Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Clutch Slip at WOT
10/04/07 at 08:58:16

I've noticed the clutch on my savage will slip when I go wide open throttle.  Where this is really noticeable is when I'm cruising along in 4th or 5th and need to gun it.  If I crack it open, it slips for 1-3 seconds and then catches.  I usually have to ease the throttle to full to keep it fully engaged.  I don't notice it any other time, but then I don't go WOT off the stoplight.  Only modest throttle even when I'm taking off fast (PLENTY of power for me).

Does this sound like worn out clutch springs?  I have 22K on my 95 and I think they are factory.  It does this even after an oil change and the oil level is good.  I'm not wanting to drag harleys off the line (although if I had the opportunity...).  But I would like the comfort of knowing that if I needed getaway speed in a dangerous situation it would be there for me.

Thanks for the help.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Clutch Slip at WOT
Reply #1 - 10/04/07 at 09:03:28

springs get my vote hands down - you can likely breath some more life into them by adding some washers as slavy does - or order in the heavier ones - I'll look up the part number when i get back to the house if you want - likely need a clutch cable if you beef up the springs as well

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #2 - 10/04/07 at 09:30:55

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
springs get my vote hands down - you can likely breath some more life into them by adding some washers as slavy does - or order in the heavier ones - I'll look up the part number when i get back to the house if you want - likely need a clutch cable if you beef up the springs as well

If you could get the part number that would be great (and a good supplier if you know one).  I'm seriously planning the chain conversion so I probably need them anyway.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 10/04/07 at 09:37:51

At 22K,  there is a small possibilty it's time for new clutch plates.

But before you do that....or before you go buying stuff....

1 - make sure the oil inside is Motorcycle oil.  Many auto oils and some diesel oils now have anti-friction additives which aren't good for wet clutch applications.

2 - Make sure cable is adjusted correctly.  You should have a little play in the lever before it start to disengage.  The Stealership had mine adjusted right at the end after the yearly safety inspection (touch the lever and it was starting to disenage)

If these two thing are ok, then pop the side and have at it.  Measure the clutch plates while you have it apart.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/04/07 at 10:23:04

Had the same problem just as you'd described.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Put a set of barnett mt10-4's in and the problems gone.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 10/04/07 at 11:04:28

I also noticed it on my Savage and corrected it by replacing the springs with new Barnett springs.  Also remember that loss of spring tension is more a matter of time than mileage.  Though my bike only had about 9500 miles or so at the time, it was nine years old.  The wear on plates, on the other hand, is more a function of use/abuse.  Lancer is an authorized Barnett dealer and can get them for you.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #6 - 10/04/07 at 23:50:07

Thanks.  I'll get some clutch springs from Lancer and watch the oil.  Appreciate the help.

WWW   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #7 - 10/05/07 at 02:37:25

EBC also do plates and/or springs.