What's that bolt? (Read 4 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
What's that bolt?
10/03/07 at 20:41:02

I had totally cleaned my engine block a couple of weeks ago with brake cleaner and toothbrush. It looked totally clean afterwards.
I took a look at it today and realized that the front was totally black again. It looks like soot, oily soot.
I noticed that there is a bolt underneath the exhaust pipe right in that little "cave" area (kinda up-side-down) that had some oil glistening on it. What's that bolt for?
I grabbed a wrench to see if it was loose and I was able to turn it about 1/4 turn. Should I not have done that? Is it supposed to release oil pressure?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Re: What's that bolt?
Reply #1 - 10/04/07 at 04:45:10

If I am understanding you correctly, that is one of the head bolts and directly over it is the infamous "leaky plug".  I would think that being able to turn it might be a bad thing, but I don't know the torque specs off of the top of my head.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 10/04/07 at 05:06:36

Sounds like what Greg describes here:

"Plug/Cap" Leak  

Keep an eye on your oil level.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 10/04/07 at 05:23:39

Maybe that one, but I'm guessing the upside down nut that is in the middle of the cylinder behind the frame downtube.

Is it a 12 MM nut?  If so, they do tend to drip oil, and during my last assembly I tried an "experimental" way of sealing it again....so far no drip.

Oh, if the nut turned  easily a 1/4 turn, there shouldn't be any problem.  It was just loose.

IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #4 - 10/04/07 at 07:24:55

12mm nut on 8mm stud - 20ft.lb. max should do it.  
Mine was seeping oil and need re-torquing several times before staying dry.  Maybe the bolt is stretching?  The rear one seems to stay tight so perhaps being near the exhaust header has something to do with it.  
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 10/04/07 at 07:33:11

down and to the side of the exh port is an oil passage bolt comes from the pump b4 going up to cylinder
do search for  oil passage think lancer posted a diagram a while back....

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 10/04/07 at 07:45:41

I've seen both of these nuts with leaks.

The oil is nothing more than a cosmetic issue.  The oil actually seeps from the pressure oil passages and around  the inside ridges of the head gasket.

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't normally get into the combustion chamber and it doesn't cause any loss of compression, either.

When I did the reassembly this time, I put a small amount of gasket sealer around the base of the stud before I put the head on the new gasket.  (I used a Q-tip)  Then I replaced the stock nuts with stainless nuts and washers (since they tend to round off easily).

No leaks...yet Tongue

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #7 - 10/04/07 at 17:54:21

That's the Cylinder Head to Cylinder nut. There's also one in the back cylinder cavity. The front one tends to loosen up. It's close to the exhaust and heats up more. I have retorqued that one 2 times in 3000 miles.The rear one tends to stay tight. Torque it to 17-19.9 ft/lbs. Hard to get a torque wrench in so get a 12 mm boxend wrench and a fishscale. My boxend wrench is 4'' center to center so I pull at 90 degrees at 53 pounds.
(53X4=212 inch/lbs=17.6 ft/lbs). Always do the math; Grin. When I stick my finger in there (Oke, no wise cracks. Cold motor) and it's got oil on it, just retorque. Only takes 30 seconds Smiley
http://www.geocities.com/tramnath/Savage_Torque_Spec.htm

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #8 - 10/04/07 at 22:29:52

Thanks everyone!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 03:29:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What's that bolt?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.