Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Cam Chain Adjuster check (Read 10868 times)
CogAtomic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Cam Chain Adjuster check
Reply #45 - 10/08/20 at 07:12:31

Well I got it opened up easily. At 6000 miles on my 2001 savage (5000 miles are my own) I was actually surprised how far it was extended. Go figure. I'd anticipated putting it back together and riding another week or two, but at this rate I'm glad I checked. Seems like there's no real gushing of when they go too far with these. (I do take lots of short.trips) .... Relieved and sending part to CA today.. glad it's getting cold here in PA)

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #46 - 10/09/20 at 13:27:31

How far out was it? Useful information for us all

Hiko   IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #47 - 10/09/20 at 16:03:59

I found the cam chain tensioner to be 15mm out after 17k kilometres and ordered a Versey CCT, however after another 17k kms it barely moved any more. I put the Versey in anyway but still on the first hole, and after 42k kms, it's still on the first hole.

It appears that there is great variability as to how much trouble people have with this, but in my experience it came out fairly quickly then sort of settled down. But it's not something you want to take a chance with I guess.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
CogAtomic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 10/09/20 at 17:19:35

Hiko wrote on 10/09/20 at 13:27:31:

I measured it at 14mm. Not quite there but Ive known for awhile about needing to look at it, and prefer to stay ahead of future issues

IMG_6420.jpeg
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #49 - 10/09/20 at 17:42:31

Drag Bike Mike looked at the chain tensioner arm by compairing a new one with a old one and the arm bending lets the plunger extend the same as chain wear. I think the cam chain would be good for 100,000+ miles like on a LOT of other bikes IF we could work out the arm bending ( losing it's bend actually ), and the catch on the plunger.
I am trying my idea, but will wait to post it till I get 40 or 50 thousand on it.

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #50 - 10/09/20 at 18:22:17

CogAtomic wrote on 10/09/20 at 17:19:35:
Hiko wrote on 10/09/20 at 13:27:31:

I measured it at 14mm. Not quite there but Ive known for awhile about needing to look at it, and prefer to stay ahead of future issues

Mine was out 14mm at 9500 km like you I modded it for peace of mind

Hiko   IP Logged
CogAtomic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 10/09/20 at 18:44:39

The same distance, at close to the same distance. I wonder why so much variance in mileage as to when it finally falls apart. That's cool you caught it too and fixed. I've been liking the Savage so much I hated the thought of losing it to a defect that's so well known. This site is great for getting the word out, otherwise this particular part self destructing in the case would never have occurred to me. I suppose people don't know though, the previous owner didn't know anything about it

IP Logged
CogAtomic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #52 - 11/02/20 at 20:01:12

I now tentatively have the new/recycled Verslavy installed. Thanks Verslaven. I want to be sure I clear on something, when its situated and bolted in using the first hole, and I finally pull the zip tie, it adjusts itself where the plunger isn't quite as far out as was originally (14mm) but close to that. At that point everything feels stable and solid

But, if I change to the 2nd hole, and then pull the zip tie again, to let it adjust itself into place, the plunger ends up way more compressed, probably close to as far in as it goes.

So, is using the first hole, and having the plunger farther out, an issue? I wouldn't think so, it does its work on the chain and seems okay, and the verslavy is made to not fall apart like the OEM one eventually does. But Im not entirely sure, when I look at pics of the new install here on the forum, the verslavy always looks to me to be almost completely compressed on other people's posts. So I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I hope this makes sense. The picture here shows almost exactly what mine now looks like, as opposed to completely compressed. But reinstalling it from the second hole will result in a more compressed plunger, is that preferable? Hope what I'm wondering here makes sense. I'm probably overthinking this Thanks

IMG_6036.jpeg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #53 - 11/03/20 at 08:10:01

at 14mm, using the second hole is premature and as you've noted fully compresses the spring putting the highest tension on the chain.
While it's probably within design limits, less tension is advisable.
I would use the 1st hole (original) for less tension.
You have at least 6x1000 miles for max wear before you go to the next hole.

WWW   IP Logged
CogAtomic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 11/05/20 at 02:48:03

verslagen1 wrote on 11/03/20 at 08:10:01:
at 14mm, using the second hole is premature and as you've noted fully compresses the spring putting the highest tension on the chain.
While it's probably within design limits, less tension is advisable.
I would use the 1st hole (original) for less tension.
You have at least 6x1000 miles for max wear before you go to the next hole.

Okay cool. That makes sense to me and clarifies it. Thanks Verslagen Smiley

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #55 - 11/11/20 at 12:08:12

Not only that but the whole point of the pin is so that even if the timing chain gets a bit loose there will not be a catastrophic failure. You will probably find that the chain stretches slower as it gets older. So you can listen for any sounds that indicate the chain might be getting loose, without needing to worry. The original adjuster should have been pinned at the factory, although that would make it a bit more difficult to tell when you were at the chain wear limit.

Without the pin if the CTT comes out it's very clear that you've reached the limit because you'll be sliding down the road with terrible clunking noises and grinding metallic sounds coming from the crankcase. But with the pin there will only be a bit of extra clicking noises this can be more difficult to diagnose and may necessitate removing the side cover to check.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
CogAtomic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #56 - 11/11/20 at 12:36:15

Thanks. when you put it that way it confirms to my thinking, why I installed the Verslavy, I didn't like possibly not knowing for one how far along that plunger was. And two, the question of when, not if, it would self destruct. The previous owner knew nothing about it being an issue, so I knew it hadn't been replaced, but No idea how far along it was.  Compare cost of the verslavy mod, a little time, and a couple additions to my tool collection, versus the cost for a replacement engine or new bike... I'd rather deal with the former. Having it pinned in so it doesn't separate, plus adding the ability to accommodate chain wear feel like what Suzuki shouldhave done long ago.  But since they burned out on fixing their own defect, thankfully we have the Verslavy. And Verslagen able (and willing) to keep up with demand for the Verslavy. An excellent fix with great documentation,and support basically, here on this forum.

IP Logged
JED
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #57 - 09/20/21 at 20:28:36

When installing the cam chain tensioner, does that 10mm bolt need any thread lock or anything else to prevent it from vibrating out?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #58 - 09/21/21 at 04:11:50

JED wrote on 09/20/21 at 20:28:36:
When installing the cam chain tensioner, does that 10mm bolt need any thread lock or anything else to prevent it from vibrating out?

I've never used it.

WWW   IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #59 - 09/22/21 at 22:05:42

Now that you have thought about it In the interests of peace of mind you should.

Hiko   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 01:09:02

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Cam Chain Adjuster check

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.