Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is there any reason why you can't..... (Read 13 times)
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Is there any reason why you can't.....
10/04/07 at 23:46:05

Make your own highway bars?

For some reason I have been thinking about this all week(or more) and there must be a reason why you can't or I figured more people would be doing it....so ,is there a reason?

Or...... has anyone here ever made their own?

I know the chroming would be expensive,but is there any other reason.

Maybe some I havent thought of!? I'm just real curious about this ...and I'm not sure why Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Is there any reason why you can't.....
Reply #1 - 10/05/07 at 00:28:22

Free, there's absolutely NO reason why someone couldn't fabricate their own highway bars (or any other accessory for that matter ...) ... some steel pipe, some brackets, a few bolts, rattlecan primer/paint ... oh yeah ... a welder and a bit of talent wouldn't go astray either Grin Wink

Seriously, there are folk here at suzukisavage.com who can literally put an a$$ in a cat backwards when it comes to rigging up modifications for the Thumper ... highway bars should be relatively easy for most of 'em!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 10/05/07 at 04:03:12

3/4 galvanized conduit,hickey bender,big vise, no welder needed...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #3 - 10/05/07 at 06:08:42

it would not be a problem to build hiway bars, if there was a desire to have something different, or to save some $$$. chroming isn't really that expensive, (depending on which environmental nazzi state you might live in) but it starts to push the price up. they are one of the few accesssories actually available for the savage, so it is easier to buy, IF the store bought part suits your needs.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #4 - 10/05/07 at 08:43:36

Thanks guys!

One reason why I asked is I'm having,for some reason,a difficult time making up my mind on what I want.....from the store choices.

Then I started thinking,I'll just make my own for a temporary use,.....then I'll have some at least for now, and  will have more time to decide on "real " ones that I want Smiley

I thought about just painting them black....and also thought about just making a straight bar....but wasnt sure if that would work,to mount on the single part or if I'd need to make it for the lower part of frame for more support.

Any ideas?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 10/05/07 at 10:05:34

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Thanks guys!

One reason why I asked is I'm having,for some reason,a difficult time making up my mind on what I want.....from the store choices.

Then I started thinking,I'll just make my own for a temporary use,.....then I'll have some at least for now, and  will have more time to decide on "real " ones that I want Smiley

I thought about just painting them black....and also thought about just making a straight bar....but wasnt sure if that would work,to mount on the single fork or if I'd need to make it for the lower forks for more support.

Any ideas?

Shoot.  I saw a photo where someone built a motorcycle with wood.

There's nothing stopping you from using a couple u-bolts and a 2 x 2 either.  No welding, bending, or chroming needed.

A nice sealer stain would be a good touch too.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #6 - 10/05/07 at 10:29:35

Greg , you can use wood if you like,but I prefer metal Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 10/05/07 at 10:37:06

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Greg , you can use wood if you like,but I prefer metal Smiley

Just a thought....

http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2006/04/wood_motorcycle.html
Tongue

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 10/05/07 at 11:00:28

Greg,
  Holy moly....just think about  that wood bike getting caught in a rain storm.  Wonder how warped it would get when the wood started to swell? ? ?

All,
Here's a tip for benting pipe (poor person's pipe bender).  Fill the pipe with sand.   It will help prevent most of the kinking.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #9 - 10/05/07 at 11:59:08

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Greg,
  Holy moly....just think about  that wood bike getting caught in a rain storm.  Wonder how warped it would get when the wood started to swell? ? ?

All,
Here's a tip for benting pipe (poor person's pipe bender).  Fill the pipe with sand.   It will help prevent most of the kinking.

I knew you guys were smart Smiley That's one reason why I ask ya'll instead of the hardware guys!

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #10 - 10/05/07 at 12:10:46

I spend a lot of time in hardware stores, walking around and thinking about what to use to accomplish an idea I had.
So putting together a highway bar would not be too hard. You can use these steel pipes they sell with thread on the end. They have them in different lengths, get 2 long ones (the width you want your guard to be) and 4 short ones (the height you want your guard to be). Purchase 4 T-bars (two on top, 2 on the bottom) and 4 elbow connectors for the corner.  You might have a bit of a puzzle figuring out which ones you want to purchase with threads and which ones without. Sounds like a great thing to go and mess with.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #11 - 10/05/07 at 12:28:03

IW....I do look online moreso than in hardware stores,but try to get ideas there also.

You said "Purchase 4 T-bars (two on top, 2 on the bottom) and 4 elbow connectors for the corner.  

I'm trying to picture that ....but will probably need to go to  hardware store to see.

How would you connect the T-bars? Not sure yet what youre saying but going to hdwe store in a few minutes.

I bought the bar,threaded and end caps(hdwe store was closing yesterday,not much time to look)....but will just have to go see for the rest to see what youre saying.Thought about just a straight bar yesterday.

And then there's other things to consider....will come back and post more.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #12 - 10/05/07 at 15:43:15

FreeSpirit, made a quick drawing in PaintShop, but this is what I kinda had in mind.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #13 - 10/05/07 at 16:11:50

I made some back before I put on the forward controls. I only had a vice, hacksaw, drill, and hand tools. I'll look for a picture.

Jim

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #14 - 10/05/07 at 16:13:58

clueless wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I made some back before I put on the forward controls. I only had a vice, hacksaw, drill, and hand tools. I'll look for a picture.

Jim

Cool Jim!! Would like to see themSmiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:55:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is there any reason why you can't.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.