Send Topic Print
Clutch cable stretch? (Read 8 times)
bennyc
YaBB Newbies

PA
Clutch cable stretch?
10/03/07 at 11:07:38

Hi all,

I am new here. Just purchased an 07 S40 (first bike) and loving it so far!

One question-when I got the bike brand new from the dealer and I took it out for the first spin, It seemed that the clutch cable loosened a bit. The clutch lever seemd too loose and it was pulling in first gear with the clutch fully in. I tightened it up a little then went out again. OK for a while then it seemed to happen again.

1.) is this normal?
2.) How tight do I make the cable-I don't want to overtighten. What is the proper amount of  free play?

Thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Clutch cable stretch?
Reply #1 - 10/03/07 at 11:32:05

You should have about 1/8" of free play at the lever.  More is ok.

Also, it's quite common that we have trouble getting into 1st.  When shifting, apply a little pressure on the shifter, not enough to force it but enough that if you pull in the clutch it will pop into the next gear.

do a search on either clutchless shifting or stuck in gear for more.

welcome to the club   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/03/07 at 11:43:34

My clutch lever is really sloppy. I like it that way. It disengages fine. I saw a guy literally stompin his shifter at a stoplight. All he needed to do was let the clutch out & spin the clutch a bit. The things will line up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 10/03/07 at 19:03:24

After adjusting, make sure the lock nuts or knurled ......aaaa ..... locking thing .....are tighten again.  The vibration and the  moving of the cable can loosen them up and loosen the cable again.

Also, stretch only happens for so long.   As the wires in the cable get seated tight together it stops.  The wire manufacturer can only make them so tight.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 10/04/07 at 07:11:58

bennyc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Hi all,

I am new here. Just purchased an 07 S40 (first bike) and loving it so far!

One question-when I got the bike brand new from the dealer and I took it out for the first spin, It seemed that the clutch cable loosened a bit. The clutch lever seemd too loose and it was pulling in first gear with the clutch fully in. I tightened it up a little then went out again. OK for a while then it seemed to happen again.

1.) is this normal?
2.) How tight do I make the cable-I don't want to overtighten. What is the proper amount of  free play?

Thanks.

If this bike is new, then you probably have a MOM.  You will find that info in there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 09:28:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch cable stretch?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.