Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Shutting down the engine.....Sounds? (Read 19 times)
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Shutting down the engine.....Sounds?
Reply #15 - 10/04/07 at 03:01:10

Sometimes the exhaust pop (not always) and always the starter winding down noise.  Or Maybe I should say the " Starter clutch set" assembly.  It free wheels when the bike is running.  I figured it was the inertial keeping it moving for a sec when the bike shuts down but what Max says also makes sense.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #16 - 10/04/07 at 03:12:55

Reverse of T-Mack.  Usually the chuff, (sometimes the POW).  On occasion, the starter noise.
I knew it was the starter area, just never knew why.  Max and T-Mack give plausible explanations.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 10/04/07 at 04:11:02

The idea that our bikes can release compression by rolling the engine off the compression stroke has been debated before -- inconclusively.  

I am one of the ones that think it does/can happen and that's why our cam chain tensioner has the little notches on it to keep it from compressing and allowing the chain slop from increasing on a "temporary sudden backwards roll" to the point we can skip timing.

The chuff and the pow is the last charge of gas/air mixture releasing pressure as the bike rolls off compression and an exhaust valve opens.  The gas/air charge runs down the exhaust pipe and hits the still red hot baffles in the exhaust pipe and igniting.

chuff POW

If an intake valve happens to be the lucky one this time around the compression goes out the carburetor.

chuff or .... chuff chrrrrrrr  (or a "crunch" added occasionally)

Every simple chuff is the motor rolling backwards and is likely accompanied by the churrrr sound of the starter gear running backwards and maybe the short crunchy sound is the cam chain running backwards a bit.  Or maybe it the the starter clutch engaging a bit and trying to spin the starter (who knows for sure?).

You should prefer the chuff POWs to the chuff chrrrrs to the chuff "crunch"s -- less wear and tear on your various bits and pieces.

The older your bike gets the freer & looser the motor will be and the more this sort of stuff will happen.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #18 - 10/04/07 at 04:43:05

This is a non-intentional hijack.
The more I read Oldfeller2's post.. the more I was thinking "So that's why my body makes those noises.. "  especially the "The older your bike gets the freer & looser the motor will be and the more this sort of stuff will happen. " part.   Yep.. as I get older the more chuffs, POWs and crunchs.
LMAO!!
"Growing older, but not up" Jimmy Buffett

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #19 - 10/04/07 at 05:53:44

What T-Mack1 describes above sounds like what I was trying to describe ... albiet in a more "non-technical" manner than Mack! Grin ... that's what my Bike does ... sometimes followed by a muted "chuff" from the exhaust!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #20 - 10/04/07 at 06:05:00

I get the occassional "Klunk" when I turn it off also, not that often though.   After reading this, it does sound like something that is all of a sudden put in reverse motion.  And of course the little "poof".

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 10/04/07 at 06:52:08

FreeSpirit wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
So it kinda sounds like the engine just went bad....lol...I can't describe the sound of mine like Jkhulon did,but after reading all the problems here,I am a little paranoid Smiley

It's kinda a loud sound? Like it died? Smiley

Or a clunk?

I hope that I make a loud sound when I die, but chances are that I'll just poot Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #22 - 10/04/07 at 07:06:52

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Mine sometimes makes a slight high(er) pitched "pheewer" type sound (almost a whine, but not quite?) when shutting down ... been doing it since I bought her new in '03, so to me it's normal.

That almost sounds like the reports of meowing at shutdown, which was attributed to the fuel tank trying to equalize pressure.  I think it should only apply to those models without a vented gas cap.  I think these are usually equipped with the emissions stuff like CA models.  I don't know whether Canadian or European bikes have vented caps or not.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #23 - 10/04/07 at 14:01:51

Mine gos Ka Put

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
YeppRe: Shutting down the engine.....Sounds?
Reply #24 - 10/04/07 at 15:25:40

Yepp mine too sometimes goes whuff-POW  or wuff-wuff. Kind of get a kick out of it when they all duck for cover and I'm just screaming "Faulse alarm, just my bike farting" Grin Grin

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #25 - 10/04/07 at 23:30:04

I don't know after reading all this if my bike is ok or not Undecided

Hopefully!!

But I seem to notice it more on days that I dont ride,(if I've been busy and havent started it in a day or two),just starting it,letting it run a few minutes and shutting it off.(To make sure it will start since I had the battery problem one time.)

That's when I notice the clunk sound moreso.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #26 - 10/05/07 at 05:46:15

And, of course if you want some more interesting reading on potentially destructive shutdown sounds, search for "backlash" and set the wayback meter for something like "9999".

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #27 - 10/05/07 at 09:21:49

Thanks Rob....didnt have a good idea what to search for on this Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 10/05/07 at 10:00:36

I wonder how many potential buyers are lurking and reading all this?

Bet they won't buy a Savage now Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #29 - 10/05/07 at 10:13:51

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I wonder how many potential buyers are lurking and reading all this?

Bet they won't buy a Savage now Grin

Their loss.

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 19:30:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shutting down the engine.....Sounds?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.