Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: How's Your Fork Oil?
Reply #15 - 10/04/07 at 07:01:45

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Who ??? What ??? Where???
Remind me again which one of those "zillion" pieces was the bushing?

How did you get your forks apart?  Can you post the picture of the zillion parts that you have?  I can't find your link to BikePics...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 10/04/07 at 07:09:05

I should probably change mine sometime soon.  I'm pretty sure it's probably the original fork oil.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 10/04/07 at 07:58:23

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I should probably change mine sometime soon.  I'm pretty sure it's probably the original fork oil.

It made a real difference on Julie's bike.  Just compressing the forks in the garage in a before "before and after" test showed a difference.  There was sort of a "click" (one that you feel) before I changed the oil.  I think that comes from one fork moving differently than the other.  The compression is smooth now with no "sound".

She said that it felt better after she rode it, but I can't tell if that was just a psychological thing or not Tongue

I put mine back on last night...

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/04/07 at 10:56:19

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 11:36:23 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 10/04/07 at 10:58:03

Mine make no sound, compress normally and don't leak... but the bike is a 98 and I doubt the original owner changed it.  I've never changed fork oil before but it doesn't seem that difficult.  I'll just have to manage to carve out a half-day on a weekend sometime and get it done.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 10/04/07 at 13:11:54

I dont think you need to take out spacer tube and spring s just  let the oil drain I have many times wihen they had the bolt on the side. Also never compressed the forks all the oil went right in.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #21 - 10/04/07 at 22:40:43

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
How did you get your forks apart?  Can you post the picture of the zillion parts that you have?  I can't find your link to BikePics...

Here it is:

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 10/04/07 at 22:49:41

IW, your use & inclusion of cookware in your project pics has made it so much easier for me to gain permission to use the cookware in the garage. Thanxalott!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #23 - 10/05/07 at 02:50:29

When I changed fork oil in KLX I used one of these to set the oil level as per book.

Since took another 20mm out.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 10/05/07 at 09:33:59

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:

Yes.  That's the one...

Right there in the middle are your fork tubes with the sliders on the right.  I think that I see the dust covers and seals also.  On the end of the tubes are the bushings and to get them out you usually have to "slide hammer" the sliders in a vise.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 10/05/07 at 09:39:39

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
IW, your use & inclusion of cookware in your project pics has made it so much easier for me to gain permission to use the cookware in the garage. Thanxalott!

I cautiously use the approach of "it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission" Tongue

I have an old dutch oven and a couple cake pans in the garage.  

This usually works in the long run since it provides her with the excuse to buy new ones anyway.  

Sometimes, this kind of co-dependency really works well Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 10/05/07 at 09:51:19

Dr_Jim wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
BTW -

It is possible to drain the front forks on the bike ...

There's an 8mm hex bolt at the bottom of the fork, but it's underneath the front axle, so the front wheel and axle have to be removed first.

Since I'd already jacked up the bike and pulled the wheel off to fit a Kenda 761 tire, I decided to drop the 8mm bolts and see what happened.

I attacked the right fork first with my trusty 8mm Tee-wrench - the bolt was torqued fairly well, and took some grunt to loosen, but it unthreaded easily once I'd broken it free.

Glorp! out poured a bunch of really nasty-looking fork oil, looks like you can drain these forks after all....

The left side turned out to be somewhat more of a problem, since the piece that the 8mm hex bolt was threaded into kept turning inside the fork, and the 8mm impact driver bit I had was too wide to fit into the fork, and it's hex part too short reach up inside.

No problem, time for "Instant Bubba Wrench... Using only  hand tools commonly found in any workshop, you too can easily create a little piece of Arkansas in the privacy of your own garage!"

I used a 3' long aluminum pipe as a cheater bar on the 8mm Tee-handle wrench, and then as Wife Katherine dubiously held the wrench and cheater in place, wailed on it with a 2 Lb top-maul - "Whap! Whap! Whappity-WHAP! Ting!"

"What did you break, Honey?"

"The bolt free, Darling. Sorry to disappoint you ..."

The left fork drained as well as the right one, so I now had two empty forks to refill - removed the upper fork caps, and discovered that with low risers you have to unbolt the handle bars and move them back an inch or two to get the spacer tubes and springs out.

I followed the Clymer's instructions to "fully compress the forks before filling," but could not get more than about 200ml of oil in before the fork overflowed.

Mutter, mutter, mutter

Removed most of the excess oil with a Turkey Baster, then filled the forks the 'old school' way by putting in about two baster fulls (roughly 110 ml) in each side and working the forks up and down until the oil migrated into the lower part of the fork - it took 4 repetitions until the forks felt right, so I'm assuming that they have enough oil.

Yes, on a normal bike it's probably about as easy to just pull the forks off, but since I've got a steering damper, a fork brace, and a windshield (which was a total PITA to install) to fuss with, this seemed to be a little easier.

Cheers

Jim

Cheers Jim,

I'm somewhat curious here.  I understand that with this method, that you used the fork springs to hold the slider in order to remove the 8 MM bolt.  That also allows you to drain the oil.

You used a bunch of short cuts to avoid a more complex job.  Got that.

I also understand the interference with the risers/handlebars because I have buckhorns.  I just placed a mat on the tank and laid the bars back out of the way after removing the clamps.

But the manual states 441 ml in each fork and 75 mm from the top (with the tube compressed).  Are you really content with  only putting 1/2 the suggested oil in each fork?

BTW - I've decided that when I decide to replace seals or bushings and have the forks completely apart, that a nicely placed tapped hole in the bottom of the slider would be really nice.  Then it will be like most of the older bikes that I work on anyway.

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 10/05/07 at 10:39:24

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 11:35:50 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 10/05/07 at 10:48:22

Ah...the "turkey baster" has a changed...things are never as simple as they appear.  Especially when there's drinkin' and thinkin' going on Tongue

BTW - those "Bubba" brand tools are the best.

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 10/05/07 at 11:08:20

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 11:32:21 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:20:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How's Your Fork Oil?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.