Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Major Renovation Docu-Drama (Read 21 times)
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Major Renovation Docu-Drama
10/05/07 at 11:02:30

A Savage is Re-Born

Now that I've gotten past my "gotta have a bigger bike" phase (after looking at some and realizing I would still not be "satisfied"), I've decided to do the things I've always thought about doing to the Savage to make it "perfect" for me.  So, I'm taking the extra cash I would have spent on a "bigger" bike and starting my "major renovation" project on the Savage.  I call it "major", but compared to some of the other projects it's superficial.  But it is major to me and probably most of us Savage owners who prefer to ride than wrench.  

My dad is a former body-shop foreman/worker/painter, one brother built and raced cars as a hobby, and the other is a contractor who does fantastic work.  Me, well, I didn't seem to get any of the mechanical type skills.  I'm a computer programmer and I'm a klutz with tools.  My brothers always tease me about not using power tools or sharp objects because I'll hurt myself.  But I'm setting out on this project because I've seen so many others (including you great female riders) do many of the things I've been wanting to do, and because I want the pleasure of showing off a really cool bike that I customized myself.  I've been doing some mods and wrenching on the Savage and I feel comfortable that I can get it done, if I have patience and take my time.

So this is my Docu-Drama about the major renovations I'm doing to my Savage over the next few weeks (months?).  I'm documenting it so that 1) it will encourage other non-mechanical people like myself and 2) it will cause me to take my time try to do it right with others watching.  Some of the items I have done already and will post the pictures.  The others I will try to document as I do them.  So sit back, relax, and be ready for a few laughs (on me) as I do this.

Renovations planned:
  • HD Dyna handlebars (done)
  • New grips (done)
  • Replace steering stem head (done)
  • Large solo seat
  • Luggage rack (instead of pillon seat)
  • Cone air filter with 180deg attachement
  • Chain drive conversion
  • New clutch springs
  • Paint bodywork (tank,panels,fenders)

Possible renovations (things I would like to do but may not get to this pass)
  • Hard saddlebags (painted same color as bike)
  • Driving lights/light bar
  • Forkbrace
  • Floorboards or better pegs

Changes made in past (not associated with this renovation)
  • Seat raised
  • HD SE turnout pipe
  • Windscreen
  • Carb rejetted/spacer
  • HD Sportster seat (removed)

I'll update this list as I complete the items.  Wish me luck!

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Re: Major Renovation Docu-Drama
Reply #1 - 10/05/07 at 11:14:44

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 11:30:46 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/05/07 at 11:24:28

I agree with jim, fork-brace 1st   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #3 - 10/05/07 at 11:24:46

Where it all began....

I was born a poor red savage.  I bought the bike back in Oct 2005.  It used to be owned by another guy on this site (vince95).  Vince took some of the parts off before I bought it to sell individually.  Would have loved to have the engine guard.

I proceeded to mess it up from there... (latest pics)

Vince did a good job cleaning it up from the previous owner(s) but the tank was badly sun damaged (notice the big cross sticker in his pic).  Also, the chrome on the steering stem head was pitted and most of the controls on the handlebars were badly weathered.  Looks like it sat in the elements a lot.   I replaced the stem head, polished the controls, and "tried" to polish the tank to see if it could recover.  It didn't so I started to get it ready to pant.

So that is what I'm starting with and hopefully improving on.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #4 - 10/05/07 at 11:27:20

Dr_Jim wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Bad News, Gary:

It ain't a document 'til the pictures are in....

Come on - post up - really am curious how it all turns out.

BTW - move the fork brace further up the list, it makes the bike so much more fun to ride.

Cheers

Jim

Dang!  Gimme a chance to "document"  Grin  Besides, it's a docu-DRAMA.... the DRAMA is what keeps ya comin' back.

By the way... thanks for the handlebars.  I can't believe how much of an improvement they make.  I'll take your suggestion on the forkbrace and move it up.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 10/05/07 at 13:39:16

Gary On A Savage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
  • Large solo seat
  • Floorboards or better pegs ...  

• After my litte 2700 mile week+ jaunt I did not ride for two days, and sat on pillows.  The first 1000 miles wasn't bad -- but I realize that a good saddle is a must if I'm to do any more long trips.  I still would like to be certified by the IBA as crazy.

My feet hurt worse than my butt..

WWW   IP Logged
    Gary On A Savage
    Serious Thumper
    Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
    could save you $$$
    in Dr bills

Fresno, California
    Reply #6 - 10/05/07 at 15:07:59

Paladin, I never realized how hard the little savage was on me till I went on a few 300 mile rides (stiffer than a board).  Then I test rode a honda silverwing (gl650 not the scooter).  Boy, did it show me what was really needed to make some comfortable rides, mainly seat and pegs.  I also have a 2gal extended tank that I'm wanting to add to my list because I really want to take some long rides (few days to week) next year.  I don't know if I could ever do any IBA trips, but wouldn't that blow a few IBA minds to get certified on a savage.

WWW   IP Logged
    Paladin.
    Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
    Reply #7 - 10/05/07 at 15:19:08

About a dozen have done SS1000's on the Savage, including a young lady on this site (with a Russell Day Long saddle).  No one has yet done a BB1500, which to me appears to be easier.

The Savage was very impressive on the highway -- no problems whatsoever.

WWW   IP Logged
    SavageWahine
    Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
    Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
    Reply #8 - 10/05/07 at 15:21:20

I have to agree on the pegs.
    My little trip in the mountains yesterday put me in the seat for about 4 hours. I kept on putting my feet on the peg in different places, mainly my right foot, the left seemed to be doing fine.
    I think a flatter surface with some nice cushioned rubber would do the trick

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
    You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
      IP Logged
    Gary On A Savage
    Serious Thumper
    Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
    could save you $$$
    in Dr bills

Fresno, California
    Reply #9 - 10/05/07 at 17:45:43

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
    About a dozen have done SS1000's on the Savage, including a young lady on this site (with a Russell Day Long saddle).  No one has yet done a BB1500, which to me appears to be easier.

The Savage was very impressive on the highway -- no problems whatsoever.

Yeah, it's not the bikes fault.  I'm still trying to reach 500 in a day.  I wish I could afford a Russell Day Long, but that would be pretty much my whole budget.  

This is the seat I'm going to try.  It's about 3 inches longer and about the same width.  I'll be able to sit a little higher and further back giving me just the right leg position.  And it doesn't have the severe dip at the tailbone.  The flatter design should eliminate the problem I have with the stock seat making my tailbone hurt.  At least that is my thinking on the matter.

WWW   IP Logged
    Gary On A Savage
    Serious Thumper
    Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
    could save you $$$
    in Dr bills

Fresno, California
    Reply #10 - 10/07/07 at 21:54:37

It's been two busy days - but not all working on the bike.  Saturday I took the rear wheel off, pulled the fender, and preped it for painting.  The other pieces had already been done.  Put the first coats of paint on as well.  Sunday afternoon I wet sanded the first 2 coats and put another coat on.  I want to put another coat on tonight before I go to bed.  I also spent a few hours cleaning the motor and frame.  Lots of grime and old oil down under the motor.  Much easier to do with the bike torn down and put up on a jack.

Here's the new handlebars.  New grips, also.

All torn down

Here's a trick I found while taking the rear wheel off.  I stuck the largest allen wrench that would fit in the hole on the right side.  Then jammed it in the notch for the adjuster.  It's an easy way to keep the axle from turning while your loosening the rear axle.

WWW   IP Logged
    Gary On A Savage
    Serious Thumper
    Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
    could save you $$$
    in Dr bills

Fresno, California
    Reply #11 - 10/07/07 at 22:48:08

The budget paint job...how to paint your bike without spraying it

My savage was badly in need of some new paint.  I found some good articles about doing it using rattle cans, so I had planned to do it that way.  However, while doing research on the spray paint techniques I ran into a post on a site on how a guy painted his cars using a roller.  Yes, I said a roller.  And guess what...I looked FANTASTIC.  He explained that he used Tremclad, a Canadian version of Rustoleum, and thinned it with mineral spirits.  Then rolled it on with a high density foam roller.  He said that it cost only $50 to do a whole car, and it looked just as good as most sprayed jobs.

This sounded right up my alley, being that I cannot spray paint worth a darn.  SO, I picked up some paint ($8 for a quart of Glossy Forest Green Rustoleum) and the supplies necessary (about $25), did some practice to figure out what I needed to do, then started painting the bike yesterday.  You cannot believe how much easier to do than spraying, and it's less messy.  You put the paint on pretty lightly and it self levels itself.  And the results so far are great.  Much better than I could do spraying, and better than paying $300-500 for the same results at a cheap paint shop.  It is basically a single stage enamel paint job.  It's not a base coat/clear coat like the factory paint.  But the advantage is that it's very easy to do, and very easy to repair nicks/scratches with touchups.  The paint is much harder than normal auto paint as well.

Here is the first forum I hit searching:
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476749

And here's the original post from another website:
    http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&...

If you are interested in this, please read the 2 links above before you start asking questions on this thread.  Some of you have probably already heard about this.  Actually, some of you probably already have done this on other things, not just m/c's (or cars).  It's actually not a new idea, it's just that the newer paint and rollers make the results just that much better.

Here's a pic of my paint so far.  This is after 3 coats.  (actually looks better in person than in pic).  I really like the color.  It doesn't look like everyone else's bike.

Here is the materials for those interested.

I have 3 more coats to put on.  One more tonight before I go to bed.  Wet sand with 1000 grit tomorow evening and another coat.  Another coat Tues night.  Then l will wet sand with 2000 grit, and polish to a shine later on in the week.

I'll post more pics Tues and the final results.  I'm thinking about doing an accent on the side to the tank in a sand color, but that's still in up in the air.

WWW   IP Logged
    rigidchop
    Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
    llama

ravenswood wv
    Reply #12 - 10/08/07 at 04:14:49

that paint doesn't look bad for being put on with a roller.i was actually expecting the worst, when i first started reading, but it looks good. i hope that it holds up well.good job.

87 VM ED L
      IP Logged
    Gary On A Savage
    Serious Thumper
    Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
    could save you $$$
    in Dr bills

Fresno, California
    Reply #13 - 10/09/07 at 21:05:43

Still waiting for the new parts to be delivered.  I did finish painting the tank and fenders.  Here are some pics of the front fender after polishing.  Looks even better after I waxed it some.  The parts still need some more polishing and waxing, but they look really good for a roller job.

The finish is not shiny plastic looking, like a BC/CC finish.  I like it much better.  Looks more like the finish on an older bike.

WWW   IP Logged
    Pages: 1
    Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
    SuzukiSavage.com
    09/22/24 at 16:27:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Major Renovation Docu-Drama

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!