Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GRIP REMOVAL....Im lost.. (Read 11 times)
southerngirl
Ex Member

GRIP REMOVAL....Im lost..
10/07/07 at 06:19:33

I was hoping someone had posted a thread in tech section about factory grip removal, but I cant find anything.. I have read every thread on here in search about grips..I dont know where to start. If I just start pulling on the grips are they connected to anything, read something about throttle sleeve and shaving or sanding it down, I am lost...Please help.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Re: GRIP REMOVAL....Im lost..
Reply #1 - 10/07/07 at 06:58:28

when i pull grips, i usually place a long thin screwdriver between the grip and the bar, and squirt wd40 in there, rotate the screwdriver around and do it again, until the grip slides off. they may be held on with some sort of glue, so this may require a couple trips around, with the screwdriver, to break them loose. handlebars and throttle should be standard size, so any grips for 1" bars will fit. i cant understand why sanding would be nessesary, except to remove the remnants of the glue. i have heard, some folks use hairspray to reinstall grips, while wet it acts as a lube to help slide on, when dry it acts like a glue, i haven't done that myself, your results may vary.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
southerngirl
Ex Member

tRe: GRIP REMOVAL....Im lost..
Reply #2 - 10/07/07 at 07:04:34

thanks, i will try to get them done today..

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 10/07/07 at 07:37:45

southerngirl wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
read something about throttle sleeve and shaving or sanding it down

On the older bikes the sleeve is not round - it has ridges that run from end to end - works almost like a throttle lock against your palm - the '95 has them the '02 does not

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 10/07/07 at 09:29:41

98 had the grooves too.

If you think you will want to remove the grips in the future without risking damage to them, use hairspray, spray paint or chain wax to affix them. All hold as good (or better) than the glue that you get from the bike shop. Which is nothig more than thinned RTV gasket maker or rubber cement.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #5 - 10/07/07 at 13:43:56

If you are replacing the rubber grips with new ones, cut them off with box cutter.  Thats what I did.  After you get the rubber off it will all fall into place as to the next step.

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
southerngirl
Ex Member

it Re: GRIP REMOVAL....Im lost..
Reply #6 - 10/07/07 at 21:20:58

went to Gatlinburg, didnt get a chance to work on my bike at all today. I am replacing the factory grips. Didnt know hairspray held that tight, I have been using it for years on my hair, never thought about using it as  an adhesive on a motorcycle. Wink How bout that...Thanks guys...HEY!! How do you all know so much about hairspray?? Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:19:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › GRIP REMOVAL....Im lost..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.