Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is there any reason why you can't..... (Read 13 times)
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: Is there any reason why you can't.....
Reply #15 - 10/05/07 at 16:21:55

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
FreeSpirit, made a quick drawing in PaintShop, but this is what I kinda had in mind.
http://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2007%5C10%5C05%5Cbikepics-1046700-full.jpg

Where you have got the T's connected,are they in line with the pipe or sitting over the pipe?

Sorry,hardware guy was trying to help so much that I got into looking at other metal stuff and forgot to look at the T things.

They look in line,which means you'd have to cut the pipe ,but that could just be the drawing.But I think you said to buy 2 long pieces for the top and bottom bars...originally,but not sure though.

Mmmmm,I've been thinking about this too much....my brain is getting cluttered Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #16 - 10/05/07 at 16:24:24

I spend a lot of time in hardware stores, walking around and thinking about what to use to accomplish an idea I had.
So putting together a highway bar would not be too hard. You can use these steel pipes they sell with thread on the end. They have them in different lengths, get 2 long ones (the width you want your guard to be) and 4 short ones (the height you want your guard to be). Purchase 4 T-bars (two on top, 2 on the bottom) and 4 elbow connectors for the corner.  You might have a bit of a puzzle figuring out which ones you want to purchase with threads and which ones without. Sounds like a great thing to go and mess with.

That is what you said ,I think,but did you change the plan? That pipe(what I call it )gets pretty heavy,if you add too much together The piece I got for the straight bar is pretty heavy by itself.
I'm now picturing the bike tipping forward on end  Grin Sorry,just getting tired Smiley

Then the mounting of the bar...I would probably have to get someone who has a drill press,....not sure if I could get the holes to line up if I drilled it with a regular drill! If I went for a straight bar and drilled for mounting holes....I'll have to take a break and think about this later Smiley
I was thinking drilling rather than welding because the guys around here charge way to much to weld Smiley

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #17 - 10/05/07 at 18:10:16

Actually the top and bottom pipe would slide through the T-bars. I think that if they are left lose at first, until you know where to mount the thing on the frame, then you can drill a couple of holes in them and anchor it down with a bolt. No welding required.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #18 - 10/05/07 at 18:19:18

Well.....how heavy you think that would be? I'm trying to figure out how heavy this one pipe is!

And does pipe really screw in that well? I'm still trying to figure out if all that would screw together well or at all? Undecided

And how would you mount it? It can't sit right on the frame.

I actually bought some U-bolts and cheap railing($.98 ),and a piece of angled steel today to just experiment with.To see what will work and what wont ,angles,heights,mounting,etc.Smiley
I have a drill,hand tools,saw,etc. No bending thing,no welder,what else is it I dont have....something else.??...oh,no vice.

Decided it may be best to experiment first on this Smiley

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #19 - 10/05/07 at 21:19:43

Good idea on the experimenting. It gives you more of a 3-D perspective. If you use the pre-made elbows you don't need to bend it. Just make sure you are not too fixated on cheap! What use is the highway bar if you drop the bike and it just crumbles??

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #20 - 10/05/07 at 23:32:08

Good idea on the experimenting. It gives you more of a 3-D perspective. If you use the pre-made elbows you don't need to bend it. Just make sure you are not too fixated on cheap! What use is the highway bar if you drop the bike and it just crumbles??

IW....Do you think "anyone" would use cheap materials for a highway bar???  

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #21 - 10/06/07 at 01:44:53

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
IW....Do you think "anyone" would use cheap materials for a highway bar???  

I would hope not!!
I was just making sure because of what you said:
FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I actually bought some U-bolts and cheap railing($.98 ),and a piece of angled steel today to just experiment with.To see what will work and what wont ,angles,heights,mounting,etc.Smiley
Smiley

I just had a thought.
Can you fin out how much an already made highway bar weighs?
That way when you start looking for the real material you'll be using, you can find out if yours is going to be around the same in weight.
Having it heavier wont hurt it though I think. It might make it a little less top heavy. And especially for us girls who are a lot lighter then the guys, it would be nice to have it less top heavy.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #22 - 10/06/07 at 10:07:32

I would hope not!!
I was just making sure because of what you said:
I just had a thought.
Can you fin out how much an already made highway bar weighs?
That way when you start looking for the real material you'll be using, you can find out if yours is going to be around the same in weight.
Having it heavier wont hurt it though I think. It might make it a little less top heavy. And especially for us girls who are a lot lighter then the guys, it would be nice to have it less top heavy.

LoL....Ohhhhh...The .98 material is to experiment with, on  making one, to mess with on finding placement,height,how to mount,how to make ,etc.....Not to actually use!  Smiley Silly girl Smiley
I tried to make that clear on that  post,but guess I didnt !

I had looked into weight....saw where one weighed about 6-lbs....not sure on others.
But I was hoping the guys would comment on weight ,any reason not to make it too heavy.

But I would think even 6-lbs would be noticeable.

And you may be right,a "little" more weight from the bars may distribute the weight better....lower.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #23 - 10/06/07 at 10:12:44

clueless wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I made some back before I put on the forward controls. I only had a vice, hacksaw, drill, and hand tools. I'll look for a picture.

Jim

Hopefully Jim will find his pictures.....I'd love to see them  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:18:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is there any reason why you can't.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.