Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
resistance rolling in gear with clutch Fully pulld (Read 12 times)
metri

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ottawa, Ontario
resistance rolling in gear with clutch Fully pulld
09/24/07 at 18:57:15

I was riding today (showing a friend how to ride) and my clutch seems to not want to fully disengage. When in neutral, bike rolls like butter, but when in gear with clutch in, the bike rolls like the brake is on a bit. I adjusted the clutch cable to pull way past what was ever needed before, just to check, but that has no effect, still the resistance rolling.

A month ago or so, I replaced the plates and springs for the clutch.

Any ideas what Might be causing this? I would just look at the clutch, but since I need a gasket, I'd love to have an idea of what could cause something like this. Thanks again all

Brian

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: resistance rolling in gear with clutch Fully p
Reply #1 - 09/24/07 at 20:09:00

you have a gap at the lever?

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - 09/24/07 at 21:08:18

start the bike and warm it up. After that do the same test and see what will hapen.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
metri

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #3 - 09/25/07 at 05:44:33

The first thing I checked was the cable adjustment. I usualy have a gap at the lever, but when I noticed this problem I tightened up the lever to make sure it was fully engaging the clutch. I over tightened the lever to double check and it was still doing the same thing regardless how much "extra" the lever was pulled in.... Sad   The bike is driveable, but when stopped in gear with clutch in, some resistance can be felt (bike wants to move very slowly). I'm sure the problem is not the cable Sad  

Any other thoughts ? I don't mind fixing things, I just get worriend when I have no idea what to fix :S

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #4 - 09/25/07 at 05:52:34

When you changed the clutch plates and springs, did you also replace the clutch cable?

It sounds like cable stretch to me.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 09/25/07 at 06:15:40

If you have the proper gap at the lever and your real sure the full motion of the release is working - assume the order of the plates were correct , was the basket groved where the fingers go through - this can prevent a clean clutch pack seperation -

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #6 - 09/25/07 at 06:25:04

Metri,

From your description it seems obvious that the clutch plates either aren't fully disengaging, or there is something between the plates causing friction. Since this is a wet clutch I'd be betting on the first. So why aren't they disengaging.

As everyone is pointing the most likely culprit is the cable is not moving the clutch plates far enough. If you are absolutely sure that the cable is moving the plates far enough (check at the clutch not at the lever) - there should be a spec for how far the plates should move to be completely disengaged, then the problem has to be in the clutch itself. Don't have a manual anymore for a Savage but other manuals give this specification, so I'd expect to find it in the manual. Possibilities for problems in the clutch itself range from something assembled incorrectly (likely) to the wrong tolerance on a new part (unlikely).

Second possibility is that something is causing the plates to torque even with adequate clearance - oil that is too viscous or something physically between the plates that isn't being thrown out. If I didn't find something wrong with the throw, I'd change the oil and look for a problem.

Final thing to do is suck it up and take things back apart and start looking for a problem. Most likely a problem with improper assembly.  Shocked

Good luck! Keep us informed.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 09/25/07 at 07:12:19

Did you ever try pulling on the clutch cable with your right hand once you have pulled in clutch with left hand

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 09/25/07 at 07:22:04

idle speed up e nuff?? 1000> 1200 rpm

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #9 - 09/25/07 at 07:48:10

Wet-plate clutches always have some drag, especially with cold oil, even with the pressure plate lifted by pulling in the clutch lever.  In neutral the gearbox shafts spin freely but in gear the mainshaft is locked against engine compression.  So naturally you don't feel the residual drag in the clutch in neutral but it becomes noticeable in gear.  When left a while the clutch plates tend to stick together so selecting first gear after a cold start causes the familiar grinding clunk.  I wouldn't worry.

IP Logged
metri

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #10 - 09/25/07 at 08:06:52

Thanks all for the advice. I will triple check the cable, but really I know it's not that. The explanation that a little resistance is normal is the hope I cling too Smiley. I'll see how it goes when the bike is warm and possibly change the oil alos. Unfortunately I've got rain today and possibly for the next 3 so it may take a bit to check.

Thanks again for all the advice. This forum has helped me out so much with my savage. I can't imagine what I would have done without this resource.

Brian

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 09/25/07 at 09:10:45

When I start in gear with the clutch pulled, mine literally jumps when I hit the starter. I know mine is working fine, plates stick a bit, oil is viscous & drags between plates.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #12 - 09/25/07 at 09:57:20

Since I switched to the 20w50 oil, mine lurches a bit on a cold start (while in gear).  It never did that with the thinner oil.

So I treat it like my old RD350 and put in Neutral to start (Oh memories......)

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #13 - 09/25/07 at 10:01:39

I'd be expecting the release cam inside the cover to be breaking soon. Mine acted that way before it broke in two pieces and I got to push it off, click into 1st and cruise the stop signs carefull on the way home. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #14 - 09/25/07 at 10:03:29

Since it's not listed and since it is an add on to Mornhm's reply,  

You describe low oil symptoms.........   I was going to say old oil too , but you just replaced the clutch last month so it should be new oil.

I assume you checked the oil level and that you're using motorcycle grade oil.  

If so, and you swear that the cable is fine,  you may need to pop the cover and check plate alignment within the clutch basket to make sure they aren't rubbing the basket which may cause them to seperate a bit crooked  and touch too much.

PS: This morning 55 deg F, bike warmed up five minutes, there was no difference (or maybe I should say no noticeable difference) between a neutral roll and a 1st gear with clutch lever pulled in roll.   I'm using Mobile One V-Twin MC oil.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 07:29:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › resistance rolling in gear with clutch Fully pulld

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.