Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What the... was THAT noise?! (Read 34 times)
jkhulon73
Ex Member

What the... was THAT noise?!
09/26/07 at 03:48:04

Man, I hardly slept last night. Was riding home last night and noticed a different vibration start up about halfway through the trip. About a mile from home I stopped and took out the earplugs- there's something rumbling pretty deep down in the engine, down in the bottom end. And the tapping was a LOT louder, too.  Tongue It ran though. Ran fine except for the horrible noise. Babied  it through the subdivision and parked it.

I've got a bad feeling something popped out of somewhere and went somewhere it shouldn't be...

I'll crack open the case in a couple of hours and see. I'm pretty tired right now.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Re: What the... was THAT noise?!
Reply #1 - 09/26/07 at 05:48:16

How many miles on your bike?

Then check the usual suspect - the tensioner and cam chain.  Tongue

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/26/07 at 07:00:07

According to the PO, the speedo was correct with 6,847. I rolled over 7,500 yesterday.

I've got a feeling the PO lied to me about the milage as well...

I may have to fire up one of those new, super-duper  cam chains after all.

I feel like Han Solo, running around, trying to prep the Falcon to leave Hoth... "I just got her back together!"

Yep, I'm a geek.

IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/26/07 at 09:33:32

Just a shade under 20mm of piston  Angry

If you look close at the top of it, you can see where the piston was rubbing on the cylinder...

Guess I'm stuck in the cage for a while...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 09/26/07 at 09:39:10

jkhulon73 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2007/09/26/bikepics-1036917-full.jpg

Just a shade under 20mm of piston  Angry

If you look close at the top of it, you can see where the piston was rubbing on the cylinder...

Guess I'm stuck in the cage for a while...

From this angle I can't see if the cylinder was beginning to distort or not.  It doesn't appear to be but I can't see for sure.  Either way, it's good it hasn't yet separated - but it is time to install the VerSlavy mod.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 09/26/07 at 09:53:26

I feel like Han Solo, running around, trying to prep the Falcon to leave Hoth... "I just got her back together!"

Yep, I'm a geek.

I know exactly how you feel.

"I'm trying to get us outa here and you tear this apart now? Put it back together."

"No no no, that one goes there, and that one goes there, right?"

"Okay, try it now." Smoke and sparks. "No no no SHUT IT OFF SHUT IT OFF!!"

I'm a geek too as you can tell from my signature line

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/26/07 at 10:13:24

I dont see the cam chain tensioner as anything to do with a niose like you describe. That one looks better than mine did when I openned it up to inspect.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/26/07 at 10:33:16

If you take off the adjuster, on the backside where the tensioner guide rubs against the aluminum housing you can see scratch marks if the adjuster was flopping up and down.  All the bad ones I've gotten have it.

Yes, that one still looks good.  The place to check is where the plunger rests on the housing in this extended position.  There can be some deep wear.

It's a subtile noise that alerts you to the problem.  If you're really in tune with your bike, it feels like a jack hammer.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/26/07 at 10:58:30

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
If you take off the adjuster, on the backside where the tensioner guide rubs against the aluminum housing you can see scratch marks if the adjuster was flopping up and down.  All the bad ones I've gotten have it.

Yes, that one still looks good.  The place to check is where the plunger rests on the housing in this extended position.  There can be some deep wear.

It's a subtile noise that alerts you to the problem.  If you're really in tune with your bike, it feels like a jack hammer.   Grin

I ride with plugs in all the time- my hearing may have been jacked up last night, but that vibration just about set my teeth on edge! I'll have to fool around with it tomorrow- right now, I'm late for work  Tongue

IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #9 - 09/26/07 at 13:48:00

While we are on the cam adjuster subject.......Can this be checked pretty easily by a 'not so gear head' or do I need somebody like Lancer or Justin-old-guy2? 05 S40.....7,000 miles.  Will search for a post

Thnaks

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/26/07 at 14:20:23

It's not hard to check.
You might need to replace the gaskets for the header or the clutch cover.  So having these on hand is a plus.
You need to drop the oil and filter.
Remove right footpeg mounting plate.
Remove the header and muffler.
Disengage the clutch cable.
Remove the clutch cover.
Eyeball the adjuster.
You need to do something if the plunger is out 18mm to the shoulder of the plunger.
Replace in reverse order.
Clutch cover gasket may need a little sealant around the oil path at the top of the cover.
If you got to go further, it's a lot more effort but not difficult.

WWW   IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/26/07 at 16:22:33

I look at it this way-

• I caught it before it became a REALLY bad problem
  • This is an opportunity for me to tweak the bike a bit.

I did run a magnet through the oil this morning- kinda of quick like, but there weren't any flakes or anything on it, soooo, I'm gonna order the cam chain over there in The Marketplace and use the next... month and a half... to really nail down the paint, refine the seat & tail-lights, and pretty much completely rewire the bike.

It's going to suck not having anything to ride, though.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 09/27/07 at 05:55:17

I did run a magnet through the oil this morning- kinda of quick like, but there weren't any flakes or anything on it

At least nothing ferrous anyway.  That's the only problem I have with my magnetic oil drain plug... much of the engine is non-ferrous.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/27/07 at 07:15:30

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
At least nothing ferrous anyway.  That's the only problem I have with my magnetic oil drain plug... much of the engine is non-ferrous.

I was going to run the oil through a coffee filter as well, but I'm not really in the mood to even go out in the garage this morning, much less spend an hour or so waiting for cold motor oil to drip through a piece of paper. I may just take some more pictures of the tensioner...

Migraines rawk Angry

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #14 - 09/27/07 at 07:59:38

I was going to run the oil through a coffee filter as well, but I'm not really in the mood to even go out in the garage this morning, much less spend an hour or so waiting for cold motor oil to drip through a piece of paper. I may just take some more pictures of the tensioner...

Migraines rawk Angry

Heat the oil up first and it will flow faster.
Make sure you use the "Significant Other's" absolute best pot to heat the oil.  Tongue

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:26:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What the... was THAT noise?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.