Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
occasional grind when downshifting to first (Read 23 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
occasional grind when downshifting to first
09/26/07 at 16:53:42

Im pretty sure there's an easy answer to this, but I dont know it yet

Sometimes when I am downshifting into first the pedal will vibrate and give out a grind noise, something Ive heard on cars before but never on bikes.  What is it?  

and yes, clutch is in

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: occasional grind when downshifting to first
Reply #1 - 09/26/07 at 17:16:04

JMHO, but I think you are going to fast to shift into first gear. Apply the brakes for a moment, then downshift.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #2 - 09/26/07 at 17:18:19

Yep, if you are still going too fast your bike may protest a bit going into first.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #3 - 09/26/07 at 17:45:29

Usual...... first gear takes a while to spin down to stationary (because of the arge ratio difference) so the dogs can mesh quietly when clutch is pulled.  I have two approaches -
1) pull clutch and wait several seconds (3 or more) before shifting down from neutral - OR -
2) get the bike rolling by pedaling with your feet (or downhill roll) so mesh speeds on mainshaft / layshaft match up before engaging first.

Bike transmissions don't have the benefit of synchromesh cones that match the locking dog speeds on input / output shafts to ease gearshifts in autos.

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #4 - 09/26/07 at 20:17:16

so even if Im coasting to a stop and I want to downshift it early and hold the clutch the whole way, I should wait until its in the right range?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #5 - 09/26/07 at 20:49:46

YES!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/26/07 at 21:00:16

If you are in a hurry to downshift it to 1st, let the clutch out in neutral & give it a throttle blip, that will spin the tranny guts up to match the belt spinning the output shaft. Pull the clutch & downshift. IF you are wanting to let the clutch out, hold the engine rpm up high enough to not drag the rear wheel. Then roll throttle off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 09/28/07 at 00:37:01

Assuming you have a 5-speed; its second gear is only slightly higher than first on the older 4-speed. If you aren't a heavy weight, or starting uphill, you have the option of pulling away from a stop in second gear. It doesn't require much clutch slip, and probably little or no damage done to the clutch. Clutches are easier to replace than gears. Try it and see if it is has potential for you.

I can do it smoothly, without chattering the clutch, and a minimum of slippage, and I weigh in at 250+!  Like I said, it's not much different from taking off in first on my 4-speed 87. In fact, if the pavement is smooth, after slipping the clutch for 5-6 feet on the 87, I can dump the clutch; grab a big handful of throttle, and spin/smoke the tire across an asphalt intersection! What fun!!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/28/07 at 10:42:00

If I want to, I can run the bike down from 5th to first & never use the clutch & not lurch the bike around, but the wrist & toe timing between second & first is a trick, BUT, there's NO way I can spin the rear tire. All I can get is a wheelie.

What am I doing wrong John?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:28:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › occasional grind when downshifting to first

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.