Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
trans counter shaft make engine knock? (Read 6 times)
Pump_Jockey
YaBB Newbies

My Dad's got an
awesome set of
tools!

trans counter shaft make engine knock?
09/27/07 at 20:40:22

I've got a severe engine knock on a '98 that I just bought.  Digging into it, I've found that someone's been in the clutch and put the oil pump drive gear on bass ackwards.  It ground on the case and siezed up the counter shaft bearing on the transmission.  I assume that this is the culprit to the hella knock(lugging the motor, etc.).  Sound right?
Thanks!

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: trans counter shaft make engine knock?
Reply #1 - 09/27/07 at 22:26:56

So the engine will run with the clutch in, but it knocks? And the Oil pump is out of commission? I think you're looking at double trouble. IOW: Both the engine and trans are probably in bad shape. Only one way to know the full extent of damages. Pull the engine; crack the cases, and what you see is what you got.  Undecided

IP Logged
Pump_Jockey
YaBB Newbies

My Dad's got an
awesome set of
tools!

Reply #2 - 09/28/07 at 05:52:20

I've split the case looking for the knock, when I found the bearing issue.  The engine ran and drove (knocked and seemed shy on power). Everything seems okay inside other than the counter shaft bearing behind the clutch.  It got hot from the grindage.  I'm wondering if the bearing drag was lugging the engine so much to make it knock that bad... ignition or the counter balancer?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 09/28/07 at 09:04:50

The bearing most likely didn't seize from heat, it's bathed with oil.  I would bet it was particles that caused it to jam, by getting wedged into the bearing.

Is there damage to the case where the bearing fits or the the surface of the imtermediate shaft where is fits inthe bearing???

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pump_Jockey
YaBB Newbies

My Dad's got an
awesome set of
tools!

Reply #4 - 09/28/07 at 22:19:09

The case damage is on the outside of the case....clutch side.  My ultimate question is still, would the bearing drag make the engine knock?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 09/29/07 at 19:32:40

Good question.  I would at first say no, ........but if particles had got into bearing....... little ones at first,..... they may have caused a bump and that could sound like a knock.   But I think that might be hard to hear.  

Are they many particles smashed into the tranny gears?

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:32:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › trans counter shaft make engine knock?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.