Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How long should I soak carb parts? (Read 10 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
How long should I soak carb parts?
09/29/07 at 23:50:07

I purchased carb cleaning liquid called Gunk. It comes with a bucket , lid, and basket to put parts in.
How long do I need to soak the parts?
Can I soak the diaphragm, or can I only wipe it down?
I'm going to start tomorrow (Sunday) but I'm just thinking ahead.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: How long should I soak carb parts?
Reply #1 - 09/30/07 at 00:48:34

IW....Sorry,don't know about the carbs but I found Fork Covers online somewhere and thought I'd mention this to you....maybe protect your forks so you dont need to do the seals again as soon due to your location Smiley

You could ask the guys if this would help with that(my reason for putting this info here Smiley

They are nice looking,black,but don't know if they are the solution or not for that problem.

Maybe the guys will give more info along with the carb info  Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #2 - 09/30/07 at 06:39:07

i normally soak my carbs overnight, but i have never used the gunk. i also take out all the rubber parts as some carb cleaners are very destructive on rubber parts. make sure you rotate the carb after it is in the cleaner so you get all of the air out of it.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 09/30/07 at 07:19:56

Do not soak any rubber parts in the carb cleaner.  They will become useless.  I have always soaked my parts overnight.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #4 - 09/30/07 at 07:37:02

soak time depends upon how dirty the parts are, really nasty will go over night, just dirty will go a couple hours. after soaking, i wash all parts thoroughly with fresh water, then blow out every hole, every orifice, every part, with compressed air. typically no rubber or plastic in the carb cleaner.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 09/30/07 at 09:16:12

I hate the autozone stuff that comes in a can with a small parts basket inside. It stinks  and it damages all the rubber parts.
I'd rather use a spray.
If You want a good stuff, go and buy  YAMAHA carb. cleaner. It is expensive, but it works excellent. This stuff doesn't damage rubber parts . You can soak the parts for hours if You want, but usualy 1/2 hour is more than enough.
While waiting for the parts to soak, You can change the oil and service the air filter, check the tire pressure , and lube the pivot points.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 09/30/07 at 09:25:25

did you try carb cleaner in the gas first?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 09/30/07 at 09:58:55

Max asks if there are directions on the can? Otherwise usually 30 minutes for the metal only parts. No plastic or rubber. Use some HD kitchen cleaning cloves to protect your skin and hands unless you have some real ugly HD rubber ones. Wear safety glasses as the solution is very strong and burns the skin and other delicate body parts rapidly. Rinse with hot water and blow dry, no air compressor, use the disharge side of a wet/dry vac, or get one of those cans of computer cleaning air.  Be sure not to have your kids nearby, but someone who can lead you to the shower if you do manage to get it in your eyes or on your face.  I'm surprised you could even buy it anymore. Seal the can as tightly as you can and don't be surprised if it has evaporated by the next time you need it. I've started using the aerosol NAPA non-clorinated stuff, use an old tuna can and spray some in the bottom with a shop towel over the top so I have a place to soak the jets and air bleeds, carefully clean all the passages and internal and external bits, again no plastic or rubber, and then pressure air dry. If a passage is plugged, take a strand out of a piece of stranded copper wire and use it to gently probe the passage. Don't break the wire off or jam whatever is in there even tighter. More soaking helps. "You can do it , we can help", just like home dept ads say.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #8 - 09/30/07 at 11:20:05

bill67 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
did you try carb cleaner in the gas first?

No I didn't, I wanted to replace the jets and pilot, seeing the previous owner might have damaged the pilot (the flathead thread is pretty shredded)

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #9 - 09/30/07 at 11:21:30

Thanks everyone, I'm about to start, if I need help 'll holler with capital letters!!
Wish me luck.  Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 09/30/07 at 20:52:38

I would want a can of el cheapo brake parts cleaner & some good stuff to flush it out with,, OHH Berrymans,, thats the good stuff. You can shoot with the plastic straw thru the passages & knock water out, flush with Berrymans so there wont be a haze from the cheapo crud,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:22:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How long should I soak carb parts?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.