Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Peg Scraping (Read 11 times)
DanGill

Peg Scraping
10/03/07 at 06:13:29

I discovered yesterday that when you scrape the pegs (at least the right one), it hits on the end rather than the bottom. It was more like the peg jamming into the asphalt than a scrape.

I was taking a right-hander that's not quite 90 degrees at speed, probably about 35 mph. The road is smooth there, but I think there's a little bit of a dip, and that's how I managed to jam the peg down. I don't know if I reacted and straightened the bike up or if it bounced up when I hit the peg, but I found myself over the centerline very quickly. I made sure there was nobody coming before attempting the corner at that speed.

So I'm finding the bike's limits. I really don't want to find it again that way. It was rather disconcerting.  Shocked

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Peg Scraping
Reply #1 - 10/03/07 at 06:27:05

A good place to find out about what happens when you push the limits is a big empty parking lot.
A better place is an MSF Advanced class.  I dragged mine quite a few times during class, as I was there to push it a bit.. and to get advice on how to handle it so I could do better in a "situation".

Scraping pegs is ok.. as long as you know when it is likely to happen and what the bike does when it does happen.
The pegs have a bit of flex and will bend up some, so that gives you a little bit of room.

IF you were in a dip, it is possible that you actually jammed it instead of it bending up a bit..

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #2 - 10/03/07 at 07:07:30

As you have found out, pegs are "hard parts." When they start dragging, undesirable results occur.

What youzguyz said is good advice. Start by practicing in a smooth parking lot. I also took an MSF advanced class with the Savage and was dragging pegs all the way around the corners. The instructor had me demonstrating how tight a corner could be taken before the MC starts sliding on the hard parts, and how you could take the same line through the curve at the same speed without dragging hard parts by shifting your weight. Racers do this all the time, at much much faster speeds of course.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #3 - 10/03/07 at 07:52:05

DanGill wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I was taking a right-hander that's not quite 90 degrees at speed, probably about 35 mph.

Geez, this is a cruiser not a sport bike. Turning right at 35 mph is rather too fast  Shocked You have big juevos.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #4 - 10/03/07 at 07:56:40

Good advice, Youzguyz. An MSF advanced course is in my future, certainly.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/03/07 at 08:56:47

There are some corners I like to play with. One in particular is challenging, as it goes slightly off camber in the exit. I noticed I was dragging the left peg & the max speed out was usually 45 ish. On the best run thru that corner I exited at 50 & didnt drag anything. Lean angles arent the be all end all of making a quick run thru a turn I have found. I wish I could run thru like that every time, but I cant even reproduce it. All I know is that it is possible,so, what I am saying is, have fun, work up to speeds slowly in turns, dont hit a turn at challenge speeds unless you are certain there are no hazards waiting on you, IE Rocks, OIl or something spilled, sand, gravell. If you rode thru 2 hours ago, it may be dangerous now,
One of the fun aspects of this bike, for me, is that it isnt the most capable bike around, & I am not some great rider, so, I am nearing the bike's handling capabilities at the same time I approach my riding capacities, I think its great fun.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 10/03/07 at 10:42:23

All that I can say is "Good job!"  Personally, I've always wished that I could see the sparks at night.

Ain't it great?

IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #7 - 10/03/07 at 13:08:12

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
All that I can say is "Good job!"  Personally, I've always wished that I could see the sparks at night.

Ain't it great?

This wasn't great for me, because it wasn't just scraping. It was a jolt and scared the heck out of me.

I love cornering at speed. I just don't like being vaulted into the oncoming lane. That can get fatal very quickly. And in all honesty, it may have been my reaction that took me into the oncoing lane.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #8 - 10/04/07 at 05:37:41

Sounds like you were real close to doing a pinwheel on the peg. Not a pretty maneuver, when done as I have only once, on a borrowed 60s Honda 160cc Dream.

Who would have guessed that with such a spongy and low suspension that the pegs were solid mounted and had no spring loaded fold back built into them? When the solid peg hit the ground, the tires lifted, and the little bike went right into opposing traffic in the other lane sliding along on the foot peg. Fortunately, my butt got much better traction, and I was just left sitting in the middle of the road in my lane! Still lucky some dang fool didn't come around the corner and run over me before I could get up and dust off though.

The Honda wasn't so lucky. It got wedged under a bumper, and the car had to back off of it. It was pretty well screwed after that. Good news, the guy I borrowed it from only had about $100 in the bike in the 70s. One cycling lesson learned... kind of cheap. Better to spend money than get hurt.

When I started riding a Norton, someone more experienced than myself showed me how to feel for the pavement with my boot, so the ground approaching my pegs wouldn't surprise me! Real handy trick if you insist on going around corners fast.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 10/04/07 at 06:55:33

DanGill wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
This wasn't great for me, because it wasn't just scraping. It was a jolt and scared the heck out of me.

I love cornering at speed. I just don't like being vaulted into the oncoming lane. That can get fatal very quickly. And in all honesty, it may have been my reaction that took me into the oncoing lane.

Aw come on.  You're a big bad biker now.  You don't get scared Grin

Either that or slow down.  What can I say?

IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #10 - 10/04/07 at 07:57:04

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Aw come on.  You're a big bad biker now.  You don't get scared Grin

Right. I just get excited. It's all that time in the hospital that's boring.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 10/04/07 at 08:03:00

You have choices...scrape pegs, slow down, buy a crotch rocket or quit riding.  What ya gonna do?

I have flats on both of my aftermarket pegs.  Kinda hard to ride the Dragon's Tail without getting them.  I just think of them as curb feelers Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 07:36:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Peg Scraping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.