Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Backfire after jet-kit. (Read 10 times)
mys40rox
Ex Member

Backfire after jet-kit.
09/27/07 at 19:30:55

Okay here is the Problem. I put on a Mac slip-on and Jetted the carb and now I have even worse backfire than before. Before the Jet kit was installed it only backfired when I turned off the bike. Since the install the my bike backfires on almost every shift and upon deceleration. I've taken it back to the shop that installed the jet kit and they said the backfire was from the muffler not being sealed correctly. I had them re-install muffler and still no luck they said there is nothing they can do? it makes no sense. I bought the muffler directly from Mac so I know it fits right. the pipe sounds awsome when its not backfiring.

please help, what can I do to fix this mess?

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: Backfire after jet-kit.
Reply #1 - 09/27/07 at 22:15:47

Warning: a lot of people don't like my solution. I got tired of fooling around with a leaking stock header and Dyna muffler, and reading dozens of posts about how to fix it. Then I just had them TIG welded together by my neighbor, who has a major weld shop. Problem solved. No more leaks. Just be really sure the pipes are together in the position you want them; because it takes a cutting wheel to separate them and do it over. (I got it right the first time).

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 09/28/07 at 00:06:06

Well it could be sucking air at the header pipe muffler joint - it can also suck air at the head/head pipe flange - might need a new crush gasket there - thay can look good and not work very well -

by the way what jet kit did you have installed?

IP Logged
mys40rox
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/29/07 at 09:15:58

I had a dynojet kit installed.
thanks for help.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 09/29/07 at 13:28:46

There are a lot of posts about the backfiring.
Usually the jet kits don't change anything about the pilot jet and usually the backfiring is caused by extreme lean condition in the idle cirquit. It can be caused by too much air/vacuum leak/, or by too little fuel /too small pilot jet/
Why don't You try one size up on the pilot jet ?
It is  a very cheap and easy try.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 10/01/07 at 06:35:15

The bike is lean to begin with and swapping the exhaust to a MAC makes it leaner.  Rejetting will give you a richer mix at the high end but you still need to do the half-spacer mod and tune the carb.  And, as stated above, any exhaust leaks can cause backfiring too.  First though, you need to do the half-spacer mod and tune the carb.  After that, if you still have the backfiring, replace the exhaust gaskets and tighten securely.  Don't over tighten and don't tighten when the engine is hot.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 10/02/07 at 08:58:39

But didn't earlier bikes (ie my 1986) come with bigger jets?  Therefore is it still necessary to swap jets when putting on a different muffler?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 10/03/07 at 08:18:26

toddlamp8 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
But didn't earlier bikes (ie my 1986) come with bigger jets?  Therefore is it still necessary to swap jets when putting on a different muffler?

They're not as lean to start off with but, when you change to a freer flowing muffler, they are leaner and should be rejetted.   In order to alleviate lean conditions in the midrange, the white spacer mod should still be done if that model doesn't have the adjustable needle.  If it has the adjustable needle, adjust that instead of shaving the spacer.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 10/03/07 at 08:26:42

Which models have the adjustable needles

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 10/03/07 at 10:02:28

I believe only the late 80's models had them and I don't know if all of them did or not.

toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 10/04/07 at 17:14:56

I am getting backfiring after the muffler install and i'm getting crap gas mileage.  Under what circumstances could a HD muffler richen the air/fuel mixture?  Could backfiring/flames out the muffler be caused by a rich condition?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 10/05/07 at 05:23:40

I am getting backfiring after the muffler install and i'm getting crap gas mileage.

Stop using crap gas.

Sorry, couldn't resist... Wink

Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 10/05/07 at 05:31:27

Under what circumstances could a HD muffler richen the air/fuel mixture?  Could backfiring/flames out the muffler be caused by a rich condition?

A rich condition is simply too much fuel or too little air in the fuel/air mixture.  Achieving a rich mixture where none previously existed with only a change of muffler would mean the new muffler is more restrictive.  This is usually not the case but it answers the question you asked.  As for backfiring from a rich condition, yes it can happen - though it's really post-ignition.  Heated unburned fuel can be ignited when it mixes with air in the exhaust, either via a leak in the exhaust allowing air to be sucked into the stream or nearer the opening of the exhaust.  More common with the LS650 (and when going from a stock muffler to a freer flowing one) is backfiring from a lean condition if the bike was not rejetted/retuned when the muffler was changed.  Exhaust leaks are also pesky.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:28:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfire after jet-kit.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.