Send Topic Print
Newb here (Read 3 times)
Moonshiner
YaBB Newbies

FSO

Charleston, SC
Newb here
10/01/07 at 15:06:12

My brother and I just picked up some 2007 s40's for a great deal. They're both our first street bikes and I must say are a lot of fun! I already put about 200 miles on it in like 3 days. Is it normal for there to be a vibration on the right side foot rest at like 55mph in 5th gear? I read the manual and I know not to go any faster than that for a few thousand miles, but I got it up to that today and the right foot rest was vibrating like crazy. Maybe I just need some boots, but any input would be great.  Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Newb here
Reply #1 - 10/01/07 at 15:12:42

The vibes come and go.  If you keep your foot on the rubber, it's hardly noticable.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 10/01/07 at 15:12:48

First street bikes?  You're dirt riders?

The Savage is a single.  It has a extremely good counterbalancer that eleminates nearly all the vibrations.  Some still exists, but compared with the old Brit thumpers it ain't nothing.  You MAY have excessive vibration, but I doubt it.  Only way to know for sure is to let one of us ride your bike so we can compare to our own.

WWW   IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #3 - 10/01/07 at 15:37:51

I have an '06 and I have the same tingling like vibration only on the right side at about that speed. I've gotten used to it after 5000 miles or else it has settled down a little. Welcome to the Savage world. This my first bike after almost 30 years. It's a blast to ride and tinker with. I get my 'therapy' out in the garage now instead on the couch!!! Enjoy!!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 10/01/07 at 15:43:09

Does your brothers vibrate the same if it does thats the way they are.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #5 - 10/01/07 at 16:21:15

mine does it too and it's an 87.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #6 - 10/01/07 at 17:47:46

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
The vibes come and go.  If you keep your foot on the rubber, it's hardly noticable.

You won't notice anything after awhile cause your foot will be numb.Matter of fact your whole body might go numb. Tells you it's alive Grin Smiley

seriously my '07 got smoother after awhile and especially after I rejetted etc. Also try a slighly slower or faster speed. Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Moonshiner
YaBB Newbies

FSO

Charleston, SC
Reply #7 - 10/02/07 at 04:07:00

I don't know if my brother's does it, because he hasnt hardly riddin it. He's just been around the neighborhood and I took it to the gas station for him. I'll see if he'll let me take his out again  Grin . We used ride dirt bikes on trails behind our old house. I figured the vibration was normal and I would just let my foot go numb or get used to it. Thanks for the input guys.

IP Logged
NW-SAV
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/02/07 at 11:06:02

I experienced the same thing with my 07, it would almost make my right foot fall asleep.
the 2 long motor mount bolts that run through both foot pegs, I tightned those down as tight as they would go and there is zero vibration in the peg now

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #9 - 10/02/07 at 11:11:32

NW-SAV wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I experienced the same thing with my 07, it would almost make my right foot fall asleep.
the 2 long motor mount bolts that run through both foot pegs, I tightned those down as tight as they would go and there is zero vibration in the peg now

"as tight as they would go" is about right.  The torque spec says:
Engine mounting No. 3 bolts and nuts 70.0 - 88.0 n-m (51.6 - 64.9 ft-lb)

I was a bit surprised at how much "oomph" that was when I torqued them down to spec.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Moonshiner
YaBB Newbies

FSO

Charleston, SC
Reply #10 - 10/03/07 at 18:10:31

I will try tightening those bolts down. Thanks guys. It's been raining here and will be for a couple more days, so no ridin for while. Might as well tinker with her  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 10/04/07 at 23:06:39

Those are "just right tight" using an IR 1/2" impact with a deep socket & extension to soak up a bit of the torque, just a couple of quick Braaap Braaap after it runs up snug & it's done. If you are gonna be doing your own work, a compressor for $150.00 & a used impact from a pawn shop will save so much time & hassle you will never regret the $$$. I didnt need to hold the clutch basket with anything going back together after the cam chain, because I culd just give the impact short squeezes & it ran it up for me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #12 - 10/05/07 at 05:11:11

I like the way an impact wrench takes off stuborn parts.  When I did my oil leak I ran the phillips screws holding the compression release thingie were not to be budged by hand.  1/2" impact wrench > 3/8" adapter > 1/4" adapter > hex holder > #2 phillips bit = job done.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:37:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newb here

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.