary" hold down.
Soo.. took it from there.  I wanted "easy off, easy on", but not "easy steal".  I did not want to have to pull it off to go into a store for 30 minutes.. and once I had it off, where would I put it anyway?  I would have to keep a saddle bag empty.

Replaced the center bungie (that went over the top) with a steel cable.  If somebody wants it, they will have to cut that cable, or the sheepsking.  The rest of the bungies were left as described above.  And added a snap on the back.

To get it off, release all 5 bungies (one end only, easy to get to. The other ends are permanently attached to the steel cable for 4 of them. The front one has an end permantly attached under the seat).  Unlock the steel cable, undo snap, and it's off.  Could probably do it in 30 seconds or less if in a rush.  But I should carry a piece of plastic if really in a crunch.. good idea.
Of course, I keep an eye on the weather as well!  Grin

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #9 - 10/11/07 at 02:20:14

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
WOW ... is this a TRANSFORMER BIKE ?   Grin

I hate to sound ignorant, but I must confess I do not know.  What is a TRANSFORMER BIKE?

The last time I heard the word (unless in electronics), it was a cartoon.. or one of those toys.  That was a long time ago!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #10 - 10/11/07 at 02:36:08

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
YouzGuyz,

Yes it was for a motorcycle,no mod needed.....it fits really good,buckles under the seat(put buckle strap under  the seat and leave it ,with just the small buckles hanging right outside the seat.....the cover has buckles also, so just unbuckle from outside the seat and take the sheepskin inside or wherever so no one steals it Smiley

(Sorry,was trying to go into detail here in case you wanted to use the buckle thing SmileyVery easy to sew buckle straps on if you think that may be easier to get on and off,like if youre caught out in the rain or something !? Yours may work though just like you want it to  Smiley

The smell smelled like dead sheep  Grin It was in a sealed plastic bag ,so smell wasnt able to get out.

Once aired out ,the smell went away ,thank GOd!

Detail is fine.. I looked at doing buckles.  Couldn't figure a way to secure them well enough to satisfy my paranoia!  Like everything else, it's a trade off.
It works for you, and that's great!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 10/11/07 at 03:44:25

youzguyz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I hate to sound ignorant, but I must confess I do not know.  What is a TRANSFORMER BIKE?

The last time I heard the word (unless in electronics), it was a cartoon.. or one of those toys.  That was a long time ago!

Yep, like the cartoon, only now there is a movie...and it is kind of fun.  I liked it.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #12 - 10/11/07 at 03:59:21

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Yep, like the cartoon, only now there is a movie...and it is kind of fun.  I liked it.

Ah.. that explains it.  I don't get out to the movies much.
It does change appearance based on what I intend to do that day.. and the weather.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 10/11/07 at 04:14:10

The s40 has a very fine seat its the shocks that are to stiff.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #14 - 10/11/07 at 09:38:30

bill67 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
The s40 has a very fine seat its the shocks that are to stiff.

Heretic! Blasphemer! I see you like tacking into the wind.  Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:19:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seat evolution

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.