Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Chain Conversion thoughts ! (Read 33 times)
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Re: Chain Conversion thoughts !
Reply #15 - 10/05/07 at 12:31:48

I too am considering the chain conversion, for the following reasons:

1. When I'm on the freeway going about 75 ( and not liking it ) I sometimes pull in the clutch, wait a few seconds for the engine to de-rev and guess what - the bike glides along just like my old fat tire Schwinn bicycle....well sort of.

2. I like taking off in 2nd gear, maybe half way between 1st and 2nd would work too.

3. I too,  many times, am looking for a 6th gear.

4. The belt squeaks. No matter what I do, and I have done a plenty, It still squeaks arggggggggggg !

5. With all the mods done the bike has so much  more power it seems wasted on low gearing.

IP Logged
Aviler

American Rebel
Dragon Pirate

McPherson, KS
Reply #16 - 10/05/07 at 12:43:24

The issue of the incorrect speedometer/mileage could be compensated for with a properly calibrated Sigma bike computer, correct?

'96 maroon, 1.625
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 10/05/07 at 12:47:22

Can you still use belt guard  with chain?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 10/05/07 at 12:54:01

Aviler wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
The issue of the incorrect speedometer/mileage could be compensated for with a properly calibrated Sigma bike computer, correct?

Yes.  That's usually functioning with a magnet on the front wheel somewhere.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #19 - 10/05/07 at 13:24:56

... and once you've gone to the Sigma speedometer on the handlebar there is no need for that huge cavity in the gas tank.  This winter's project is to take my $20 tank and cut it up and rebuild it two inches taller and without the speedometer cavity -- gotta be worth two gallons!

WWW   IP Logged
Aviler

American Rebel
Dragon Pirate

McPherson, KS
Reply #20 - 10/05/07 at 14:10:42

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
... and once you've gone to the Sigma speedometer on the handlebar there is no need for that huge cavity in the gas tank.  This winter's project is to take my $20 tank and cut it up and rebuild it two inches taller and without the speedometer cavity -- gotta be worth two gallons!

Bah! Who needs two more gallons. I'm going to turn mine into a cup holder Smiley

Well, maybe not.

If/when I get around to/get finances for doing stuff to my Savage, the Sigma is definitely on my list. Converting that cavity might be an idea, but I'd have to enlist help on it. Still trying to make a decision on the chain drive idea. I like the benefits that have been mentioned, but I'm still kind of leery about it. I've got time to ponder it, though.

Thank you all for your input into this thread.

'96 maroon, 1.625
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #21 - 10/05/07 at 15:28:19

Aviler wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Bah! Who needs two more gallons. I'm going to turn mine into a cup holder Smiley

???  That's a great Idea!  Really!  One of the things I was having to do on my trip was stop to hydrate.  I couldn't figure out how to wedge a cup/bottle on the handlebars.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 10/05/07 at 15:39:24

Sooner or later I'm going to bolt on a bicycle water bottle holder.  I saw one motorcycle specific one, and that's what it was. $30 bucks for a bike bottle holder.  What do they think?  We got HD's or something?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Aviler

American Rebel
Dragon Pirate

McPherson, KS
Reply #23 - 10/05/07 at 15:42:24

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
???  That's a great Idea!  Really!  One of the things I was having to do on my trip was stop to hydrate.  I couldn't figure out how to wedge a cup/bottle on the handlebars.

Yeah, Savages are kind of lacking in necessities such as cup/bottle holders Smiley

I can't take credit for that idea, though. I've seen it somewhere on this forum prior to this.

'96 maroon, 1.625
WWW   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #24 - 10/05/07 at 16:59:35

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Sooner or later I'm going to bolt on a bicycle water bottle holder.  I saw one motorcycle specific one, and that's what it was. $30 bucks for a bike bottle holder.  What do they think?  We got HD's or something?   Grin

I wondered why all MC stuff is so high....do we need to send them all emails enlightening them on the fact that we're not rich,but that we know they are  Grin

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #25 - 10/05/07 at 17:29:05

Quote:
Yeah, Savages are kind of lacking in necessities such as cup/bottle holders Smiley

If you take the speedo out of the tank you can insert a molded cup holder down inside...it works quite well.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #26 - 10/06/07 at 05:35:21

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I always do mine more often than required and use full synthetic but it would seem that the engine still gets the same number of rotations for the number of indicated miles as it did prior to the conversion, so oil changes could still be done using indicated mileage.  I guess it has a little more grunt to do on starts but, as you stated, it has so much torque it makes little difference on that count.  Am I missing something else?
Rob, the mph is off and likewise the odometer is off, indicating fewer miles than what are actually put on. They both run off the transmission. If the speedo ran off the front or rear tire, like the older bikes used to it would still be correct. In my case with the 15% change in gear ratio, I change my oil at 1800 miles indicated, because when you add 15%, you get 2070 actual. If you put 2000 indicated miles on you actualy went 2300 miles. It might not seem that much more, but I like to play it safe, as it seems you do with early oil changes. I hope this cleared up what I was trying to say. I probably should have explained why in the first post. Sorry!!!   Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
metri

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #27 - 10/06/07 at 13:13:37

I'm late to the thread as always, but I do love to add my 2 cents Cheesy

I do like the chain conversion and am not sorry I did it. I also run the 17/43 at the moment. It's great on the highway. I have 18" ape hangers so my bike isn't exactly streamlined, but it looks cool (IMHO). I installed a nice sigma backlit speedo and it workded great. WOT in 5th I got up to 147.99km/h. Stupid .99, but still not too bad considering the aeirodymics and it will do 125km/h all day and it doesn't sound like it's going to explode. In the city however I have a few more issues with this gearing. I like to drive 60km/h in town or often have to, and that's fairly high rev's in 2nd, but it's just too low in 3rd. I find I'm constantly switching between 2nd and 3rd when following someone or doing 70km/h just so I can be confortably in 3rd. I'm going to drop the front to a 16 for a bit, because I do most driving in town right now, and to see the difference. It's AWESOME to be able to switch it up like that, and it was such a great cheap conversion.

Speedo... I hate taking off the sigma speedo at every stop and didn't really like the look of the wire going to the front wheel. ( I have no wires to handlebars, no turn signals etc.). While out I didn't take it off and someone stole the little gadget and made the decision to take off the speedo very easy.

I had taken to using the speedo hole in the tank as a drink holder, and had much success carrying plastic bottles. I then thought, why not put my tall can of beer in the hole on the way to poker.... I got sprayed with beer about halfway to the game when the can ruptured. I was very suprised, covered in beer and it cooked onto my engine. Note to self, don't put can's in a hole with somewhat sharp edges!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #28 - 10/06/07 at 13:22:57

You can get bike speedos that are wireless now at . $20 walmart

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #29 - 10/06/07 at 13:31:05

Metri
You are absolute right when you say second gear is to low and theard is to high, the problem is that its a to big gap betwen this two gears to be good in town, and on very small and curvy roads, thats the reason I changed to 16 at front, I did try the 17/43 for a few days but 16/43 suit me better.
I guess you will find that better as well.
Even if I liked the 17/43 on the highway.
Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:31:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chain Conversion thoughts !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.